Norah Jones

Tjazz

On the topic of Norah Jones, I actually somewhat enjoy her two country albums (The Little Willies group she leads). And the rock album she did as well - El Madmo.

Her "normal" albums haven't really impressed me as much, though I certainly think she's very talented at what she does.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Alan a lot even if I don't always agree with him , that said as a debater he reminds me of Juanma Lopez great fighter but his chin is not as good as his punches,

Regarding Norah, wasn't impressed when I saw her live when she debuted with her BN album although I liked the MOR Blue Note album, think of her more as a good studio artist. Don't get either why she generates these heated discussion , in a way Diana Krall aggravates me me more than miss Jones ever will but that's another story and I don't need to dwell on it. I let enjoy whoever wants to enjoy Madam E.. Costello.

Edited by Van Basten II

As I said above, IIRC discussion about Norah Jones led to the shutdown of the BNBB. Controversy implied, it seems.

I understand Allen's point of view perfectly. You become very sensitive if you work as seriously on the music as he does, it's inevitable when you see so-called musicians (jazz or whatever) making money with stuff you cannot help but think of as bland and inferior. With his knowledge of the music, he has every right to do, in my view. Misunderstanding him is a sad thing - he is not the one to blame for anything.

If people of his or Christien's caliber are driven away for remarks like those made here, it makes me sad, and should set anyone involved to thinking.

Some folks don't understand the feelings of "artists". Done.

Exactly.

When I go to blues, jazz or classical concerts today, the attendance is low and virtually everyone for blues, jazz or classical has white hair or is bald from age.

"Jikes" How soon does that happen after one first got in touch with the music? :g

I'm not much into labeling myself, so I do not mind her singing country or jazz or both. I like country myself and sometimes I sing and play some on my guitar. According to what she did in the past I really liked her cooperation with the Charlie Hunter Quartet and covered their "Day is done" (orginally a Nick Drake song) with my band. I do not really look at her as a jazz singer but when do you verify exactly as one? And who, besides yourself, gets to decide which influence you want to bring into your music?

Edited by page

I don't at all see her as a "minimally talented singer." I think she acquits herself very well, even on "The Nearness of You." (I sometimes think for many "talent" only counts if it is really in "jazz" or "classical" or maybe blues, etc. -- that's the type of snobbery that really pisses me off to no end, as if to have talents that reach the masses and become successful were total BS nonsense, not mattering, dismissable entirely). All this animosity against her. . . just not something I'll share in. She's not the greatest jazz singer. So what. She's in the popular music biz. Jazz artists just flat aren't any longer. If they want to be. . . well, tough noogies.

Come back Allen. You need us, we need you.

Edited by jazzbo

I

Amazing that discussion about a minimally talented singer could create so much havoc on two different boards.

Yes, I find it amazing too. For example, Rickie Lee Jones is another female vocalist who is not primarily a jazz singer, but who has recorded jazz songs. If a thread was started about Rickie Lee Jones, I would be very surprised if there was so much emotion.

Norah Jones strikes me as being about as controversial as a blueberry pancake, so why does the very mention of her name make some people's blood boil? Weird!

I don't at all see her as a "minimally talented singer." I think she acquits herself very well, even on "The Nearness of You." All this animosity against her. . . just not something I'll share in. She's not the greatest jazz singer. So what. She's in the popular music biz. Jazz artists just flat aren't any longer. If they want to be. . . well, tough noogies.

Truth.

I

Amazing that discussion about a minimally talented singer could create so much havoc on two different boards.

Yes, I find it amazing too. For example, Rickie Lee Jones is another female vocalist who is not primarily a jazz singer, but who has recorded jazz songs. If a thread was started about Rickie Lee Jones, I would be very surprised if there was so much emotion.

Norah Jones strikes me as being about as controversial as a blueberry pancake, so why does the very mention of her name make some people's blood boil? Weird!

The thread isn't about Nora Jones.

It WAS, but as soon as Allen walks into the room, it's all about him. Sorta like a little kid.

