JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

59,179 posts in this topic

On 21.12.2021 at 8:30 AM, Gheorghe said:

I got that fantastic double CD from my wife for birthday. 

It´s great how she sometimes finds something I don´t have and probably might like.

Such a great stuff, I have listend only to the first CD and I´m bursting with enthusiasm. 

"Medieval Overture" bring memories back to those old days when this was brand new. 

Chick, Stanley and Lennie are really fantastic, and the guitarist Gambale is new here , instead of Al Di´Meola" and the biggest surprise is Jean Luc Ponty. His composition "Renaissance" is fantastic ! 

I´m looking forward hearing the second CD. 

220px-RTF_The_Mothership_Returns.jpg

Yesterday evening I was listening to the second CD and I´m just mesmerized. It´s such a fantastic concert . Unusual for RTF on the second CD they go into straight ahead on two occasions, on one Lenny White provides a kind of "Messenger Beat" like Blakey. 
The most beautiful thing is the medley "Concierto de Aranjuez/Spain".  

I heard there is also a DVD about that concert. My DVD-player is "kaputt". We´ll get another one after the Winter Holidays and will buy it. RTF with Jean Luc Ponty for me, and "Swan Lake " balet for my wife (but also for me, since we saw it live with the Bolșoi  ballett (Lacul Lebedelor =  Lake of the Swans" and loved it, and maybe she would agree to look at "my" RTF" also....". 

Edited by Gheorghe

57 minutes ago, aparxa said:

P2_G6343509W.JPG

:tup

Now playing:

71HYXlfmuyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

33 minutes ago, BillF said:

Now playing:

Oh yes ! And, how do you like it ? 

Jim Cullum Jazz Band "Porgy 'n Bess" (the studio album, I also have the 2 cd live set). 

Jim was a real jazz personna in the San Antonio/Central Texas area. I saw him a handful of times and it was always a joy. He mastered the Chicago Style!

61ZWteCtdGL._SX300_.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

NP:

51fOu3IS0kL._SY555_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yes ! And, how do you like it ? 

Well, I know there's been a controversial discussion about Higgins here recently, but I'd have been happier with another drummer. I don't think his insistent accenting suits the mainly simple lines of Dexter. Unlike you, I found Harewood's drumming just right on Doin' Allright. Next I'll be listening to Dexter Calling to see how I feel about Philly in this context.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Now playing:

Now:

Live at Bradley's II: The Perfect Set: Kenny Barron Trio: Amazon.ca: Music

3 hours ago, aparxa said:

P2_G6343509W.JPG

Love this recording.

:tup:tup

15 minutes ago, BillF said:

Well, I know there's been a controversial discussion about Higgins here recently, but I'd have been happier with another drummer. I don't think his insistent accenting suits the mainly simple lines of Dexter. Unlike you, I found Harewood's drumming just right on Doin' Allright. Next I'll be listening to Dexter Calling to see how I feel about Philly in this context.

I love Kenny Clarke's playing on "Our Man in Paris". Perfect drumming for Dexter IMHO. 

I've had many copies of Miles Davis "Nefertiti" in various formats but this Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab SACD sounds the very best.

This LP cover always confuses me as it seems to me this one should be for "Sorcerer" and that one should be for "Nefertiti!" It always jars me a bit too that Herbie Hancock is in the right channel.

Love this music!

miles-davis-nefertiti-2lp-180g-vinyl-mfs

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

51fOu3IS0kL._SY555_.jpg

40 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

R-4848864-1485602871-7838.jpeg.jpg

CD1

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Love this music!

miles-davis-nefertiti-2lp-180g-vinyl-mfs

Me too. :tup

R-6399031-1422264427-3071.jpeg.jpg

R-6399031-1422264426-9829.jpeg.jpg

This is a good record.

6 hours ago, aparxa said:

P2_G6343509W.JPG

❤❤❤ !!!

a4224730275_10.jpg

So strange to only release one track from 'Pendulum' but have three from Cream.  The trio tracks are fabulous in lovely sound

R-7721010-1473758005-7784.jpeg.jpg

870x489_ella-joe-020913.jpg

Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass (Live) "Sophisticated Lady" OJC cd

Wow. Get the volume just right and it's like they are right here. The stereo is really firing on all cylinders this week.

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

51fOu3IS0kL._SY555_.jpg

The best Conrad Herwig "Latinized Jazz Project" by far ....