Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sonnyhill

Bandcamp vs. Spotify

4 posts in this topic

Thanks.

That's an interesting article. Perhaps a little  gushing and cozy in its presentation of Bandcamp.

I am impressed at how serious the backlash has been to Daniel Ek's tone deaf and rather objectionable presentation at the end of last month. It seems to come just at the wrong time: with Bandcamp rising and the television / film equivalents to Spotify like Netflix finally encountering competition.

On the edit, I should add how impressed I have been recently with the increasing depth of offering on Bandcamp. Increasingly all the new music I buy is from the service. There was a thread a few weeks ago when some others mentioned the same.  

One's the high street chain based on shifting units the other's the local indie based on consumer connection and shifting fewer units.

I'm sure other analogies abound.

When I saw the writer was in Galaxie 500 I had to smile, quintessential Indie band which isn't a bad thing at all but easy to see why he loves Bandcamp. He probably had trouble getting his CDs stocked in Tower and HMV back in the dark ages

Edited by mjazzg

I don't quite get the comparison: Bandcamp sells music, Spotify streams it for either a fee or your  having to listen to commercials.