Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4599279-1369736018-4275.jpeg.jpg

I was happy to score a CD reissue of this a couple of years ago.  It's a shame that Sam Dockery dropped out of the national scene, because he didn't wilt when playing with Blakey or Haynes.  I need to find my physical copy to see if the liner notes say whether this was a working band.

Edited by Justin V

I've been listening to this disc over and over in the car for the past few days --

13792342579368607_zuHFbbE0_c.jpg?format=

It had been  a long time since I last listened to this, and I forgot just how good it is.  Brian Wilson can still make pop music do things that most other songwriters no longer attempt -- making music which is both catchy and complex, breezily enjoyable yet also occasionally unusually intimate, music which simultaneously brings forth a smile and some tears.  These are songs which could only have come from Brian Wilson.  Any other songwriter could come up with a ditty about their first love; Brian Wilson writes about that subject in "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" and there's a whole lot of history there ("Summer, '61 / A goddess became my song"), both for him and us.  The lines that always get to me are :  "I had this dream / Singing with my brothers / In harmony, supporting each other".  Whether he's talking about a dream from 1958 or 2008, we all know how that dream turned out and it's a relief to hear him sing "Oh, it's magical / I'm glad it happened to me / Fell asleep in the band room / Woke up in history".  This is really happy, enjoyable and contented music from the perspective of a man whose life had for so long been none of those things.  Special in so many ways!

Edited by duaneiac

9 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I think heart failure was a euphemism for overdose.

Yes, probably. I’m just doing some reading about her and it sounds like she was becoming a pre-eminent musician when she died; she had wowed people like Herb Ellis.