Gambit Records

Bill B

Gambit is (supposedly) part of the Definitive/Disconforme emporium.

Their catalogue so far (from Fresh Sound Records website):

GAMBIT

Hard Driving Jazz

Cecil Taylor

Featuring: Cecil Taylor, John Coltrane, Kenny Dorham, Chuck Israels, Louis Hayes

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Let's Fall In Love

Betty Carter

Featuring: Gigi Gryce, Ray Bryant, Richard Weiss, Jimmy ClevelandUrbie Green, Conte Candoli, Jerome Richardson, Wendell Marshall, Philly Joe Jones

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

The Trio

Tommy Flanagan - Ron Carter - Tony Williams

Featuring: Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter, Tony Williams

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

First Place Again

Paul Desmond Quartet

Featuring: Paul Desmond, Jim Hall, Percy Heath, Connie Kay

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

The Tokyo Albums

Johnny Hartman

Featuring: Yoshiko 'Chin' Suzuki, Miko Masuda, Terumasa Hino

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Tranesition - The Complete Paul Chambers Sessions

John Coltrane

Featuring: John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Curtis Fuller, Kenny Drew, Pepper Adams, Kenny Burrell, Horace Silver, Philly Joe Jones

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Bill Evans And Orchestra - Brandeis Jazz Festival

Bill Evans

Featuring: Bill Evans, Gunther Schuller, George Russell, Art Farmer, Jimmy Knepper, Don Elliot

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

69213_2

The Complete Uppsala Concert (2 Cds Set)

Eric Dolphy

Featuring: Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl), Rony Johansson (p), Kurt Lindgren (b), Rune Carlsson (dr)

€ 15.45 (USD 18.37)

Stitt Goes Green

Sonny Stitt

Featuring: Sonny Stitt (as, ts), Bunky Green (as), Benny Green (tb), Bobby Buster (organ), Joe Diorio (g), Dorel Anderson (d)...

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Blues Is Everybody's Business

Manny Albam

Featuring: Manny Albam, Art Farmer, Bob Brookmeyer, Al Cohn, Phil Woods, Eddie Costa

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Third Dimension And Beyond

Roland Kirk

Featuring: Roland Kirk (ts, manzello, whistle, stritch), Ron Burton (p, organ), Donald Garrett (b), Gerald Brown (dr)...

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Westcoast - Eastcoast Encounter

John Lewis

Featuring: John Lewis (p), Dizzy Gillespie (tp), Sonny Stitt (as), Jim Hall (g), Percy Heath (b), Chico Hamilton (dr)...

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

The Final Concerts

Oscar Peterson

Featuring: Oscar Peterson (p), Ray Brown (b), Ed Thigpen (dr)

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Blues On The Rocks

Jim Hall Trio

Featuring: Jim Hall (g), Red Mitchell (p), Red Kelly (b)

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Complete Recordings With Kenny Burrell & Barry Galbraith

Hank Jones Quartet

Featuring: Hank Jones (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Kenny Burrell (g), Milt Hinton (b), Elvin Jones (dr)

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

I Love Everybody

Johnny Hartman & Oliver Nelson

Featuring: Oliver Nelson, Ollie Mitchell, Al Porcino, Conte Candoli, Billy Byers, Mike Barone, Gabe Baltazar

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Complete Recordings

Carmen Mcrae

Featuring: Ray Bryant, Ike Isaacs, Specs Wright, Raoul Poliakin, Jimmy Cleveland, Barry Galbraight, Charlie Shavers

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

All Roads Lead To Rome

Ella Fitzgerald & Her Trio

Featuring: Ella Fitzgerald, Lou Levy, Jo Jones

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

Live In France 1978

Chet Baker

Featuring: Chet Baker, Phil Markowitz, Scott Lee, Larry Ridley, David Lee

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

The Original Trio

Jimmy Giuffre & Jim Hall

Featuring: Jimmy Giuffre, Jim Hall, Ralph Peña

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)

The looks are good but I have no idea how they sound. I have stayed away from their releases so far. The Gambit albums I have seen are an odd mix from various sessions and from various labels (Verve, BN, Pacific Jazz, UA, Decca, etc...).

I'm usually pretty open about these Spanish-Andorran releases but these Gambits are quite an odd mix and do not feel right!

GAMBIT     

Hank Jones Quartet

Featuring: Hank Jones (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Kenny Burrell (g), Milt Hinton (b), Elvin Jones (dr)

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)  

That must be the one including Jones's "Gigi" and "Here's Love". Watch out for the follow-up (just out): "Hank Jones Quartet With Kenny Burrell And Barry Galbraith - Complete Recordings, vol. 2". It includes the albums "The Talented Touch" and "Porgy And Bess"

Yep, exactly like last year's Mighty Quinn's Okra-Tone reissue (approved by EMI, current owner of the masters).

