Wayne Shorter "Beyond the Sound Barrier"

HWright

According to amazon.com, there is a new Wayne Shorter live album coming out next week...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...0194548-8172170

Beyond the Sound Barrier [LIVE]

Wayne Shorter

List Price: $18.98

Price: $13.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details.

You Save: $4.99 (26%)

Product Details

Audio CD (June 14, 2005)

Original Release Date: June 14, 2005

Label: Verve

ASIN: B0009I8QAY

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #680 in Music

1. Smilin' Through Listen Listen Listen

2. As Far as the Eye Can See Listen Listen Listen

3. On Wings of Song Listen Listen Listen

4. Tinker Bell Listen Listen Listen

5. Joy Ryder Listen Listen Listen

6. Over Shadow Hill Way Listen Listen Listen

7. Adventures Aboard the Golden Mean Listen Listen Listen

8. Beyond the Sound Barrier Listen Listen Listen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Wayne Shorter took jazz by storm with 2002’s Footprints Live!, marking the return of the firebrand improviser of the 1960s after decades of self-effacing fusion. Beyond the Sound Barrier continues in the same vein, with more live recordings of his working quartet. Pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci and drummer Brian Blade bring a mercurial collective creativity to the project, adding a fresh urgency to the kind of interactivity that marked Shorter’s classic Blue Notes and his work with Miles Davis. The group can venture into free jazz on "Tinker Bell," explore the classical lyricism of Mendelssohn’s "On Wings of Song," or bring new life to older compositions, as with the leader’s spinning, high velocity runs on "Joy Ryder" and the multi-dimensional exploration of "Over Shadow Hill Way." Each track is an adventure, with Shorter’s saxophones dancing through the band’s creative firestorm. --Stuart Broomer

Sounds like a delightful souvenir of the show I saw (well, while I don't know where the songs were recorded it'll work as such.) I wondered what the song titles were. :)

I have an order I need to add to so I'll add this to it. Good timing!

I'll be getting this. I really dig the other two on Verve.

There was a time a few years ago when all I knew about WS was his work with Miles and Weather Report. I'm glad I made the effort to change that condition when I made it a point to get into his Blue Notes.

I've had it for a few days now (Japanese version with a bonus track that could easily have fit on the US version), here's my imprsssions:

1. Same boomy bass typical of Verve in recent years. Otherwise very clear and crisp sound.

2. Much more Soprano than Footprints Live.

3. Too much noodling and abstractions going nowhere for my tastes. Generally, Wayne doesn't bear down and dig in very much anymore.

4. Wayne's soprano sound is the bright Yamaha sound and that's a pity, but hre does put more into that horn than his tenor now. I have a feeling that Wayne should move off that Link 10* to something a little easier to blow at his age, his tenor tone is too light.

5. Danilo Perez bugs me. Too much of the neo-classical and Monk with-a-latin-touch stuff, too many dazzling runs out of nowhere that are lovely but add nothing. Danilo seems to be too self servingly virtuoso for my tastes. A lot of flash that goes nowhere.

All in all, I thought this one was quite inferior to Footprints Live. Just not in the same league.

Robert h,

I can't believe they're doing this Japanese-only bonus cut thing again. I thought that was over, since Alegria did not have this problem. What's the name of the extra cut? Perhaps it will show up on itunes.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The bonus track is "Zero Gravity" clocking in at 6:24, it's actually not a bad tune, better than much of the rest.

Verve have a shitty track record with this sort of thing, when Alice Coltrane's record came out lasy year, the bonus track was so amazing it made it a whole new record in feel and stature. So it seems a regular pattern with Verve.

I've seen him play live -  what's the problem?  Too "different" for you?

If you'd read my first post, you might have noticed that I said I liked his last record a lot. And, I have seen Shorter live many times. I just don't like his new record, although, AS I STATED, the problem is not so much with his playing, but with the group dynamic, which falls short.

You haven't answered my question as to whether you've heard the new record. When you have, you might even agree with me.

Until then, why not keep your comments to yourself?

If you'd read my first post, you might have noticed that I said I liked his last record a lot. And, I have seen Shorter live many times.  I just don't like his new record, although, AS I STATED, the problem is not so much with his playing, but with the group dynamic, which falls short.

Jack,

Have you heard any of the many unofficial recordings of the group? How does this release compare to those?

Guy

What I'm getting at is -- what do you mean by "noodling?"  No, I have not heard the cd, but it is new material from live concerts, many of which I have heard.  By not gelling, is it because to your ears, each player is being too separate, playing in their own sphere, or is it the compositions?

And no, I will NOT keep my comments to myself.

I think you are taking my comment abouty "noodling" a little too literally. I thought that the musicians rarely found a common ground, that is, a singleness of purpose in the music. I don't know just how many of these pieces can actually be considered compositions - they are more like semi-free improvisations. Not that it matters, but you asked. If you are a devotee of Wayne Shorter, as I suspect you are, you will want to hear this for yourself, of course. After the brilliant previous album, this one just seemed too loose, unfocused, and I was disappointed. On the last album, I was very impressed at how the band was able to weave in and out of familiar material, and make it totally fresh. On this record, I get the impression that their aim is spontaneity, but the magic just doesn't happen. I wouldn't have bothered to criticize the record, but somebody else already did, and I wanted to agree with him. Sorry I brought it up.

In regards to you keeping your comments to yourself, you came across as smug, questioning the validity of my opinion, and that usually pisses me off.

Jack,

Have you heard any of the many unofficial recordings of the group?  How does this release compare to those?

Guy

Have only heard the "official" releases. Can't tell you where this one falls amongst the others. I would suspect that there are private recordings that are better than this. I should know better than to criticize the work of a musician held in as high esteem as Wayne Shorter, but I can't help it. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

In regards to you keeping your comments to yourself, you came across as smug, questioning the validity of my opinion, and that usually pisses me off.

I agree completely. When you have not even heard the record you have no business whatsoever giving your comments, let alone alone abrasively attacking a poster who has heard the record.