Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Brubeck "Jackpot" CL 2712 mono- does it actually exist?

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

--has anyone actually ever seen one?  Its from 1968 and does have an assigned mono cat. #- promos were stereo

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to discogs, 33 claim to own the US mono LP CL 2712.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the many Jackpot LP listings on eBay all album covers show both CL2712 and CS9512 in the upper left-hand corner. The LP cover also says "stereo". This leads me to believe that CL2712 was never released in mono as a separate LP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an LP that used to turn up regularly in Half-Prices around here, a few decades ago.

Yes, there is mono:

R-8448514-1461805179-8527.jpeg.jpg

R-8448514-1461805148-6909.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recorded live in Vegas, half of the songs are gambling-related and it seemed they were 'playing to the audience'.  For Brubeck completists only. My copy was a mono promo with pasted-on timing strip and yes, I sold it to a completist..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Brubeck was never happy with this LP because of the iffy piano that wouldn't hold its pitch. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Dave Brubeck was never happy with this LP because of the iffy piano that wouldn't hold its pitch. 

 

Both, that's true.  But oddly enough, it's not a bad record!  They're not playing down to anyone, though it's a lounge gig...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Is there a US mono though--- this is columbia 1968 when big brother & the holding co cheap thrills didnt even get the mono cat # listed in the FIRST billboard mention of the album- this one at least has it listed- i wonder if there really is a stock mono US copy of this- 

 

 

oh bill nelson i see that oh god oh you have a mono promo- yea i have a stereo promo w/ timing strip! wild!

 

oh god!  2/24/68-----

 

 

Capture

 

10 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Recorded live in Vegas, half of the songs are gambling-related and it seemed they were 'playing to the audience'.  For Brubeck completists only. My copy was a mono promo with pasted-on timing strip and yes, I sold it to a completist..

was your copy a white label promo or red stock label mono? thx!

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Both, that's true.  But oddly enough, it's not a bad record!  They're not playing down to anyone, though it's a lounge gig...

Yeah, I picked up the Japanese CD reissue a few years ago and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the playing. Pretty good stuff!

The piano is a drag, but hell, if I threw out all my jazz records with bad pianos....shudder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isnt the out of tune piano better for the more "raggy" style of numbers, i dont think im gonna hate it once i give it a serious sit-down listen.  

 

---also im concerned regarding the cd in respect to Brubeck-----  brubeck specifically did not want it on cd but i guess after he died, those wishes were not followed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it just came out in Japan, the CD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Just" is not quite accurate as it came out in '15, but Sony has been good about keeping items in print and it's still available . . . in stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, meant that it came out just in Japan. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My copy was a mono white label promo from the collection of the (then) general manager of WSB-AM in Atlanta (along with 150 more LPs at $3 each, my biggest score).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice!!  yea the mono stock really might not exist for the title-  the mono cat # is listed on cover which throws me off though.  take for example flatts n scruggs bonnie & clyde- no mono cat # listed, but they put a special sticker on it-  (the top of the sticker says "special mono")

R-3860832-1347211934-8779.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sorry, meant that it came out just in Japan. I think.

Got ya, that went over my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 27, 2019 at 3:48 PM, Bill Nelson said:

Recorded live in Vegas, half of the songs are gambling-related and it seemed they were 'playing to the audience'.  For Brubeck completists only. 

Are you kidding?  Your description is a ringing endorsement!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when i put it on headphones @ the store i immediately thought it sounded interesting- seemed like joe morillo was mixed as high up as brubeck and desmond- exited to jam this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

nice!!  yea the mono stock really might not exist for the title-  the mono cat # is listed on cover which throws me off though.  take for example flatts n scruggs bonnie & clyde- no mono cat # listed, but they put a special sticker on it-  (the top of the sticker says "special mono")

R-3860832-1347211934-8779.jpeg.jpg

A guess: the mono version might have been made only for radio use.  Assuming the country stations were AM, it would've sounded better over the air than folded-down stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes.  now what i am not trained to determine, is how you tell if it is a dedicated mono, or a fold down.  I guess there is a way determine that, but I do not know the peramaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

A guess: the mono version might have been made only for radio use.  Assuming the country stations were AM, it would've sounded better over the air than folded-down stereo.

The AM stations I worked at had stereo cartridges on the turntables, wired to mono output.  (This was in the early '60s.)

And of course, there were stereo 45s issued, too...  The record companies offered good service to radio stations, but I don't recall too many exclusive-to-radio mono things.  Not that the US companies didn't -- we just didn't in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

when i put it on headphones @ the store i immediately thought it sounded interesting- seemed like joe morillo was mixed as high up as brubeck and desmond- exited to jam this one

Joe Morello is as loud as, or even louder than, Brubeck on most or all of the stereo albums.  That's why the mono ones are so much better.

True, you can adjust the balance in stereo, but then most of the group is coming out of one speaker and Joe Morello is in the other.  Mono is the way to go on these.  IMO. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Dave didn't want it on cd.  I mean if you wanna seek out a record fine, but Dave specifically didn't want it on cd.  This and PARIS--- Im not quite sure if Wilshire-Ebell (fantasy) was on that shortlist, or if that one was just really hard for me to find.  but i remember Jackpot and Paris for sure

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.