10. Grantstand - Grant Green

Can I come back in now? :g

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You fucking media-whore cunt.

That's what my name-badge says.

Here's my Top 10 Greeeeeeeaziest Records Ever!

1. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

2. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

3. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

4. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

5. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

6. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

7. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

8. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

9. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

10. Organissimo - Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters...

Taking media-whoreness to a whole new level....

I know that greaze is in the eye of the beholder, but how a list of the greaziest can not have any LONNIE SMITH on it is beyond me.

LIVE AT THE CLUB MOSAMBIQUE is the meaning of greaze in my dictionary. "I can't stand it..."

My list looks something like this (obviously excluding modern acts like MMW, Galactic, Charlie Hunter etc and limitiing it to Blue Note dates including an organ because I want to)

In no particular order

1 MIDNIGHT CREEPER - Lou Donaldson (George Benson doing Grant Green better than Green! - Yeah, I said it.)

2 LIVE AT THE CLUB MOZAMBIQUE - Lonnie Smith (with again, George Benson ("I can't stand it..."))

3 BLUE JOHN - Big John Patton (I know this may not be Patton's best playing but the presence of George Braith playing that double sax contraption makes this a NASTY date)

4 HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' - Fred Jackson

5 BLUE MODE - Reuben Wilson

6 NEVER LET ME GO - Stanley Turrentine (Shirley Scott makes the date)

7 ANYTHING BY- Jimmy Smith (I was going to say THE SERMON but how can you not say BACK TO THE SHACK? Easily could say PRAYER MEETING, or even ROCKIN' THE BOAT as the presence of Papa Lou make them some of Jimmy's greaziest)

8 THE WORM - Jimmy McGriff

9 DOWN HOME STYLE - Jack McDuff (the cover alone could get this one included)

10 STOP AND LISTEN - Baby Face Willette (I don't have FACE TO FACE as it has become quite hard to come by - don't have a hissy, I'll get it when I can!)

There it is - fire away!

Edited by scottb

Here's mine, in order of actually remembering them:

1. Back at the Chicken Shack/Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith

2. Blue Mode - Reuben Wilson

3. Keep That Groove Goin' - Plas Johnson/Red Holloway

4. Down Home Style - Brother Jack McDuff

5. The Prestige Years - Brother Jack McDuff

6. Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters - Organissimo

6. Black, Blue, & Bamboo - Righteous Buddha

7. Got a Good Thing Goin' - Big John Patton

8. The Natural Soul - Lou Donaldson

9. Hootin' & Tootin' - Fred Jackson

10. Grantstand - Grant Green

Can I come back in now? :g

That be 11!

You tried to pull the old double number six trick on us.

One of them has got to go. :P

Edited by catesta

MIDNIGHT CREEPER - Lou Donaldson  (George Benson doing Grant Green better than Green! - Yeah, I said it.)

George plays very well on this date His solo on Love Power is among my all time favorites. Make it funky now!

A few of my personnel favorites that haven't been mentioned yet...

- Cannonball Adderley: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

- Rodney Jones: Soul Manifesto Live

- Cornell Dupree: Uncle Funky

- Les McCann & Eddie Harris: Swiss Movement

- Mingus: Blues & Roots (hardcore grease)

I know that greaze is in the eye of the beholder, but how a list of the greaziest can not have any LONNIE SMITH on it is beyond me.

LIVE AT THE CLUB MOSAMBIQUE is the meaning of greaze in my dictionary. "I can't stand it..."

My list looks something like this (obviously excluding modern acts like MMW, Galactic, Charlie Hunter etc and limitiing it to Blue Note dates including an organ because I want to)

In no particular order

1 MIDNIGHT CREEPER - Lou Donaldson (George Benson doing Grant Green better than Green! - Yeah, I said it.)

2 LIVE AT THE CLUB MOZAMBIQUE - Lonnie Smith (with again, George Benson ("I can't stand it..."))

3 BLUE JOHN - Big John Patton (I know this may not be Patton's best playing but the presence of George Braith playing that double sax contraption makes this a NASTY date)

4 HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' - Fred Jackson

5 BLUE MODE - Reuben Wilson

6 NEVER LET ME GO - Stanley Turrentine (Shirley Scott makes the date)

7 ANYTHING BY- Jimmy Smith (I was going to say THE SERMON but how can you not say BACK TO THE SHACK? Easily could say PRAYER MEETING, or even ROCKIN' THE BOAT as the presence of Papa Lou make them some of Jimmy's greaziest)

8 THE WORM - Jimmy McGriff

9 DOWN HOME STYLE - Jack McDuff (the cover alone could get this one included)

10 STOP AND LISTEN - Baby Face Willette (I don't have FACE TO FACE as it has become quite hard to come by - don't have a hissy, I'll get it when I can!)

There it is - fire away!

hail.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself!

"I can't stand it" inDEED!

o.k...here's a twist....

