JSngry

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, paul secor said:

After 5 years, Machado's best years will be behind him. Probably, but his seasons age 31-33 or so should still be pretty damn good, assuming his defense doesn't take a severe Jeter-esque turn.

And I think that Harper's best years are already behind him. Let the suckers who run the Phillies have him.

Sorry Paul but this is ludicrous. Harper just completed his age 25 season. He should be a force for a long time and playing in Philly would only make him a bigger force.

15 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Don Newcombe has died at 92.  RIP.

My dad took me to see him pitch for Spokane in 1961.

Sad.  Something I had no idea about:

“Newk” was also an accomplished hitter, with a lifetime .271/.338/.367 batting line and 15 home runs in nearly a thousand MLB plate appearances. Remarkably, he even turned in part of a season as an outfielder/first baseman in Japan at the end of his career, slashing .262/.316/.473 and launching a dozen long balls in 301 plate appearances for the Chunichi Dragons.

41 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Hate to be a downer after just his first spring training start, but Madison Bumgarner has never looked the same after his motorcycle accident in 2017, and this is the final year on his contract. 

Not one to watch that closely since so many games are so late on the right coast, but I'd have to agree with you. But while his ERA is half a run worse the last two seasons he is still way better than league average. What's noticeably more mediocre is his Fielding Independent ERA which is barely under 4.00 the last two years.  Suggests that his still decent regular ERA is covering up some luck.

So he'd be hitting free agency after his age 29 season? I'd certainly say buyer beware, even if he actually has a bounce-back season.

28 minutes ago, soulpope said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-aaron-hicks-yankees-agree-70m-7-140702395--mlb.html

Putting most likely the "Harper + Yankees" saga to bed ....

Is it just me or is that a substantial amount of money and years for a guy about to go on the wrong side of 30, who has played over 100 games all of twice in his career, has a career BA of .236 and an OPS+ of 96?  I mean, I think maybe the guy has figured it out, his last two years were way better than the others ... but that's a long contract for a guy who hasn't truly wowed the league.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Is it just me or is that a substantial amount of money and years for a guy about to go on the wrong side of 30, who has played over 100 games all of twice in his career, has a career BA of .236 and an OPS+ of 96?  I mean, I think maybe the guy has figured it out, his last two years were way better than the others ... but that's a long contract for a guy who hasn't truly wowed the league.

Some Yankee fans (including this one) agree with you.  

On 2/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, Dan Gould said:

Its kind of like Ellsbury only, you know, without the history of success before the money commitment! :g

I agree that the Yankees have overpaid (surprise, surprise), but with Hicks, it's not all about offensive production.  He's an above average defensive presence.

39 minutes ago, Dave James said:

I agree that the Yankees have overpaid (surprise, surprise), but with Hicks, it's not all about offensive production.  He's an above average defensive presence.

Hicks is also two years younger than Ellsbury was when he signed, and the contract is for less than half the money Ellsbury received.  But it does show a lot of faith on the part of the Yankees that Hicks' offensive improvements in the past two years are sustainable.  I'm also concerned about how injury-prone he tends to be. 

24 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hicks is also two years younger than Ellsbury was when he signed, and the contract is for less than half the money Ellsbury received.  But it does show a lot of faith on the part of the Yankees that Hicks' offensive improvements in the past two years are sustainable.  I'm also concerned about how injury-prone he tends to be. 

Hence the comparison to Ellsbury.  Obviously the money isn't really comparable the Yankees can eat that contract if Hicks continues to get injured or just isn't that great going forward. But its a long commitment, well into his decline years. If he isn't an elite defender (not even sure he is but let's say for the sake of argument) is that a contract that can be unloaded if he can't hold down CF?