Blue Note 10" Series

undergroundagent

• 9 months later...

Am quite surprised but there are a handful of the Foster/Wallington CDs floating around at UK on-line sellers. I ordered one and it is on its way! I think that completes the set (just in time for Blue Note to start re-issuing them I suppose). My favorites are the Watkins and the Gil Melle.

Nice haul today....

McGhee/Drew

Foster/Wallington

$22

you mean anyone actually reads the crap I write here ;)

cool catch! I didn't mention these just for the heck of it. Drew is really good IMO. :tup

Not only do I read it, but I have shown my wife the Monk's Music Monkridingonawagon coolness!

I gave the "Jay Jay Johnson, Vol 3"  10"  Toshiba vinyl a spin today and it's not so great.  'You're Mine, You" has a good deal of distortion and sounds particularly bad.  The JRVG sounds excellent.  Anyone else listened to that vol. 3 vinyl?  The first weak Toshiba wax I've heard.

Several years ago I picked up the Jutta Hipp 10" (Blue Note 5056) issued by Toshiba. The sound is shit - very distorted. Nice job on the cover, though.

I have these.......either as the two fers on US Conn or Japanese issues and they are nice.......not all essential ......but that for now is irrelevant.

My favourite was the hardest to find which was the Lou Mecca.....really different. Least enjoyed.....hmm maybe the poor sounding Hipp.....really liked her later stuff but this aint as good ( for me at least).

I did like the Watkins and the Foster issues

Whoops. I don't have the Sal Salvador after all. After much poking around on the web, it appears that the BN quintet session is on the Conn, by itself on a Japanese import and on a truly rare Japanese BN CD "The Great Guitars" issued in 1990, which appears to have completely disappeared. Has this session shown up anywhere else?

I see that the longer session with Costa has shown up with a lot of other material on a Lonehill CD Eddie Costa & Sal Salvador Quartet -- Complete Studio Recordings. I agree that supporting Lonehill is dodgy, but I don't think any of this material is out in a legit format currently.

Whoops.  I don't have the Sal Salvador after all.  After much poking around on the web, it appears that the BN quintet session is on the Conn, by itself on a Japanese import and on a truly rare Japanese BN CD "The Great Guitars" issued in 1990, which appears to have completely disappeared.  Has this session shown up anywhere else? 

Probably not. The Great Guitars CD is the only CD issue of the Lou Mecca Blue Note 10", AFAIK, or was this on a Toshiba single CD as well?

I see that the longer session with Costa has shown up with a lot of other material on a Lonehill CD Eddie Costa &  Sal Salvador  Quartet -- Complete Studio Recordings.  I agree that supporting Lonehill is dodgy, but I don't think any of this material is out in a legit format currently.

Would that be Bethlehem material? I have a Freshsound LP with one of those albums, "Tribute to the Greats" - very nice album!

Whoops.  I don't have the Sal Salvador after all.  After much poking around on the web, it appears that the BN quintet session is on the Conn, by itself on a Japanese import and on a truly rare Japanese BN CD "The Great Guitars" issued in 1990, which appears to have completely disappeared.  Has this session shown up anywhere else? 

Probably not. The Great Guitars CD is the only CD issue of the Lou Mecca Blue Note 10", AFAIK, or was this on a Toshiba single CD as well?

I have these

The Sal Salvador was on a Conn two fer with a capitol side thrown in for (bad!) luck

The Lou Mecca was from the JRVG 3 series in 2001 ( no I am not THAT sad but it is here in my hand for the scanner!)

The other one I picked up in that series was the Tal Farlow one ( also on the scan) which I picked up for not alot ...by the way the obis are tucked in side for all you obi nuts!

I see that the longer session with Costa has shown up with a lot of other material on a Lonehill CD Eddie Costa &  Sal Salvador  Quartet -- Complete Studio Recordings.  I agree that supporting Lonehill is dodgy, but I don't think any of this material is out in a legit format currently.

Would that be Bethlehem material? I have a Freshsound LP with one of those albums, "Tribute to the Greats" - very nice album!

What else is on the Lonehill? Yes, it is mostly Bethlehem material. Here's the run-down from the Dusty B*%&#rds.

including the Capitol album Kenton Presents Sal Salvador, the Bethlehem record Frivolous Sal, and the 1956 session Shades Of Sal Salvador. Remaining titles on the set are from the Salvador/Costa quartet album Tribute To The Greats -- and the brilliant Bethlehem sextet session by Frank Socolow -- entitled Shades of Socolow.

It does have the entire original Shades of Socolow LP, but is missing three bonus tracks from a Fresh Sounds "release" of the Socolow. Mighty tempting.

Am quite surprised but there are a handful of the Foster/Wallington CDs floating around at UK on-line sellers.  I ordered one and it is on its way!  I think that completes the set (just in time for Blue Note to start re-issuing them I suppose).  My favorites are the Watkins and the Gil Melle.

Anyone have a complete list of the 10" twofer CD's? I have a few of these from the McGhee / Drew / Farlow series... was that it or were there subsequent series?

Looking for the Foster / Wallington & the Watkins now. Love the Melle as well.

Thanks,

T

Am quite surprised but there are a handful of the Foster/Wallington CDs floating around at UK on-line sellers.  I ordered one and it is on its way!  I think that completes the set (just in time for Blue Note to start re-issuing them I suppose).  My favorites are the Watkins and the Gil Melle.

Anyone have a complete list of the 10" twofer CD's? I have a few of these from the McGhee / Drew / Farlow series... was that it or were there subsequent series?

Looking for the Foster / Wallington & the Watkins now. Love the Melle as well.

Thanks,

T

I remember when they came out wishing there were more but the 10 " series had a few ( In my opinion) horrors too...jazz from the UK..and other non blue note issues with ( yuk) 'strings' and other things

I would have like to pick up the wade legge and maybe a few more but the ones I got.....were pretty good

I'm sure this has been suggested to MC, but now that Blue Note has partnered with iTunes (which frankly surprised me), why not try the Vault thing and release these 10" as iTunes only? I could see it might dilute the market slightly if BN planned on reissuing them, but if they really don't intend to do so again, I think this would be a way some economic return on these sessions and undercut Lonehill/Fresh Sounds, etc.

I don't have a list, but just wanted to mention that there were BN 10" albums which had earlier CD releases, before those Conns and before the RVG's, such as the Art Blakey / James Moody "New Sounds"; Wynton Kelly's "Piano Interpretations". Those were released in 1991. Of course, there was also material from some BN 10"ers that was released in the form of the 12" versions (Horace Silver, Clifford Brown, Lou Donaldson...).