Hank.jpg

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

I listened to the Jim Hall on headphones in a shop and it did not sound like it was dubbed from LP - in fact I was surprised at the good sound quality!

This includes the rare Modest Trio LP with Red Kelly (which I didn't find so thrilling, I must admit) and the three tracks with Hall from the Chico Hamilton Trio LP - both from Pacific Jazz.

NEW Bill Evans - Complete February 1972 Paris ORTF Performance (Gambit Records 69230) Nov 1

— with Eddie Gomez (bass) and Marty Morell (drums)

NEW Bill Evans - Koln Concert 1976 (Gambit Records 69228) Nov 1

— with Eddie Gomez (bass) and Eliot Zigmund (drums)

NEW Bill Evans - Live In Rome 1979 (Gambit Records 69229) Nov 1

— with Marc Johnson (bass) and Joe LaBarbera (drums)

These are advertised by CD Universe.The Rome concert may be a copy of "The Brilliant" WestWind WW2058. According to the late Peter Pettinger:My Heart Sings,

This concert was in Koblenz Dec 5.1979 not Rome.

Edited by Bill B

GAMBIT     

Hank Jones Quartet

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)  

That must be the one including Jones's "Gigi" and "Here's Love". Watch out for the follow-up (just out): "Hank Jones Quartet With Kenny Burrell And Barry Galbraith - Complete Recordings, vol. 2". It includes the albums "The Talented Touch" and "Porgy And Bess"

Yep, exactly like last year's Mighty Quinn's Okra-Tone reissue (approved by EMI, current owner of the masters).

Hank.jpg

F

Just wanted to chime in on this... definitely buy this Okratone release! It's great, with Wolff photos, very nice presentation! Some info can be found on the board - I think in the HJ b-day thread.

The one that I had in my hands twice already, but haven't heard any of it, is the Stitt goes Green disc.

The looks are good but I have no idea how they sound. I have stayed away from their releases so far. The Gambit  albums I have seen are an odd mix from various sessions and from various labels (Verve, BN, Pacific Jazz, UA, Decca, etc...).

I'm usually pretty open about these Spanish-Andorran releases but these Gambits are quite an odd mix and do not feel right!

They sound good to me but I'm no audiophile!

Edited by sheldonm

The looks are good but I have no idea how they sound. I have stayed away from their releases so far. The Gambit  albums I have seen are an odd mix from various sessions and from various labels (Verve, BN, Pacific Jazz, UA, Decca, etc...).

They sound good to me but I'm no audiophile!

I'm being tempted :o

• 3 months later...

GAMBIT     

Hank Jones Quartet

€ 12.45 (USD 14.80)  

F

Just recently heard a track or two from the Okra-Tone release Talented Touch and plan on buying it soon. Was wondering if there is a legit release of the contents of the Gambit Complete Recordings v. 1 (Gigi and Here's Love).

Just recently heard a track or two from the Okra-Tone release Talented Touch and plan on buying it soon. Was wondering if there is a legit release of the contents of the Gambit Complete Recordings v. 1 (Gigi and Here's Love).

Setting aside the morality for the moment, is the Gigi and Here's Love music worth tracking down? It looks like Gambit is the only game in town for this, unless Okra-Tone gets around to it.

Also, Lonehill has Hank Jones/Tyree Glenn's Quintet/Sextet Complete Recordings. Three Complete Albums Tyree Glenn's "at the Embers", "at the Roundtable" and "at the London House". Is it available legitimately (on CD) and is it worth tracking down? Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

For example, this:

11099352_155_155.jpeg

John Coltrane - The Complete Copenhagen Concert 1963

Has this been issued before, whether legit or not?

Yes, it has been out on CD before on the Magnetic label. I think I used to see Magnetic CDs in circa the early 90s, but they are in any case long OOP. It was a bootleg label, but at least those were original boots. I'm sure the Gambit CDs are just rips of the Magnetic CDs.

The Paris set that randyhersom mentions was also on Magnetic, by the way.

The Pablo Live Trane set is a discographical mess, and even includes tracks that are actually from Birdland. The tracks that are claimed to be from this Paris concert are in fact not, so there is no overlap.

I wouldn't normally go for the Gambit stuff but I'll get two tracks from them from eMusic this month. Them being two tracks from the Curtis Counce OJC Landslide that SHOULD be available from Concord - but haven't been for over a year (they just show up as missing tracks in the album's tracklist). I have contacted eMusic about such tracks on another OJC (some Shelly Manne album) last year and they still haven't bothered to re-upload those tracks. What's so difficult about that?

This was mentioned in another post:

11073192_155_155.jpeg

Donald Byrd Sextet - Complete Recordings

Does anyone know where this was originally issued?

This comes from two sessions recorded for the Transition label.

The first seven tracks were on the 'Byrd Jazz' LP,

The two bonus tracks were on the 'Byrd's Eyes View' LP. Both sessions were recorded in 1955 and have been reissued on CD elsewhere.