• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Solal-Griffin album makes a nice contrast with the Solal-Toots album I mentioned yesterday. Interestingly, they both begin with versions of "You Stepped Out of a Dream." Both Griffin and Solal are in fine form, but the pairing with Toots leaves more room for interaction on Solal's part. 

The Bob Zurke  story is a sad one. Dead of alcoholism at age 32, apparently, aside from his piano playing, he was no prize while among the living -- a compulsive womanizer and gambler (unpaid bookies reportedly had one of Zurke's legs broken and promised to break the other), his lack of hygiene was notable, and he regularly asked Bob Crosby bandmates for loans that were never repaid. When Jess Stacy replaced him, no tears were shed.

51s2jC0BA3L._AC_US218_.jpg

51JkljEr1ML._AC_US218_.jpg

51-ctH3Ns8L._AC_US218_.jpg

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The Solal-Griffin album makes a nice contrast with the Solal-Toots album I mentioned yesterday. Interestingly, they both begin with versions of "You Stepped Out of a Dream." Both Griffin and Solal are in fine form, but the pairing with Toots leaves more room for interaction on Solal's part. 

The Bob Zurke  story is a sad one. Dead of alcoholism at age 32, apparently, aside from his piano playing, he was no prize while among the living -- a compulsive womanizer and gambler (unpaid bookies reportedly had one of Zurke's legs broken and promised to break the other), his lack of hygiene was notable, and he regularly asked Bob Crosby bandmates for loans that were never repaid. When Jess Stacy replaced him, no tears were shed.

That Frigo album is very fine!

i am now listening to:

McCoy Tyner: Echoes of a Friend

Edited by Hot Ptah

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

51OTTYv4dkL._SY355_.jpg

:tup

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Sad, indeed, about Zurke. Just giving his "Honky Tonk Train Blues" a spin. Long time since I heard that one.

He has a surprisingly lengthy Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Zurke                                                                

Now listening to:

MI0001531738.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by BillF