Stuff Smith Set No Longer Available

Leeway

A poster on AAJ posted that he had tried to buy the Stuff Smith set and was told by Mosaic that it was no longer being offered.

Tried ordering the Stuff Smith set from Mosaic yesterday. It was cancelled due to some legal wrangles, I quote:

"There were issues that arose with the lease of the rights to manufacture the set that could not be resolved. Therefore we are no longer able to manufacture the set."

...the set is no longer available.

The Mosaic site confirms this:

The Stuff Smith set is no longer available for sale. Unfortunately there were issues that arose with the lease of the rights to manufacture the set that could not be resolved. Therefore we are no longer able to manufacture the set.

This is a surprise. Has Mosaic ever withdrawn a set after it was offered for sale?

This might turn out to be one of the most collectible sets offered by Mosaic. I wonder how many got into circulation?

A poster on AAJ posted that he had tried to buy the Stuff Smith set and was told by Mosaic that it was no longer being offered. 

Tried ordering the Stuff Smith set from Mosaic yesterday. It was cancelled due to some legal wrangles, I quote:

"There were issues that arose with the lease of the rights to manufacture the set that could not be resolved. Therefore we are no longer able to manufacture the set."

...the set is no longer available.

The Mosaic site confirms this:

The Stuff Smith set is no longer available for sale. Unfortunately there were issues that arose with the lease of the rights to manufacture the set that could not be resolved. Therefore we are no longer able to manufacture the set.

This is a surprise. Has Mosaic ever withdrawn a set after it was offered for sale?

This might turn out to be one of the most collectible sets offered by Mosaic. I wonder how many got into circulation?

To quote Eric Cartman... "Son Of A Bitch"

So much for my theory about waiting until sets hit the "Running Low" milestone.

A few more of those and buying Mosaics will be more fun than buying stocks. I sprang for the Mitchell just this weekend because it was going low. There are so many sets that look good that I always end up waiting to buy...

I was thinking about the Mobley (hasn't it been out a while?) or the Eldridge, but some "bad press" in the BNBB (I think) dissuaded me a bit...

Edited by chris

Nope, not looking for an investment. That was just a shallow witticism. I tend to buy when things hit "running low" not for the money but because that is usually the one key factor that makes a set one I BETTER buy rather than one of the many I REALLY WANT to buy.

But which one to get first?

Leeway & Jim, I know it's small consolation, but a good chunk of this material is available on this Verve 2-CD set, which I think is still in-print:

StuffVerve

Maybe that's part of the licensing problem? That is, Verve has competing product. There must be an interesting story behind all this. Thanks for link. Have you heard the Verve set? Any views on it?

Edited by Leeway

A new Mosaic catalog came in the mail today and the stuff smith is still listed for sale, so this apparently came as a surprise to Mosaic. What's odd, though, is why stuff smith and not the Teddy Wilson, which has been around longer--perhaps different licensing agreements.

FWIW, I picked up the Mobley set for Christmas and it's wonderful.

This sucks.

Chris, I'd definitely get the Mobley first as it's been out a while. I can't believe it's still around to be honest. The Eldridge just came out recently and should be around for a while. But then that's what I thought about the Stuff Smith. As Sundog points out, we seem to have found a flaw in the "running low/last chance" method... :(

We seem to have found a flaw in the "running low/last chance" method... :(

Anybody want to e-mail Mosaic and see what the story is??

At least the Blue Note and Pacific Jazz sets aren't likely to ever "disappear" without warning. Sure, the BN's probably do time-out (I know the Larry Young did), much like many of them do. But this "poof, and it's gone" thing, surely can't happen to any BN Mosaic titles, can it??

Again, I'd be curious what Mosaic has to say about this.

I'm glad I bought that box when it was available. I already had most of the Stuff Smith material that Verve had released but loved the music so much that I wanted to have the box with the additional music. Didn't regret it. This was one of the best and one of the most overlooked Mosaic box. And probably one of the worst seller.

This is really strange!

I got my set maybe a year ago, maybe even two. I was really VERY VERY surprised by the music! Absolutely love it!

That two CD set linked above, however, for all those who missed it, does indeed contain some of the best sessions in the set. Get that one as long as it's around (it's been around for many years, I think, being one of those 3on2 sets Verve did in the second half of the nineties).

ubu

Stuff's sudden disappearance resembles Ventura/Phillips' also sudden deoarture last year or the year before. Guess we can't procrastinate.

Hey, but that one was in the Running Low/Last Chance list for at least a short time.

And then, I don't think the sudden disappearance has got something to do with Verve having stuff out by Stuff, themselves. That two CD set has been around already when the Mosaic appeared. That can't be the reason, it seems.

ubu