The COLEMAN HAWKINS thread

EKE BBB

Terry Martin: "The difference is that Hawkins is more often involved in the statement than in the thing stated. The emotional power is generated by the solo in progress and does not preexist as it does for Webster....Hawkins has forged techniques applicable by romantics because this is one aspect of his exploration of method; the tone, the harmonic basis all ideal, but not only his approach to other types of material but also the extraordinary objectivity of his ballads themselves belie a romantic mind. He exploits (n.b. the baroque attitude) ballad structure but does not accept its aesthetic axioms."

Therein lies modernism -- thinking of Jackson Pollack, for example, and "art" as primary verb, jazz as action, painting as process...In this day and age of comodification, looking at anything other than "noun" or "thing" is viewed as a form of ignorance ("Well, that's nice, but how can I make money on it? If you can't show me that, it must not have value." Or, "If Cole Porter put these emotions in a piece, who am I to take it somewhere else?") If it isn't a thing, how can it be sold or marketed. We are less a nation of ideas and more one of simple emotions since Hawk.

Hawk was aware of the tremendous influx of creativity in society at large in the 1920's on through to mid-century, and his playing kept pace, and as a result, so did all of jazz. In a day and age when scientific process and methodology, corporate regulation, environmental protection, medicine, foreign policy, education and the arts are all being corrupted by the political ideology of neo-conservatives (i.e. there is no such thing as truth, only political victory or defeat), the music of Coleman Hawkins is an ideal, now, as recorded artifact, finally a thing, of what America used to be -- In all its greatness, grandeur, materialism, ambition and spirit.

The observations of JS and TM underscored, for me, how America used to view itself, how it used to create, and how still people such as Ornette and Cecil are responding to the tremendous influx of information civilization made for itself in the 20th century. That virtuosity reflects the dynamics

of changes we no longer see encouraged or supported -- not in the spiritual ownership that was America, that jazz made famous -- as those changes inhibit efficiency. They're digressions from the grand march toward obscene wealth. And a world sans efficiency is a parallel universe that we can touch by listening to Hawk. Because the dramatic forms of his solos are ineffeciencies -- one could always just play Body and Soul, rather than devise the sensual drama of courtship, tension and erotic release that his solo describes.

Lest you think I'm shuckin', how heavy was Hawk? The Essen concert was attended by Peter Brotzmann, which is why he plays tenor. True.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A recording to add to the listings:

Coleman Hawkins at the Golden Circle 1963 (Dragon 265). Some very fine recordings recorded at the Golden Circle on 2 nights. Hawk is in rare form. He sounds relaxed, and at peace with himself and the world. (I know, I'm probably reading things into his playing, but he does sound very relaxed to me, and I hear a certain vulnerability and willingness to show feelings that perhaps he often held back. Jim Sangry wrote quite eloquently about the fact that this vulnerability can, at times, seem to be lacking in Hawkins' playing, but it doesn't seem so here, at least to my ears.)

Six cuts, over fifty minutes of music, and some of my favorite Hawk. A highlight: an almost three minute unaccompanied solo intro to "If I Had You." The four tunes from the second night grab me more, but it's all good.

The CD is rounded out with three concert tracks from 1950 and 1954, including two versions of "Body and Soul" - good stuff, but the Golden Circle recordings are the music to get this for.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would bump up this thread for some air.

I got a copy of Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins yesterday and listened to it three times throughout the day, which is very unusual for me. I really love this album! It is my first exposure to Hawk, and will most definitely not be my last. After reading the recommendations earlier in this thread and in discussions over at Funny Rat I've got quite a list of recordings to explore.

Anyone knows if

Chilton, John: The Song Of The Hawk, The Life And Recordings Of Coleman Hawkins (The University Of Michigan Press, 1990)

&

Allen, Walter C.: Hendersonia - The Music Of Fletcher Henderson And His Musicians ( Jazz Monographs No 4, Highland Park, 1973 )

are still available?

I believe they're out-of-print, but you can find used copies here:

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Anyone knows if

Chilton, John: The Song Of The Hawk, The Life And Recordings Of Coleman Hawkins (The University Of Michigan Press, 1990)

&

Allen, Walter C.: Hendersonia - The Music Of Fletcher Henderson And His Musicians ( Jazz Monographs No 4, Highland Park, 1973 )

are still available?

I believe they're out-of-print, but you can find used copies here:

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Thanks, Brownian Motion! That´s a great site to search for books.

I see Hawk´s biodiscography is easily available for a very reasonable price (new or used). Notwithstanding, "Hendersonia" is only available in a good condition for $170+ !!!

And if you want a copy of this one "INSCRIBED BY THE AUTHOR to jazz musician Benny Carter with TLS to Carter asking for assistance in ID of some arrangers" you ONLY have to pay $400 !!!

• 1 year later...

The video was lifted from the Jazz 6 series that jazz critic (and also novelist) Philippe Adler hosted every Monday night on the French M6 TV channel until the show was discarded in 2002. The M6 logo in still present!

I videotaped a number of the shows including that Hawkins one!

"I was playing 'All the Things You Are' one night with Hawkins, and he played some phrase, and I realized that maybe I had idolized musicians like Bud Powell and Charlie Parker too much; because here was a musician (Hawkins) who just kept playing and learning and playing new things."

