Ahmad Jamal

Milestones

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing Poinciana in the live version from the Impulse LP on AFN. But anything else was impossible to find in German record shops. Only during a trip to Paris I was able to buy half a dozen used LPs I always wanted to hear.

Jamal is unique among pianists, and a big influence on the scene just for that. His ways of playing in a trio changed several times but all are interesting. 

15 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

AM is "Mittelwelle" (MW), FM is "Ultrakurzwelle" (UKW).

And AFN is "American Forces Network" (the radio station for the US soldiers stationed in Germany - though of course other local/regional AFN stations broadcast for US soldiers stationed in other countries too).

Oh interesting. I had forgotten about the fact that once in Germany were stationed US soldiers. 
As much as I remember (as I said I was more a record listener than a radio listener because I wanted to hear albums not tracks), when I was a boy and had that old radio that existed then (with that wooden frame and those white yellowish buttons it was only the O3 that I "listened" to. Seeking for music by chance on MW, LW or KW was stessing, because those always had them "parazites" in them to avoid proper listening. It always cracked or beeped (but not bopped😄)

18 hours ago, BillF said:

Around 1960 I used to listen to AFN radio from Germany, just about hearing the music through a mass of static. The things I used to do to hear jazz, which the BBC largely disapproved of!

Of course, more promising (and with better reception) radio fare in those days was the Voice of America Jazz Hour with Willis Conover.

Radio Luxembourg with its Jamboree Jazz Time also deserves a mention - where I first heard Coltrane and Ornette (in the spring of 1959).