Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teasing the Korean

Album Covers That Simply Ran Out of Ideas and/or Money

14 posts in this topic

As if jazz albums don't sell enough already...

R-2066245-1394316256-8111.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

As if jazz albums don't sell enough already...

R-2066245-1394316256-8111.jpeg.jpg

From what I've heard and read, that cover captures Sebesky's general demeanor rather well . 

17 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

From what I've heard and read, that cover captures Sebesky's general demeanor rather well . 

Ha ha! From all those CTI albums, he seemed like he would be a guy in an Italian giallo film, sipping sherry in an Eames recliner and listening to music on a reel-to-reel.

I changed the title to "Ideas and/or Money," as some of these look like cheap photos taken by someone's mom or girlfriend. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

9 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ha ha! From all those CTI albums, he seemed like he would be a guy in an Italian giallo film, sipping sherry in an Eames recliner and listening to music on a reel-to-reel.

Apparently you are/were not alone.

Moving+Lines.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Apparently you are/were not alone.

Moving+Lines.jpg

HOLY #$%@!  He really does look like the killer in a 70s Italian giallo!  Was that the original cover?

Not the original cover. But Doctor Jazz wasn't all that long-lived, soon became a part of sony...Portrait, I think, and that was the cover they gave it then.

1 minute ago, duaneiac said:

MI0000094756.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:D ....

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I changed the title to "Ideas and/or Money," as some of these look like cheap photos taken by someone's mom or girlfriend. 

His arrangements on Paul Desmond's 'Summertime' (from the very early days when CTI was just a sub-brand of A&M) are so good. But that album sounds more luxurious than later CTI efforts; more French Riviera/"The Persuaders" TV series than giallo.

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

His arrangements on Paul Desmond's 'Summertime' (from the very early days when CTI was just a sub-brand of A&M) are so good. But that album sounds more luxurious than later CTI efforts; more French Riviera/"The Persuaders" TV series than giallo.

The A&M era of CTI in general had a lighter, more pop sound.  There are more tracks per album.  The Fantasy era tends to include a lot of long tracks with delirious grooves.