What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Mars Williams, the great tenor player whom I know (best) from Hal Russell's NRG Ensemble, has over the last few years been releasing records wherein he plays Albert Ayler tunes and Christmas related music together.  

And with other great players, too.

• 11 months later...
On 12/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

Mars Williams, the great tenor player whom I know (best) from Hal Russell's NRG Ensemble, has over the last few years been releasing records wherein he plays Albert Ayler tunes and Christmas related music together.  

I got flack for saying this on another forum, but I think some of Ayler's repertoire already sounds like Christmas music... I'm specifically thinking the VV recordings with Don Ayler...

So this morning on my drive into work, Sirius/XM's Jazz channel was playing a "Let it Snow" by a vocalist I had not heard of, Sarah Partridge. As I listened, I thought it must be an older recording with Horace Silver on piano. I was pretty surprised when I got into work and saw that it was just recorded in 2022 with Allan Farnham on piano.

It available to listen on bandcamp: https://sarahpartridge.bandcamp.com/track/let-it-snow

Tell me that doesn't sound like Horace! :)

BTW - why do some artists refuse to identify their backing band? I had to Google this recording for quite a while before I found something that listed the band members and now I can't even find where that was again. So I think the pianist is Allan Farnham.

I found the only listing of the band! It was in one of Partridge's Facebook posts referencing a Jersey Jazz Review.

JJ_12_DEC22_FINAL-36.jpg

Edited by bresna

I have picked up many cheap-o jazz Christmas CDs over the years.  Many of these are grey market, sometimes using bad source material.  Anyway, nearly all of these contain at least one track that I can't readily find elsewhere.  I should go through them one by one and post about them here at some time, if anyone is interested.  I could probably do a compilation of the oddball tracks from each of these.

On 12/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, mikeweil said:

Our all time favourite:

OTQtMzU4MS5qcGVn.jpeg

If you haven't already, take a peek at that recent Vince Guaraldi thread, in which I detail all of the music heard in the TV show, and how to assemble a complete Charlie Brown Christmas inexpensively.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

13 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I saw your post, but I am not a Peanuts/Guaraldi completist.

Neither am I, far from it.  But you can improve the album and get rid of some of the dead weight.  If the album as released is a favorite, it can be even better.  For example, ditch the dreadful "Little Drum" song, and add some of the tracks from A Boy Named Charlie Brown that appear during the play rehearsal.  The album as released is far from perfect, and the sequencing leaves a lot to be desired.

• 10 months later...