Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larry Kart

Chet in Chicago (Enja)

19 posts in this topic

Spur of the moment 1986 studio date with pianist Bradley Young, bassist  Larry Gray, drummer Rusty Jones, and tenorman Ed Peterson (on three tracks). Topnotch latter-day Chet (you may not believe this free-wheeling "Funny Valentine"), captured in excellent sound. 54 minutes plus.

41ZsSGXnrdL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, Larry Kart said:

Spur of the moment 1986 studio date with pianist Bradley Young, bassist  Larry Gray, drummer Rusty Jones, and tenorman Ed Peterson (on three tracks). Topnotch latter-day Chet (you may not believe this free-wheeling "Funny Valentine"), captured in excellent sound. 54 minutes plus.

41ZsSGXnrdL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

 

I played this on the weekday afternoon show several times after it came out and recall liking it a great deal. I’ve long wanted to do a Night Lights program about Chet’s later-period recordings; prompted by both his upcoming 90th birth anniversary and several of Larry’s recent posts here, I’m going ahead and penciling it in for December. In terms of 1980s sides (which will most likely define the parameters of the show), I have Blues For A Reason, The Last Great Concert V. 1 and 2, the Let’s Get Lost soundtrack, and the Chet In Chicago date that Larry discusses above. What other Baker albums from the 1980s would Larry and other posters here recommend that I delve into for a Baker Night Lights show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked through my collection and found quite a number of interesting Chet Baker recordings from the 1980's.

Chet Baker & Paul Bley - Steeplechase

Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B - Timeless

Chet Baker - As time Goes By - Timelss

Chet Baker - Cool cats - Timeless

Chet Baker - At Capolinea - Red

Chet Baker - meets Space Jazz Trio - Philology

Chet Baker - In Tokyo - Evidence

Chet Baker - Live In Sweden - Dragon

Chet Baker - The Improvisor - CJR

Chet Baker -  (in France) - Carlyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to those mentioned above:

Diane (with Paul Bley) Steeplechase

Chet's Choice (Criss Cross)

Live from the Moonlight (Philology)

The Improviser (Cadence)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another superior date from the '80's is Peace (Enja), with David Friedman (vibes), Buster Williams and Joe Chambers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Another superior date from the '80's is Peace (Enja), with David Friedman (vibes), Buster Williams and Joe Chambers.

Right on, mjzee. I think that's one of Baker's very best records -- not just from late in his life, from any period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Larry Kart for bringing up evaluation of late Chet and merits of Munich folks of Enja records digging up those pearls.

But: Though "In Chicago" is a nice, diverse set highlighting a seldom heard  "We ll meet again" this album surely does not belong to  his best recordings of the eightis.

Consider: "From the Moonlight" "Live in Tokyo", "Sesjun Radio Shows", "Diane" and of course "Last Great Concert"- all playing in a different, higher league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently "discovered" this new-to-me Chet Baker album on YouTube:

Tracklist: A1 Gershwin Goes to Rio 0:00 A2 Leaving 6:26 A3 You've Flipped Out 16:04 B1 Tempus Fugit 20:25 B2 Blues pour C. R. 25:23 B3 Prayer for the Newborn 31:26 B4 When I Fall in Love 34:59

Credits: Chet Baker - trumpet, vocals  Nicola Stilo - alto flute  Dennis Luxion - piano  Riccardo Del Fra - bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his excellent Baker book, Jeroen de Valk says of "Leaving": "The best Chet Baker record you've never heard.... Never issued on CD!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for PEACE and MR. B. STROLLIN', also on Enja, is very fine, too. Chet revisits Zieff's "Sad Walk" on this date.

 

Edited by Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn´t there a quite obscure album titled "Last Recordings as a quartet" , from About 1988 at Rosenheim, Germany ? 

And it had a strange titled tune on it "Funk in Deep Freeze", whatever that means….

But it must also have had Nico Stilo , Dennis Luxion, Richardo DelFra on it, I think they were among Chet´s favourite Players in the last years. 

If Chet appeared at all and concerts were not chancelled, I always heard him in top form. 

As late as late in 1987 I saw him live at "Fritz´s " and even if he looked like a homeless, he played like a Young God…… fantastic, and that´s my last memory of Chet Baker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe said:

Another vote for PEACE and MR. B. STROLLIN', also on Enja, is very fine, too. Chet revisits Zieff's "Sad Walk" on this date.

 

Both excellent ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One gem of the eighties I forgot to mention earlier:

Chet Baker Live in Sweden with Ake Johansson trio (Dragon, 1983) If you´re looking for the definitve haunting ballad then stop searching. You´ll find it here.
 Listen to Chet playing Charlie Haden´s "Ellen and David" live in Gothenburg - this one knocks me out every time.

Now let´s really talk obscure and diggin deeper: If you ever get the chance to buy it, grab for it, because it´s really fantastic and extremely rare:
Recorded in Italy: "The Incredible Chet Baker plays and sings. Recorded in 1977" (ANS)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then there's this, recorded in 1982; it didn't make much of an impression on me the one time I heard it:

71ASxuFTGlL._SL1050_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balladeer said:

One gem of the eighties I forgot to mention earlier:

Chet Baker Live in Sweden with Ake Johansson trio (Dragon, 1983) If you´re looking for the definitve haunting ballad then stop searching. You´ll find it here.
 Listen to Chet playing Charlie Haden´s "Ellen and David" live in Gothenburg - this one knocks me out every time.

 

This is definitely among my favorite Chet Baker recordings from the 80's. Don't forget to pay attention to pianist Are Johansson. This guy can play. I have a few other recordings with Johansson as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.10.2019 at 5:42 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Just looked through my collection and found quite a number of interesting Chet Baker recordings from the 1980's.

Chet Baker & Paul Bley - Steeplechase

Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B - Timeless

Chet Baker - In Tokyo - Evidence

Chet Baker - Live In Sweden - Dragon

Outstanding late Chet Baker efforts ....

Edited by soulpope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.11.2019 at 10:34 PM, Larry Kart said:

In his excellent Baker book, Jeroen de Valk says of "Leaving": "The best Chet Baker record you've never heard.... Never issued on CD!"

A very goog book indeed ! 

"Leaving".....I don´t have the Album, but I think I have the tune (a Richie Beirach composition, right?) on another record from Paris 1980 featuring Karl Ratzer on guitar (the famous austrian guitarist !) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Friedman mentioned Chet Baker's album "At Capolinea" on the Red label.  That album includes the quintessential version of Bruno Martino's composition, "Estate" (Summer). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.