When I go to blues, jazz or classical concerts today, the attendance is low and virtually everyone for blues, jazz or classical has white hair or is bald from age.

"Jikes" How soon does that happen after one first got in touch with the music? :g

I'm not much into labeling myself, so I do not mind her singing country or jazz or both. I like country myself and sometimes I sing and play some on my guitar. According to what she did in the past I really liked her cooperation with the Charlie Hunter Quartet and covered their "Day is done" (orginally a Nick Drake song) with my band. I do not really look at her as a jazz singer but when do you verify exactly as one? And who, besides yourself, gets to decide which influence you want to bring into your music?

For some bizarre reason I missed the HP quote you posted here.

I don't see older audiences for those genres as anything alarming. I think getting into those genres IS a matter of age.

What I mean is that when were younger we tend to lean towards music that is easier to digest on the fly, or in the background because we haven't settled down at that point in our lives. But as we mature we take the time to "stop and smell the roses". Most people when they're younger aren't looking to invest the time and focus needed to appreciate these art forms.

And it IS an investment of time and focus.

Just my two cents.

It's mostly older folks who listen to Mozart, but it's not like they were around when he was composing.

I don't see older audiences for those genres as anything alarming. I think getting into those genres IS a matter of age.

What I mean is that when were younger we tend to lean towards music that is easier to digest on the fly, or in the background because we haven't settled down at that point in our lives. But as we mature we take the time to "stop and smell the roses". Most people when they're younger aren't looking to invest the time and focus needed to appreciate these art forms.

Just my two cents.

It's mostly older folks who listen to Mozart, but it's not like they were around when he was composing.

However, when I went to see Albert Collins, Luther Allison, Son Seals, Albert King, John Lee Hooker, etc. in the late 1980s and early 1990s, at the Grand Emporium in Kansas City, the audience looked like it was in its 30s and 40s. Now the audience for the same kind of music is mostly white haired. Maybe it is the exact same audience members, 25 years later.

Also, when I went to jazz concerts, from McCoy Tyner, to Count Basie, to Sun Ra, to Ella Fitzgerald, to John McLaughlin, you name it, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there were many college age people in the audience. That is not the case any longer.

Just my two cents.

However, when I went to see Albert Collins, Luther Allison, Son Seals, Albert King, John Lee Hooker, etc. in the late 1980s and early 1990s, at the Grand Emporium in Kansas City, the audience looked like it was in its 30s and 40s. Now the audience for the same kind of music is mostly white haired. Maybe it is the exact same audience members, 25 years later.

Also, when I went to jazz concerts, from McCoy Tyner, to Count Basie, to Sun Ra, to Ella Fitzgerald, to John McLaughlin, you name it, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there were many college age people in the audience. That is not the case any longer.

They grew up and the younger audience isn't as big as it was. They're there...I think it will grow again, someday.

Or, at least I'd like to think it will.

Scot Dolan said: "But as we mature we take the time to "stop and smell the roses" "

I like the way you describe that, and man, what a lovely fragrance those roses have got!

I listened to Mozart when I was a teen (among other composers like Chopin f.e.), maybe before that even. Something to do with the household I grew up in and the fact that I played the piano. My teacher allowed classical music only for repertoire (DvorĂ¡k, Beethoven, Mozart a.o.), for the sole reason of me being a girl. I went crazy about the one boogie woogie I was allowed to and learned 3 parts (it was a piece for 4 pupils) by heart and played them at once, lol. A shame he never mentioned jazz to me at the time.

Edited by page

Just my two cents.

What shows are you going to?

Not my experience at all.

Well, both of those could be explained by things that were popular at the time. Fusion was pretty big back in the 70's which would have been a gateway other Jazz forms. And Stevie Ray Vaughan hit it HUGE on mainstream radio in the 80's (Crossfire reached number one on Billboard), which would have lead folks to explore other Blues artists.

It's easy to get a little nervous that once something is no longer popular it's going to completely dry up and blow away, but it won't. The blue hairs will continue to be the predominant audience, but it doesn't really matter, does it?