Greasy records you should have, but never will.... These are some of my all time fav underdog organ sides...

1.Sam Lazar "Playback" on Argo. Nobody knows Sam Lazar because he only made 2 obscure records. But believe me, "Playback" is one of the baddest, greasiest records EVER made by ANYBODY. He kills on this stuff. And then faded into obscurity. By comparison, Baby Face Willette is a well known superstar.

2.Baby Face Willete "Behind The 8 Ball" also on Argo. People think BFW didn't make anything worth listening to after the Blue Note glory days. Wrong. "Behind The 8 Ball" is one of the all time great organ sides. Maybe even showing more depth than his BNs (even those are classics, no doubt about it).

3.Johnyy "Hammond" Smith, "Black Coffee".....nobody talks about JHS too much. And that's a damn shame. Lost in the shuffle (literally). Anyway, GET THIS LP (it's on CD now) and give your Larry Young records a break. His shuffle version of "Body and Soul" should let anybody know this guy's one of the all-time greats. And for PURE grease, check out "Rufus Toofus" on this LP....Funky, lowdown shit.

4.Jimmy Forrest "Forrest Fire" w/Larry Young before he became "Larry Young." O.K., Larry's not breaking new ground here. But this is a classic organ-grinder album with a band that's tearing it up Ghetto Bar-style. "Dexter's Deck" is a standout, but the whole CD's A+ stuff from the guys who matter.

5.Trudy Pitt's "Bucketfull of Soul". A live affair that makes you realize what a PUKING organ in a shitty club in the 60's really sounded like. Nothing subtle here. Just balls to the wall (oddly enough coming from Trudy) badass jazz organ, club-style.

O.K....that's just 5 off the top of my head.

No, these are by no means essential. But just think, as you listen to "Unity" for the millioneth time....you could be diggin' "Amen" on "Behind the 8 Ball." But, you'll probably never hear it. Too bad for you. :g

Greasy records you should have, but never will....

Have you no conscious man. You know most of us are anal retentive completists!

Now I have to devote my life to finding these titles! It will probably lead to me losing my job, my family and all my other worldly belongings! I hope you're happy!

Greasy records you should have, but never will....

Have you no conscious man. You know most of us are anal retentive completists!

Now I have to devote my life to finding these titles! It will probably lead to me losing my job, my family and all my other worldly belongings! I hope you're happy!

Hey, he lives close enough to us! ROAD TRIP!!!! :g

Here a few of my faves in no special order:

1. Shirley Scott - Queen of the Organ

2. Jimmy Smith - The Sermon

3. Fred Jackson - Hootin and Tootin

4 and 5 - Both Baby Face BNs. Didn't care that much for the Argos.

6. Johnny Hammond Smith - Good Nuff

7. Don Patterson - Genius of the B3

8. Shirley Scott - Blue Flames

There are more; those are the ones off the top of my head.

Unless this turns into a top 11 list, I think Shirley might have a tough time. Because although she's surely one of the top organists of all time, imho she never made THE record that represented her thing. "One Of Mine" and "Dearly Beloved" come closest for me. But those still don't crack the top 10 unless someone has the guts to take McGriff off (which I don't). It's tough to get it down to 10. But I think the list is pretty tight like this...

The 10 greatest organ recordings of all time-

1. Jimmy Smith "The Sermon"

2. Larry Young "Unity"

3. Don Patterson "The Exciting New Organ of"

4. Groove Holmes "Soul Message"

5. Jack McDuff "Live!"

6. Jimmy McGriff "I've Got A Woman"

7. Baby Face Willette "Face To Face"

8. Big John Patton "Understanding"

9. Lou Donaldson w/Lonnie Smith "Alligator Bogaloo"

10.Charles Earland "Black Talk"

o.k...here's a twist....

Greasy records you should have, but never will.... These are some of my all time fav underdog organ sides...

1.Sam Lazar "Playback" on Argo. Nobody knows Sam Lazar because he only made 2 obscure records. But believe me, "Playback" is one of the baddest, greasiest records EVER made by ANYBODY. He kills on this stuff. And then faded into obscurity. By comparison, Baby Face Willette is a well known superstar.

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

coleman85.jpg

Sam Lazar recorded three times for Argo:

Playback

Soul Merchant

Space Flight

The latter with Grant Green.

o.k...here's a twist....

Greasy records you should have, but never will....  These are some of my all time fav underdog organ sides...

1.Sam Lazar "Playback" on Argo.  Nobody knows Sam Lazar because he only made 2 obscure records.  But believe me, "Playback" is one of the baddest, greasiest records EVER made by ANYBODY.  He kills on this stuff.  And then faded into obscurity.  By comparison, Baby Face Willette is a well known superstar.

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

coleman85.jpg

Sam Lazar recorded three times for Argo:

Playback

Soul Merchant

Space Flight

The latter with Grant Green.

Damn you Dan!!!! It's like being watched by "Organ Big Brother." :P