Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

king ubu

Friends, John B. gave me the shoulder tap to choose another album of the week.

As I happened to pick this up two or three days ago, I though why not:

Jackie Mclean - Jackie's Bag (click to buy)

69847.jpg

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll do as soon as I find an hour of spare time.

The first session, Jackie's first visit to the Van Gelder studio as a BN recording artist, features Donald Byrd as his frontline parter, and the terrific rhythm section of Sonny Clark-Paul Chambers-Philly Joe Jones. The second date, more than a year later in time, and maybe worlds in musical development, features Jackie's "Connection" understudy Tina Brooks.

I'm quite excited to finally have this one, as I hesitated to lay out as much as they're asking for RVGs here, but now I got it in a BN sale.

I hope there's a few among you who have it and will offer some reviews and opinions!

ubu

it has the bonus track that never made it to BFT5 (Quadrangle), with Clark sitting out.

That "bonus track" of yours is really nice, the only cut I listened already. I don't really see (or better: hear) the point of McLean having had problems to find changes to fit that tune etc. The horns come up with poised and very good solos.

This is one of only two McLean CDs I have - his tone just won't get to me. Always slighty flat or whatever - perhaps JSngry can inform me what it is that makes him sound like this.

But this is a beautiful album, I have to admit I bought it for Tina Brooks and Blue Mitchell and for the wonderful compositions - McLean's included.

It is telling that Brooks' three tunes were kept off the orginal LP. Without the three tracks from the earlier session this would have been a much tighter album.

Great choice! :tup

This is a great record. And in my opinion, exemplifies the "Blue Note Sound."

It's unfortunate that the first session didn't produce more music but what little we get to hear is incredible. The melody of Quadrangle sounds like Jackie was beginning to stretch his wings (could it be possible that he had heard Ornette's stuff in January of 1959???) and break free. Interesting that he was still tied to using "rhythm changes" for the solos but even here he's starting to stretch out beyond the normal bebop approach.

Think I'll listen to this on the commute home tonight!

I love this one, as I do all of Jackie's 60's Blue Notes. Both of the dates are very solid, showcasing Jackie's always outstanding solos, and as good of an example as any of where Jackie was right before he took it "out".

I have a mild prejudice against albums that consists of sessions widely dispersed in time, and with different personnel. You can't really call it an album; it lacks the coherence and consistency of a unified effort. That said, "Jackie's Bag" is a pretty good Mclean album.

The first three pieces (I have the JRVG, so arrangement may differ), with Donals Byrd, Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones is enjoyable. Clark comes into his own on "Fidel." Mclean is always good in a blues number, as he is here in "Blues Inn." I felt Byrd was playing more to show off his chops than to make himself a part of the group.

"Jackie's Bag" really comes into its own with the next session, with Blue Mitchell, Tina Brooks, Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor. I prefer Mitchelll to Byrd. Tina adds a great feeling to the session, but it's still clearly Jackie's session. The songs themselves, as well as the playing, seem to me superior to the first sesion. "Appointment in Ghana," and "Isle of Java," particularly stand out for me, but it's all good-- really good. This session has a really compelling quality.

A favorite of mine---used to have it on vinyl.  The RVG edition is like having half a Sonny Clark album and half a Tina Brooks album.  Will listen again tonight! :)

Wow thats weird because I got half a Donald Byrd with mine! :D

True, true....

All depends how you look at it! B-) Byrd's playing is very nice on this, as I recall, particularly "Quadrangle."

Inspired by this thread, I listened to Jackie's Bag several times last night and once this morning. For some reason this one did not resonate with me immediately in the first few listens, but last night I was really digging it! I wonder how I didn't hear it the same the first few times, very puzzling.

I agree with Gary, I really enjoy Donald Byrd's playing in this context. I'll also echo that the bonus tracks with Tina Brooks are excellent, I particularly like "Street Singer." Kenny Drew's playing on "A Ballad For Doll" stands out to me as well.

When I listened to this yesterday "Appointment In Ghana" stood out for me this time... Don't know why.

