ECM reissue thoughts...

Guest akanalog

Guest akanalog

so what's the deal with ECM evey reissuing any more 70s stuff or JAPO stuff?

at first i felt they were just not reissuing the material including afro-american artists, but there are also things like the wolfgang dauner and some arild andersons which have never been reissued.

anyway...i do not think eicher will ever reissue any of this material. would he ever licensce out the material he won't put out himself? or is he too much of an anal control freak?

and what was up with like one or two japan only reissues? were they reissued by the japanese parent company of ECM? polydor japan or whatever?

and i hear that eicher does not have the master tapes of some of the good 70s ECM stuff-

well i have been listening to a lot of material on the german garden of delights label. much of this stuff is taken from vinyl because no master tapes exist. and then something called cedar nonoise technology is used to improve the sound. and you know what? the material sounds pretty damn good.

Guest akanalog

"yellow fields" is out. i got it. it is just a europe only release.

i mean europe only sucks, but at least you can order them from the ECM site. same with the barre phillips albums. or at least the ones that were put on CD.

"yellow fields" is out. i got it. it is just a europe only release.

i mean europe only sucks, but at least you can order them from the ECM site. same with the barre phillips albums. or at least the ones that were put on CD.

I know. I just don't to spend $39+ or what ever to get it. I can't find it on their web site.

Compared with most labels ECM has done an admirable job in getting most of its catalogue back out.

Yes, there are MIA things we'd all like to see. Dave Liebman's 'Lookout Farm' is one I'd like to hear.

As for Europe-only...well, think of all those USA-only releases on many labels! Economic reality, I suspect.

I agree about the lack of early titles on CD. Nice reissues with detailed liner notes (shit, a lot of us don't have anything better to do - why don't they ask us?) would be helpful.

Barre Phillips' "For All it Is" (Japo) really, really needs a reissue. That record is one of the most unique and joyous listening experiences you'll ever have, period.

A friend of mine inquired about some US recorded sessions (Bennie Maupin, Julian Priester) and got the answer that the tapes had detoriated.

But to me it rather seems to be a question of sales potential - see the ones issued in Europe only. There were others reissued only in Japan - like the Stanley Cowell, which I would really like to have on CD.

Guest akanalog

well about the deteriorated mastertapes-it seems weird to me a label as anal as ECM would let master tapes deteriorate. i doubt any jan garbarek master tapes will ever get damaged.

also like i was saying, i have heard nice jobs done from clean records. not ideal, but better than nothing.

but my question is-could a company like water records ever get licenscing for some of this material-my favorite unreleased items would probably be mal waldron's "the call" and robin kenyatta's "girl/woman/man (i forget!) from martinique".

I talked to one of the cats in the promotions department at ECM about a year ago about this, in regards to Times Square by Gary Burton, which is one of the most accesible and downright great ECM sides ever. The response I got back was that what they have out now is what they'll have out ever, that they care about promoting new music, not putting the past up for sale again.

While a (semi) admirable thought, there are too many great ECM sides that I'll never own because of this somewhat myopic attitude.

:(