tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 9:27 PM, T.D. said:

NDQtNjYzNC5qcGVn.jpegMy00MTExLmpwZWc.jpeg

T.D. - I'd love to hear your impressions of these -- particularly the Yamashita Trio -- after you've had a while to absorb them.

I ordered these 2 LPs on Discogs yesterday:

MTAtNjI4Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

T.D. - I'd love to hear your impressions of these -- particularly the Yamashita Trio -- after you've had a while to absorb them.

If I can remember, I'll post something when it arrives.

All three of the tunes are on Youtube (though seemingly not the whole album continuously), so I was able to audition the whole thing once I got the DG arrival notice. 

Here's a Youtube link for the first selection. Once I started playing that, the algorithm displayed the next track in the right column, etc.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, soulpope said:

Once a much sought release (in it's scarce original form) .... stimulating music ....

It is but I must say I enjoy much of his other works better. I could live without the vocals on Hannibal's albums. I love to hear him live: Antibes, Berlin and Lausanne. The MPS is out of this world and I dig Angels of Atlanta as well.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

It is but I must say I enjoy much of his other works better. I could live without the vocals on Hannibal's albums. I love to hear him live: Antibes, Berlin and Lausanne. The MPS is out of this world and I dig Angels of Atlanta as well.

Agree in general ....

I just pre-ordered this LP from Dusty Groove:

louiss_eddi_ourkindof_101b.jpg

I've wanted to have a physical copy of this for years.  :) 

I first heard it after downloading the music from the Magic Purple Sunshine blog.  Remember that?!? . . .  Along with this Eddy Louiss LP, that blog provided me with my first discovery of Martial Solal's music (and many others as well).  Before streaming and before Discogs, downloading from blogs was pretty much the only way one could hear the majority of the MPS catalog (particularly if you lived outside of Europe).  Aside from a few titles issued on PAUSA or Verve, it was almost entirely unavailable.

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I first heard it after downloading the music from the Magic Purple Sunshine blog.  Remember that?!? . . .  Along with this Eddy Louiss LP, that blog provided me with my first discovery of Martial Solal's music (and many others as well).  Before streaming and before Discogs, downloading from blogs was pretty much the only way one could hear the majority of the MPS catalog (particularly if you lived outside of Europe).  Aside from a few titles issued on PAUSA or Verve, it was almost entirely unavailable.

Nice one, such a good album and such a good feeling when you snag a long sought after

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Prototypical MPS Cover Art and excellent music ....

Went to the huge vinyl and cd fair in the city of Den Bosch. Did not have much luck last years but this year was a succes. There are 46 items on my current wantlist (well uh 37 now) and I found 9 and for reasonable prices. This was the first time prices were mostly round the Discogs median. Very happy with these 9 beauties :)

IMG-6961.jpg

IMG-6962.jpg

IMG-6963.jpg

47 minutes ago, Pim said:

Went to the huge vinyl and cd fair in the city of Den Bosch. Did not have much luck last years but this year was a succes. There are 46 items on my current wantlist (well uh 37 now) and I found 9 and for reasonable prices. This was the first time prices were mostly round the Discogs median. Very happy with these 9 beauties :)

IMG-6961.jpg

IMG-6962.jpg

IMG-6963.jpg

👍 - I only have two of these: Bill Evans (CD) and Sonny Simmons (LP)

[ahmed] - giant beauty 5CD [fönstret]

[ahmed] - wood blues 2LP [Astral Spirits]

Some compensation for not making the Oto residency. Nice to have a brief chat with Seymour Wright whilst making the purchase>

Edited by mjazzg