-Barry Harris (ca. 1978)

Edited by AllenLowe

i swear i saw a 1969 flyer for Fillmore East and on jazz day it was a quadruple bill of Lee Morgan Quintet, Coleman Hawkins Quartet, Art Blakey & his Jazz Messengers, & Duke Peason Big Band. Yowza yowza yowza!!!!! oh and then the day before and the day after jazz day were concerts by The who with support act cannonball adderely, and Traffic

I got some of the Bean OJCs since I posted here last... "Soul" is terrific, so is "Hawk Flies High". I also got the one with Charlie Shavers ("Hawk Eyes") and Kenny Burrell's very nice "Bluesy Burrell". I guess I need more, and I guess I'll need to look for the Alive (never saw it, only have the one with Hodges and Eldridge, which I like a lot).

I got some of the Bean OJCs since I posted here last... "Soul" is terrific, so is "Hawk Flies High". I also got the one with Charlie Shavers ("Hawk Eyes") and Kenny Burrell's very nice "Bluesy Burrell". I guess I need more, and I guess I'll need to look for the Alive (never saw it, only have the one with Hodges and Eldridge, which I like a lot).

"Alive" was recorded the same week as the one with Hodges & Eldridge. It is one of my favorite Hawkins records, and was one of the first CD's I bought (to get the bonus tracks). There is a version of "Joshua Fit the Batlle of Jericho" that demonstrates just how timeless Hawk was. Unfortunately, I think it is now out of print.

All of the Prestige albums are good. The weakest is probably "No Strings" on which they do the music from a Broadway show. The tunes, for the most part, are forgettable, although Hawk & company play well as always. I don't think "Good Old Broadway" and "Make Someone Happy" have been mentioned yet, and I seem to recall that they are available on a 2-on-1 CD. For those who like "At Ease" and "Hawk Relaxes", these are every bit as good.

Jack, weren't there two different issues of the Village Gate material? I have that on cd but maybe there were different issues on LP?

If you are referring to the quartet sides recorded August 13/15, 1962, I only know of one -

"Hawkins! Alive! At the Village Gate" (Verve 8509).

All the Things You Are

Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho

Mack the Knife

It's the Talk of the Town

The CD reissue contains two more tracks:

Bean and the Boys

If I Had You

"Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Alive at the Village Gate" (Verve 8504) was recorded August 15, 1962:

Satin Doll

Perdido

The Rabbit In Jazz

The CD reissue contains four more tracks, Hawk & rhythm section only:

Mack the Knife

It's the Talk of the Town

Bean and the Boys

Caravan

(these are different performances than the ones issued on the previous album)

Just was looking through my extensive collection of Coleman Hawkins CDs and noticed four different CDs titled - Bean And The Boys.

They each have totally different music and different sidemen. They are on the following labels.

Fresh Sound 1013

High Note 7075

Le Jazz 12

Prestige 24124-2

Gambit is releasing this CD

113499.jpg

annoucement comes with the following text:

'Oscar Peterson (p), Sam Jones (b), Bobby Durham (d) with guest star Coleman Hawkins (ts) on 4 tracks. Radio broadcast, live from the Funkhaus, Hannover, Germany, October 23, 1967.

This previously unissued concert in Hannover was taped for a German radio broadcast and is their last known encounter. Hawk's evocative solo on "September Song" must be noted among the many highlights of the concert, as well as Peterson's trio version of "Alice in Wonderland".

Track Listing: 1. Shaw 'Nuff, 2. Stella By Starlight, 3. Never Say Yes, 4. Alice In Wonderland, 5. Satin Doll, 6. Moonglow, 7. Sweet Georgia Brown, 8. September Song, 9. Stuffy, 10. Waltzing Is Hip, 11. Lil' Darlin', 12. Quiet Nights (Corcovado), 13. Let's Fall In Love.

Total Time: 75:25 mins.'

Only 'Moonglow' seems to have been released before on Moon Records in pretty bad sound. But Hawk is in fine form there. Hope the rest of the Gambit release is just as good.

Edited by brownie

• 2 months later...

A fan from Taiwan loves Bean as well..............

But here's a pretty stupid question, does anyone can tell me who/when/why nicknamed him "Bean"?

Or are there any links that I can look up for the answers?

Thanks in advance

From AAJ (Jazz Nicknames - Published: March 4, 2004 )

Hawkins, Coleman --- Bean, Hawk

The “Hawk” nickname is obviously a shortening of Hawkins. “Hawk” was also known as “Bean” but we don't know why. Do you? A reader says that the “Bean” tag was bestowed because of Hawkins intellect.

One of the Classics CD liner notes tells of one time in the late 30s, when Hawkins was playing in England as a featured player for the Jack Hilton (Hylton?) orchestra, and had been quoted, I guess in Melody Maker, claiming that a good player should be able to improvise in any key. The band members surrepticiously played a tune ONE HALF TONE lower, moving it from an easy sax key to a very tough one. Hawkins, coming in for his solo, realized what was going on almost instantly, delivered a respectable solo, and NEVER MENTIONED IT afterwards.

Here's another take on “Bean.” The story is that some cats looked at hs eyes and said that they look like some beans after they had soaked in some water prior to cooking. Beans swell in standing water. Hence, his eyes look like swollen beans. I've heard this story on more than one occasion.

And how about this one?

Hawkins was called “Bean” because he came from Boston or “Beantown”, as it was known. apparently, people in Boston use dto eat a lot of beans with brown bread.

Lester Young once called Hawkins “The First President.” Although this is not technically a nickname, it is interesting and worth a mention.