• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still remember very well when this was brand new in the record store. I think it must have been early in 1978.

At first I found it strange with that bird sounds for some minutes , but started to like it very much. 

In 1977 Mingus played "Cumbia" almost on all live occasions and they did it with a lot of power and very extended versions that went more than 20 minutes, maybe 25. 

And the shout song of Mingus in the middle of the composition with 

"Who said mama´s little baby likes shortnin´bread?
That´s some lie some white man of her said....."

This in my opinion is a forerunner of the Rap-Movement, really !!!

And the 1976 "Music for Todo Modo" is also great , the italian studio musicians are fine, and it has many moods, and one of the highlights is the flute-bowed bass duet by George Adams and Mingus at the end.

My copy has also to short pieces of Mingus on Piano on a thing titled "Slow Waltz" which is what is included with Jimmy Rowles on "Three Or Four Shades of Blues". 

Download (4).jpg

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, I Told You So (Colemine)Image result for delvon lamarr I told you so

11 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I still remember very well when this was brand new in the record store. I think it must have been early in 1978.

At first I found it strange with that bird sounds for some minutes , but started to like it very much. 

In 1977 Mingus played "Cumbia" almost on all live occasions and they did it with a lot of power and very extended versions that went more than 20 minutes, maybe 25. 

And the shout song of Mingus in the middle of the composition with 

"Who said mama´s little baby likes shortnin´bread?
That´s some lie some white man of her said....."

This in my opinion is a forerunner of the Rap-Movement, really !!!

And the 1976 "Music for Todo Modo" is also great , the italian studio musicians are fine, and it has many moods, and one of the highlights is the flute-bowed bass duet by George Adams and Mingus at the end.

My copy has also to short pieces of Mingus on Piano on a thing titled "Slow Waltz" which is what is included with Jimmy Rowles on "Three Or Four Shades of Blues". 

Download (4).jpg

Great album, in my opinion also.

799884.jpg?ae=1655788141

Disc 1 of 4.  My thanks to whoever it was who posted about this set on this thread a little while back.  That inspired me to seek it out and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far.  This set features sides by every one from Slim Gaillard to Perry Como and from Kay Kyser to Count Basie.  My favorite track from the first disc was this uplifting tune by Martha Tilton.  Recorded May 10, 1945, two days after VE-Day, the music & musicians here communicate, even today,  that that blue horizon was indeed in sight at long, long last.  Billy Butterfield is on trumpet and George Wettling on drums.