Leeway's comments about albums that are put-togethers from two divergent sessions are well taken. But somehow this album works pretty well for me, and Vertigo is also one of my favorite Jackie McLean albums, despite being cobbled from two sessions that were something like a year or more apart. I guess I approach them as being almost like 10" Connoisseur reissues---two on one disc, so good value if you like both.

These are sounds I love.

I recompiled this way:

DISC 1

Jan '59 from Jackie's Bag

Byrd, McLean, Clark, Chambers, Jones

1. Quadrangle (McLean) 4:42

2. Blues Inn (McLean) 9:04

3. Fidel (McLean) 7:07

May '59 from New Soil

Byrd, McLean, Davis, Chambers, La Roca

4. Hip Strut (McLean) 11:15

5. Minor Apprehension (McLean) 7:30

6. Greasy (Davis) 7:20

7. Sweet Cakes (Davis) 6:41

8. Davis Cup (Davis) 5:25

9. Formidable (Davis) 6:13

DISC 2

Sep '60 from Jackie's Bag

Mitchell, McLean, Brooks, Drew, Chambers, Taylor

1. Appointment In Ghana (McLean) 6:56

2. A Ballad For Doll (McLean) 3:16

3. Melonae's Dance (McLean) 6:47

4. Isle Of Java (Brooks) 7:25

5. Street Singer (Brooks) 10:18

6. Medina (Brooks) 6:46

Oct '60 from Back To The Tracks

Mitchell, Brooks, Drew, Chambers, Taylor

7. Back To The Tracks (Brooks) 8:05

8. The Blues And I (Brooks) 8:53

9. For Heaven's Sake (Don Meyer, Elise Bretton, Sherman Edwards) 6:03

10. The Ruby And The Pearl (Jay Livingston) 5:08

/

"The first session [is] Jackie's first visit to the Van Gelder studio as a BN recording artist [. . . ]" [king ubu]

It was his first session as a leader for Blue Note. But he had previously recorded as a sideman for the Cool Struttin' and Off To The Races albums.

Edited by Cornelius

Inspired by this thread, I listened to Jackie's Bag several times last night and once this morning. For some reason this one did not resonate with me immediately in the first few listens, but last night I was really digging it! I wonder how I didn't hear it the same the first few times, very puzzling.

Wrong CD in the wrong place at the wrong time, perhaps? ;)

I'm not sure I understand the reference to 'Quadrangle' being a bonus track. Jackie previously recorded this tune on Lights Out as 'Inding'. 'Fidel' previously appeared as 'Couldn't It Be You' (credited to McLean and Blakey) on the Messengers RCA date A Night In Tunisia (AKA Theory Of Art), the one on which Jackie is listed as Ferris Bender.

Not all three Brooks compositions were left off the original vinyl - 'Isle Of Java' was on it. McLean's 'Melonae's Dance' was missing, however. 'Medina' is the same composition as 'Minor Move'.

The BN discography claims that there were two further rejected (and untitled) tracks for the first session. Perhaps these would have been enough to make up an entire album. The second session (which I have read was originally planned to be billed as co-led by Brooks and McLean) was actually enough to make up its own LP. So if those two performances from the first session had been successful, we probably would have seen two separate albums released at the time.

As for the music, I find the sextet session to be one of Jackie's absolute masterpieces. The arrangements are fabulous - they really make great use of the presence of the three horns (listen to the head of 'Medina' or the entire 'Ballad For Doll' to see what I mean). This one is so good, I'm thinking of getting the RVG (even though I have the older version) just to see if I can hear anything new.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

"The first session [is] Jackie's first visit to the Van Gelder studio as a BN recording artist [. . . ]" [king ubu]

It was his first session as a leader for Blue Note. But he had previously recorded as a sideman for the Cool Struttin' and Off To The Races albums.

That's what I meant to say, of course! Thanks for correcting!

I like this one better than the other pre-Let Freedom Ring Jackie Mac BN's. Some of those have a bit of hard-bop-genericness, but here there's a strong combination of interesting, original compositions and terrific performances.

Guy

I spun this disc again last night and agree completely. The writing is fresh and interesting and there are some top-notch performances turned in here. The disc suffers a little bit from the "hodge-podge" nature of the multiple recording sessions, but that is, at most, a minor quibble.