Eddie Gale Blue Notes

bertrand

34 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Both these albums seemed like distant (ok, maybe very distant) cousins of parts of Escalator Over the Hill.

Gale's albums preceeded Bley's work by several years.

I think the Gale records are in line with things like Andrew Hill's Lift Every Voice, Freddy Roach's All That's Good, mixed in with what Archie Shepp was beginning to do, and some basic "in the air" Black Nationaist thoughts about community. They definitely were part of certain jazz and community currents of the time, although they certainly made their own niche.

I enjoy both of them very much. The first probably has the edge in mood, to me it really feels of a piece, finding a perfect balance between all the stuff packed into it (soul jazz, free, soul, the voices, the politics ...), the second is a bit wilder and maybe even better in making it all work - but the mood on fhe first is just so striking!

I've got the Japanese reissue of "Ghetto Music" and that Euro vresion of "Black Rhythm Happening" - the later definitely not an edition to really look out for, just a flimsy 2-fold booklet that's blank inside and fails to even provide a recording date ... I seem to remember that series to be French, but I may be tricked by memory? There was a Mouzon reissue (Mind Transplant) and a couple of others from roughly the first half of the seventies in the batch, but I think none but the Gale held enough interest for me then, can't remember any others than it and the Mouzon, but likely some Bobbi Humphrey or Gene Harris in there, too?

-

Ha, found it, that's the batch I meant - not part of the Rare Groove series, I think:

NAT ADDERLEY - GEORGE DUKE / WALTER BOOKER / ROY McCURDY / AIRTO MOREIRA / MAYUTO OCTAVIO / KING ERRISON : SOUL OF THE BIBLE - (1972 - Ex CAPITOL)

RONNIE FOSTER - ERNEST HAYES / DAVID SPINOZZA / JOHN TROPEA : SWEET REVIVAL - (1972)

EDDIE GALE feat. JIMMY LYONS / ROLAND ALEXANDER / RUSSELL LYLE / JUDAH SAMUEL / HENRY PEARSON / ELVIN JONES / JOHN ROBINSON / JOANN GALE STEVENS... : BLACK RHYTHM HAPPENING - (1969)

GRANT GREEN feat. MARVIN STAMM / IRVING 'MARKY' MARKOWITZ / HAROLD VICK / PHIL BODNER / RICHARD TEE / CORNELL DUPREE / GORDON EDWARDS / GRADY TATE... : THE FINAL COME-DOWN - (1971)

GENE HARRIS feat. AL AARONS / GEORGE BOHANNON / MIKE ALTSCHUL / FRED JACKSON / LEE RITENOUR / JOHN ROWIN / CHUCK RAINEY / KENNETH RICE... : NEXUS - (1975)

STANLEY JORDAN - WAYNE BRATHWAITE / PETER ERSKINE / SAMMY FIGUEROA / ONAJE ALLAN GUMBS / OMAR HAKIM / CHARNETT MOFFETT / BUGSY MOORE / AL Di MEOLA : MAGIC TOUCH - (1984)

ALPHONSE MOUZON - TOMMY BOLIN / JAY GRAYDON / LEE RITENOUR / JERRY PETERS / HENRY DAVIS : MIND TRANSPLANT - (1974)

(I kept trying with the Green for several years but was never convinced enough to get it.)

Edited by king ubu