Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AllenLowe

A question for all youse guys about CDs

89 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, porcy62 said:

I said "usually PC headphone output sucks". There are stand alone headphone amps that make sound gorgeous a $300 headphone. The output of my Mac into my preamp sounds bad. My experience.

My experience too. I bought a headphone amp made by Musical Fidelity for € 125.00 for my € 300.00 Focal headphones that also functions as a D/A converter and makes music from my laptop sound several degrees better than the headphone plug of the laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we've drifted a ways from "do youse guys still buy CD's"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, felser said:

Well, we've drifted a ways from "do youse guys still buy CD's"!

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, sgcim said:

Look man, just sell me all your Dick Katz and Davey Schildkraut records/CDs I don't have, and we'll call it a day!:g

and therein lies the rub - because of the historical projects I have been working on for 20 + years, my collection is organized like a step-by-step

study of all of American vernacular music from about 1900-1960. My long term goal, toward which I am making no progress, is to find an institution

that wants to preserve it and let me organized it for the purposes that I gathered it; for the short term I do want to sell off some of the excess. But there are parts

of this collection, as with Schildkraut et al, that are irreplaceable. On the other hand, if I die in the next year or two there will be no recourse and this thing will

likely just disappear.

Edited by AllenLowe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

and therein lies the rub - because of the historical projects I have been working on for 20 + years, my collection is organized like a step-by-step

study of all of American vernacular music from about 1900-1960. My long term goal, toward which I am making no progress, is to find an institution

that wants to preserve it and let me organized it for the purposes that I gathered it; for the short term I do want to sell off some of the excess. But there are parts

of this collection, as with Schildkraut et al, that are irreplaceable. On the other hand, if I die in the next year or two there will be no recourse and this thing will

likely just disappear.

Have you contacted the Marr Sound Archives at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, headed by Chuck Haddix? They would love the historical nature of your collection and take good care of it.

Mel Lewis’ widow gave them everything of Mel’s, for example, among many other collections which they have absorbed and  lovingly make available for researchers 

https://library.umkc.edu/marr/about

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Diego State is also a place you could check. There was that article a month or two ago about Bram Dijkstra's collection going there. They took his collection whole, which many other places were unable or unwilling to do.

Anyway, if you do start making a list of things to sell, definitely post it here. I'm enjoying "Turn Me Loose White Man" tremendously, and there are many things there I'd enjoy hearing more of.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Have you contacted the Marr Sound Archives at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, headed by Chuck Haddix? They would love the historical nature of your collection and take good care of it.

Mel Lewis’ widow gave them everything of Mel’s, for example, among many other collections which they have absorbed and  lovingly make available for researchers 

https://library.umkc.edu/marr/about

the problem is that if I donate the collection now I want it where I can get access, as I still have some things I want to to do and write. So I was hoping to find something in the New York/Connecticut/New Jersey area, but so far no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

On the other hand, if I die in the next year or two there will be no recourse and this thing will

likely just disappear.

If you add me to your will as custodian of Percy France recordings I'll do you and him proud. :ph34r::w:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If you add me to your will as custodian of Percy France recordings I'll do you and him proud. :ph34r::w:cool:

I'm sure you would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

and therein lies the rub - because of the historical projects I have been working on for 20 + years, my collection is organized like a step-by-step

study of all of American vernacular music from about 1900-1960. My long term goal, toward which I am making no progress, is to find an institution

that wants to preserve it and let me organized it for the purposes that I gathered it; for the short term I do want to sell off some of the excess. But there are parts

of this collection, as with Schildkraut et al, that are irreplaceable. On the other hand, if I die in the next year or two there will be no recourse and this thing will

likely just disappear.

Gene Puerling's wife gave North Texas University all his stuff, and they keep it in a special collection. I thought you were in remission; hope you're doing alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sgcim said:

Gene Puerling's wife gave North Texas University all his stuff, and they keep it in a special collection. I thought you were in remission; hope you're doing alright.

sorry, wasn't trying to be overly dramatic. I am doing very well, definitely in  remission, but the whole experience was so hellish that it enforced a certain

sense of new urgency about getting certain things resolved -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked some university music archives and librarian friends about your situation. They made the point that when the COVID-19 shutdown ends, it should be much easier to find a place for your collection.

The online and verbal discussions in their industry now center on how they are not taking in nearly as many collections right now, because of budget cuts due to COVID-19, and because of either practical or institution-mandated concerns about the COVID-19 risks involved with meeting someone and looking through their collection at their home or storage space. 
 

They told me that once the pandemic is much less a part of daily life, they anticipate acquiring many collections. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

sorry, wasn't trying to be overly dramatic. I am doing very well, definitely in  remission, but the whole experience was so hellish that it enforced a certain

sense of new urgency about getting certain things resolved -

Yeah, that can do it alright. I thought I was through after a serious case of DVT, so I made a CD of my own tunes. Then a specialist said it completely cleared up, and i didn't do anything with my CD.

Covid-19 had me so freaked out (I live in what WAS the epicenter of the epicenter), I churned out fifteen new big band charts. Then things got better, and I haven't even printed the parts out yet! We won't be able to play them till the new year anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend more money on cds a month/in a year than on food or anything else with the exception being my rent in this(much like vinyl) overrated overpriced (much like certain vinyls) piece of  shit  yuppie-hipster haven of a town(Austin, TX).

 

Music is my comfort, and the compact disc is my preferred format for the musics i am into Allen.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.