AOTW April 29 - May 5: Reuben Wilson - Love Bug & Blue Mode

Never would have recognized Klarwein from the excerpt they used as a cover - have to admit I find the whole pic much better.

A Klarwein cover on a Blue Note LP - who would have thunk it .....

Jackie McLean's Demon's Dance is another one

cover04.jpg

Guest donald petersen

my favorite solo is the drum solo in the first track on love bug.

however i find that the album gets a bit too mellow after that.

though now that i am more mature perhaps i would enjoy it more.

I agree. If anyone wants to know why I keep banging on about the genius of Idris Muhammad, compare Love bug to Blue Mode and hear the difference he makes. Hot Rod, the first and best track from Love Bug is all Idris. In the sleeve notes Wilson says that he gave this one to Idris to his own thing with, and what a groove. I don't mind one track albums if the one track is as good as this. (There are other good moments on Love Bug including the title track). Blue Mode is a more consistent LP but for my money, the man IM is sorely missing.

I agree. If anyone wants to know why I keep banging on about the genius of Idris Muhammad, compare Love bug to Blue Mode and hear the difference he makes. Hot Rod, the first and best track from Love Bug is all Idris. In the sleeve notes Wilson says that he gave this one to Idris to his own thing with, and what a groove. I don't mind one track albums if the one track is as good as this. (There are other good moments on Love Bug including the title track). Blue Mode is a more consistent LP but for my money, the man IM is sorely missing.

True dat, and I wonder how different BLUE MODE might've sounded with Idris at the skins. Having said that, though, I'm glad he's not, just because of the sound that percolates the grooves on MODE. I'm sure Idris could've done that with one hand tied behind his back; question is would he have been content to just ride the groove the way Tommy Derrick does?

Interesting thought, nonetheless!