• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Griffin - A Blowin' Session

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue

Milt Jackson - Wizard of the Vibes

Bonus (3 get 1 free @ Borders): Bill Evans - Explorations

=====================================

4 more RVGs and I am completely caught up.

Lacking:

Herbie Hancock: My Point of View, The Prisoner

Tony Williams: Lifetime

Jimmy Smith: Groovin' At Small's Paradise

Edited by mgraham333

Matthew,

The sound quality blows away those old US Warner reissues. I haven't checked out the dvd yet, but I listened to the cds and was fascinated at how much they injected into their music. It wasn't all riffs and head banging drums. I have to confess as much as I love their early albums, Never Can Say Die is my personal favorite -- Johnny Blade just ROCKS!!!! The liner notes are extensive, as they are in a thin hardcover book. There are lyrics to ALL the tunes, and the obligitory quotes from all the current artists who were inspired by the band. No jewel cases, these are all in digipaks.

Bonus (3 get 1 free @ Borders

Matt, is there a Borders in Tulsa? If they have deals like that and a good jazz section, I may need to make the trip. I'm right down the road in NW Arkansas. There is not too much here in way of music stores. Not even a decent place to get RVGs. I've been almost exclusively internet shopping since I've been here.

Matt, is there a Borders in Tulsa? If they have deals like that and a good jazz section, I may need to make the trip. I'm right down the road in NW Arkansas. There is not too much here in way of music stores. Not even a decent place to get RVGs. I've been almost exclusively internet shopping since I've been here.

Scottb:

Yes, we have 2 Borders locations.

here and here

The jazz selection is decent and they are fairly good about getting RVGs in on the release dates (although I've been pre-ordering most of mine from CDUniverse lately).

Matthew,

The sound quality blows away those old US Warner reissues. I haven't checked out the dvd yet, but I listened to the cds and was fascinated at how much they injected into their music. It wasn't all riffs and head banging drums. I have to confess as much as I love their early albums, Never Can Say Die is my personal favorite -- Johnny Blade just ROCKS!!!! The liner notes are extensive, as they are in a thin hardcover book. There are lyrics to ALL the tunes, and the obligitory quotes from all the current artists who were inspired by the band. No jewel cases, these are all in digipaks.

Thnaks of the input! Think I'll have to start saving up for this one.

Got a Amos Milburn Mosaic CD box set for $60 (last three CDs were sealed).

Wasn't looking for it, was buying Waylon Jennings WILL THE WOLF SURVIVE (mca) $6.

Searching for this country CD for a long time. (too expensive on ebay)

It's May Day in Paris today. And all the stores are closed. Practically the only thing you can buy on this day is the lily of the valley that in typical French tradition you buy on May 1 to your loved ones. Went out this morning to buy some for my wife and walked past a secondhand book and records store which turned out to be open. Went inside for a quick look at the jazz records section and found the following items: less than 20 euros (about $25) for the lot:

- AEC & Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy 'Live at the 6th Tokyo Music Joy '90' on DIW,

- Howard McGhee-Benny Bailey Sextet 'Home Run' on Storyville,

- Jay McShann and his Orchestra 'Jumpin' the Blues', a 2CD set from Proper - the bastards. I know I will burn in Chuck Nessa's hell for getting this but could not resist it. Already have all the early sides with Parker and the 1951 session with Ben Webster that was included in the Ben Webster 2LP Japanese EmArcy set but I never ran into the rest of the McShann sides.

Enjoying the McGhee/Bailey disc now.

My wife enjoyed the lily of the valley which smells delicious.

I was naughty... -_-

I stopped by Borders last night. Man, there's just nobody around to help you there. Where are the SACDs? Where are the DVD-As? Anyone?

I took advantage of that buy 3 get one free jazz cds sale.

1. G. Green-Going West

2. D. Byrd-Free Form

3. C. Taylor-Conquistador!

4. B. Evans-You Must Believe In Spring

$37. Not too bad. The Taylor's tray had a crack that made the spindle not grip the disc. (I opened them all in the car.) I went back in and they replaced the tray.

I was considering the new Diana Krall disc, but they didn't have any copies on SACD, only the cd.

On first listen, that Byrd set sounds awesome! B)

picked up on the mailbox yesterday

steve kuhn - love walked in

phil woods - chasin the bird

charles persip and the jazz statesmen

warren vache and bill charlap - 2gether

cti all stars live at the hollywood bowl

lonnie smith - mama wailer

duke pearson - sweet honey bee

grant green - live at the lighthouse

MCO

I'm at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival between gigs at the present (just done a superb John Taylor big band, about to go into Drew Gress with Tim Berne, Craig Taborne etc) . My wallet has taken a pounding today:

Polar Bear - new CD from this up and coming quartet.

Acoustic Ladyland - their new CD (almost the same line-up as Polar Bear) - absolutely storming versions of Hendrix tunes in a jazz vein. Wonderful live band.

Phil Robson - Screenwash - his new CD. A musician I've enthused about elsewhere. Seeing him tomorrow.

Brian Auger - a new compilation of his stuff including lots of the 60s stuff with Julie Driscoll

Ellington Uptown

Absolutely jampacked festival, by the way. I've been coming here 7 years and never seen it so full.

Well, I got a nice check on a VO gig, so with my mortgage covered, I decided it was time to blow it on the Borders buy three get one free salse:

Monk in Paris (with the DVD bonus, I knew I had a Monk in Paris disc already, but it turned out to be the previous day's concert, so :tup

Conrad Herwig, Another Kind of Blue (live concert of the tunes on Kind of Blue, arranged for a latin jazz band featuring Paquito D'Rivera and Brian Lynch; on Half Note)

Horace Silver, Rockin with Rachmaninoff

Ron Blake, Les We Forget (finally get to hear Ron's CD after meeting him at the Clearwater Jazz Fest-what a nice guy ....)

Now, I originally had 8 CDs in my hands, but I ultimately decided that these weren't CDs I really HAD to have, I was just trying to get two CDs free. So I was really proud of myself when I put the other four back ... then I made the mistake of wandering by the Jazz DVD section.

Benny Carter, Live at the Smithsonian. There's a 2003 copyright on it, but Benny is described as being 74 years old, so this was quite a few years ago, actually.

Art Farmer, Live at the Smithsonian

Thelonious Monk, American Composer

Celebrating Bird, The Triumph of Charlie Parker

Hope I did good on the last two documentaries. ;)

Oh, and I traded in some discs for a Pete and Conte Candoli disc from the '90s, on Hindsight, the Benny Carter Capital reissue, the Buddy and Sweets Verve, and Jimmy Witherspoon Sings the Blues Sessions, all of the Crown recording dates that went on two different LPs, plus a bunch of unissued tunes.

PIL - Second Edition (to replace the Metal Box LP I sold)

Stooges "Raw Power

Genesis Selling England By the Pound

Grant Green Goin' West (I have to say this was a bit of a letdown - I overhyped it in my mind)

Jimmy Smith Rockin the Boat

Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee

Archie Shepp Cry of My People (REALLY like this one)

Cecil Taylor Conquistador (finally have a legit copy of my favorite Cecil!)