Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22039033-089183836222a1b00441b6222a1b004

This is the most recent release, "Planetario da Gave" on Far Out Records 2 cd. 

Playing a Hermeto Pascoal album for the first time is a lot like Gump's box of chocolate. You really don't quite know specifically what to expect. From a February 1981 appearance by Pascoal with "O Grupo" . . .  and an exciting listen.

I first heard this album when first issued about 1959 or so. Didn't care for it then. But now many decades later I decided to give it a listen again.

It began (for me) very dull and cold sounding, with no jazz feeling. Things improved after about ten minutes into the Concerto. Cannonball and Art Farmer's playing was warmer and their solos had a jazz sensibility. Brooks deserves credit for attempting something different from the usual jazz albums being produced. 

So on the whole a mixed bag. There was not enough music that appealed to me beyond a modest level. It is doubtful that this is an album I will choose to listen to again. 

81Gs-bxEciL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Edited by Peter Friedman

Freddie Hubbard "Straight Life" King Record Japan "    CTI 50th Anniversary Special Collection" cd, KICJ 2595.

Man it sounds good.

LTI1ODMuanBlZw.jpeg

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Jack DeJohnette
Electric Piano – Herbie Hancock
Guitar – George Benson
Percussion – Richard "Pablo" Landrum
Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine "In Concert, Volume One" King Records Japan "    CTI 50th Anniversary Special Collection" cd, KICJ 2582

Also sounding really good!

ODktMzIwOC5qcGVn.jpeg

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Jack DeJohnette
Guitar – Eric Gale
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Saxophone – Stanley Turrentine
Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard

On 4/10/2022 at 6:24 AM, BillF said:

Whatever happened to this laddie? In this 2013 album he was able to hold his own at the age of 23 with the cream of the contemporary scene (his father is the label's owner), but googling him now produces a blank ever since. Perhaps he's one of those who preferred a career in law, say, to being a jazz musician. ;)

That seems to be the case. You know, as Phil Woods used to say, if you had to choose between becoming say, a lawyer or a brain surgeon, or becoming a jazz musician, best to choose law or medicine.   

MS04MDQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg