Overlooked

Hardbopjazz

I was listening to his 2 BN dates and theIllinois Jacquet Mosaic, and Parker could play the Baritone Sax as well as anyone I've heard play that instrument. Outside of the Jacquet sides and his 2 BN's, where else can I hear him? AMG, only lists his 2 BN sessions.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I was listening to his 2 BN dates and theIllinois Jacquet Mosaic, and Parker could play the Baritone Sax as well as anyone I've heard play that instrument. Outside of the Jacquet sides and his 2 BN's, where else can I hear him? AMG, only lists his 2 BN sessions.

Hardbopjazz,

Nope, I totally disagree with you on this one:( Leo Parker was hell of a musician, very good flexible player on baritone, and surely he was among them first to adopt modern idiom to that instrument, among just few others. I like his album for BN "Let Me Tell You Bout It" (Spanish BN 84087), and of course his great contribution while playing with Navarro back in 1940's.

Hardbopjazz,

Nope, I totally disagree with you on this one:( Leo Parker was hell of a musician, very good flexible player on baritone, and surely he was among them first to adopt modern idiom to that instrument, among just few others. I like his album for BN "Let Me Tell You Bout It" (Spanish BN 84087), and of course his great contribution while playing with Navarro back in 1940's.

Mmilovan, seems you misread Hardbopjazz initial statement!

He says he has just been turned on to Leo Parker!

Edited by brownie

Leo Parker, a big influnce on Doug "Mr. Low" James, former bari man with Roomful of Blues. Collectables had a Leo Parker cd which has been available as a cutout that featured some great material from the Gotham label:

Woody

Rollin' with Leo

Leo Leaps In (3 takes)

Solitude

Henry Durant - tenor, James Robertson - trumpet, Kenny Drew - piano, Curley Russell - bass, Eddie Bourne - drums rec. Dec. 28, 1950 (This was also issued on vinyl by Onyx in the '70's). This is about half of that cd, the rest is by someone whose name escapes me (not too memorable).

The Chess lp has the following:

Anything Can Happen

Blue Sails

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (two takes)

Tippin Lightly

Unknown piano, bass, drums rec. August 10, 1953 Parrot Records

Candellight Serenade

Hornet

Leo's Blues

Eddie Johnson - tenor, Claude Jones - piano, Johnny Pate - bass, Al Williams - drums rec. July 1951 Chess Records

The second take of Smoke Gets has Leo double tracking a second solo over the first. This lp is filled out by a couple of cuts from Red Saunders and Sahib Shihab. It's a personal favorite. There's also a King session from 1954 that I have on reissue vinyl the has Leo Parker and Bill Jennings as co-leaders

Edited by Tom in RI

Hardbopjazz,

Mmilovan, seems you misread Hardbopjazz initial statement!

He says he has just been turned on to Leo Parker!

I'm sorry for misunderstanding hardbopjazz, but it was word "overlooked" after the thread title...

So, my apologies, hardbopjazz,

and more Leo Parker to listen to! :mellow:

• 1 year later...

Thought this might be a good time to bring up this year plus old thread as there is an RVG looming on the release schedule (YAY!)

You know I find it amazing that Collectables is STILL offering "Back to Back Baritones" (a great cd that contains Parker's Gothan sides et al) for 2.98!

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id_53292.html

While reading this again I remember that I have always wondered why Parker didn't get the Mosaic treatment like Serge Chaloff did. Now he wasn't a virtuoso in the same league, but had fire and spirit, and was a bop pioneer. That's enough for me. His last sessions with Bill Jennings are reported to be rather bland, I read somewhere, but everything else sounds fine to me.

• 3 months later...

I just discovered "Rollin' with Leo" at a used CD shop for $20. I put it on hold. I've never seen this disc, and I believe it is one of the rarest of US Bluenote CD reissues. Hasn't sold on ebay in a long time so I have no idea of its street value. I usually don't spend $20+ on a single used disc - so my question is this: Is it worth it - in terms of musical and monetary value? Should I go back and get it?

Yeah! This is a really soulful album. I like it MUCH better than "Let me tell you..."

The whole thing is right; the title and the sleeve really do give the right impression of the music inside. On the inside covers of old BN LPs in the 60s, you can see this one advertised (like several other BNs that weren't released) and we used to drool over it. Until, that is, the album was released in France in 1986. Then we drooled over the real thing. After over 20 years of waiting, the album wasn't a disappointment.

Buy it. If you don't like it, I'll send you $20.

MG

PS The album Leo made with Bill Jennings - "Billy in the Lion's den" for King in 1954 is very, very nice. It's not as hot as his BN albums, nor the Savoy material he recorded with Dex or Jug. It's a very relaxed, laid back set. But Leo shows that he doesn't always have to be the Wild Man of the Baritone (which is how he was billed in the 40s. And on some of the ballads, his sound is wonderfully expansive.

PPS

Since no one seems to have mentioned them, the material he made with Dex was issued on a Dex LP "Mastertakes" and includes the original version of "Settin' the pace". The stuff with Jug, with Leo as leader, was included in an Ammons LP called "Red Top".

MG