What music did you buy today?

tonym

A very rare trip to Manchester brought:

Sonny Stitt - "Kaleidoscope" (Prestige/OJC)

Coleman Hawkins "Hawk Eyes!" (Prestige/OJC)

Gil Evans - "Great Jazz Standards featuring John Coles" (Pacific)

None of them were what I was really looking for. Bought the Evans partly because everybody digs Gil Evans :blink: and partly because it opens with "Davenport Blues", a tune I was shamefully ignorant of until I looked up Bix in the Penguin Guide.

Edited by rdavenport

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of them were what I was really looking for. Bought the Evans partly because everybody digs Gil Evans :blink: and partly because it opens with "Davenport Blues", a tune I was shamefully ignorant of until I looked up Bix in the Penguin Guide.

That's a wonderful Evans album. Well worth going to Manchester for! :)

That's a wonderful Evans album. Well worth going to Manchester for! :)

Yes Bill, spent a pleasant half hour in Vinyl Exchange. The apparently alphabeticised CDs were all over the place, which rather added to the pleasure of browsing. I'm looking forward to the Evans very much - the choice of material is interesting.

Look forward to receiving these with great anticipation in the coming days:

e41015wh6xm.jpgd0872340l42.jpg

Thanks to Bill F for recommending these recordings.

I'll second the recommendation for the quintets' album! (don't have the other one).

My recent purchases:

Von Freeman--Doin' it Right Now

Ellington -- New Orleans Suite

Chick Corea--Tones for Jones Bones

filled some gaps in my jazz in paris collection at a local sale

Donald Byrd - Parisian Thoroughfare

Django Rheinhardt - Nuits de Saint Germain des-Prés

Toots Thielemans - Blues pour Flirter

Barney Wilen - Jazz Sur Seine (decided to buy this one again and not try to get it back from my friend who had my copy for four years now)

Clarinettes à Saint Germain des-Prés (playing this one right now, was a bit hesitant, don't really know why, fearing something "too old-fashioned" or these medium sized ensembles which i somewhat dislike on many of these 50s Paris recordings; glad i bought it, very nice, swinging music, don't know much about clarinet players (although this is "my" instrument actually) this is a twofer of two complete LPs one by Hubert Rostaing with Martial Solal, some larger ensembles but mostly just clarinet with vibes (Michel Hausser) and rhythm, one by Maurice Meunier, this one is quartet or quintet (with William Boucaya on baritone) and Rene Urtreger or Raymond Fol on piano, Pierre Michelot on bass... very much recommended!)

plus a great cheap find from ebay which arrived yesterday, more Paris recordings

Mal Waldron/Marion Brown - Much More

Edited by Niko

two more amazon.de orders, if these things actually arrive they might fit into the great finds thread

Jazz in Paris "From Belgium with Love" 5 CD set, already have two, but still at 8 euro a pretty good buy

Joe Henderson Complete Milestone Years 8 CD set for 15 euro

Monika Borchfeldt, Thilo von Westernhagen, Charlie Mariano

Wach auf mein Hort, Lieder der Renaissance

2076.jpg

Well, finally Charlie Mariano made me listen to renaissance songs. I'd never thought of it, but Charlie Mariano amazed me once again. This oustanding musician holds his own in any musical context.

Nat Pierce and His Orchestra: The Boston Bust-out

2077.jpg

Young Charlie Mariano (recorded 1947-1950) as a member of Nat Pierce's Orchestra also featuring Serge Chaloff and singer Teddi King.

Genhard Ullmann: Tá Lam

2078.jpg

Budd Kopman's review of Gebhard Ullmann's 'Lá Tam' (recorded 1991) is an almost rhapsodic piece.

...Gebhard Ullmann has created a work that is breathtaking in its beauty, and awe-inspiring in its performance. ...

I don't want to answer back.

Joe Fonda: The House of Treasures

2079.jpg

Joe Fonda went into the studio again with guzheng player Xu Fengxia.

This time they added Jason Kao Hwang on violin.

In today's mail, some BMG bargains:

41KAV8P82XL._SL500_AA240_.jpg==51B5AENXFGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cannonball Adderley - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live At "The Club" // Why Am I Treated So Bad?

41DC5F6YN2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Clifford Brown and Max Roach - At Basin Street

And, to complete my set:

614D7HXR8RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That Devilin' Tune, Vol. 1 1895-1927 (9-CD)

Edited by mikelz777

I was only planning on getting the Three Sounds Soul Symphony of the recent Blue Note reissues, but at the local used store (the only one worth a damn anymore in Chicago), they had this plus Elegant Soul and Reuben Wilson's Set Us Free. While the price is still higher than YourMusic will be (if they get them), it was low enough that I sprung for them.

I've been waiting for a lot of these to come back into stock at DG. Today was the day!

Torbjorn Zetterberg Hot Five- Fortjanar Mer Uppmarksamhet

Fredriksson, Kullhammar & Zetterberg- Gyldene Tider Vol 1

Fredriksson, Kullhammar & Zetterberg- Gyldene Tider Vol 2

Jonas Kullhammar/Kresten Osgood/Ole Morten- Andratx

Torbjorn Zetterberg- Skildrar Kvinnans Kamp

Listening to "Ben & Sweets" earlier whetted my appetite for more Webster, of which I'm sorely lacking. Searched the Artists threads and read up on him a bit. Larry Kart loves "The Tatum Group Masters Vol. 8," which features Webster. "Solid gold," if I may quote.

There's a fellow over at amazon who takes a somewhat contrary view:

He just won't shut the hell up! My fondest wish during the highly aggravating job of listening to this album is that this Tatum character - who I've never heard before and, if a merciful God is willing, will never hear again - would shut up and maybe let some music happen. If I had a time machine I'd go back with a cleaver and lop off his fingers.

:rofl:

I went with Larry, and am now eagerly awaiting this one.

41A8WJRJ8HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

... and this one also, Harry Edison's "Sweets," which gets high grades on the same artists thread:

51QR9KCV88L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by papsrus

from the ECM Touchstone series:

2085.jpg2086.jpg

2087.jpg2088.jpg

Keith Jarrett's Facing You is a backup of my LP, the others are new additions to my collection.

2083.jpg2084.jpg

2089.jpg2090.jpg

I like Bobo Stenson's playing since I first saw him with Jan Garbarek back in the '70s.

Leucocyte (which I listened to when riding back home) won't be my favorite recording of the e.s.t.

Maria João again. I just love this stunning singer from Portugal.

The Rolf Kühn sampler found its way to my collection due to the fact that it's another documentation of Charlie Mariano's work as a side musician on countless recording sessions.