Joseph Jarman

paul secor

In the past couple of days I've listened to Joseph Jarman on two recordings: one under his own name - Earth Passage/Density, and another under the leadership of Joel Futterman - Vision in Time. I enjoyed his playing on both of these, but I feel that I don't have a true sense of Joseph Jarman's music. Listening to the Art Ensemble over the years, I've had the sense that he is the most self effacing member of that group.

John Litweiler, in his book, The Freedom Principle, writes:

"I'm afraid that until he [Joseph Jarman] is more frequently documented on his own, away from the Art Ensemble, he will remain one of our unacknowledged legislators."

I'm not sure that that documentation has occured. Perhaps it has, and I'm not aware of it. I'd be grateful for any advice as to solo recordings, individual solos, or something that I might be missing in my listening, that might help me find my way into Joseph Jarman's music.

Organissimo threads tend to go where they may, and I hope that this one will do that also. I would have placed this in recommendations, but I don't believe that there has been a thread devoted to Joseph Jarman, so I hope that this will be a place for appreciations, stories, recommendations - whatever folks have to say about him and his music.

There are also his early albums on Delmark ("Song For" I have, it's ok, there's another one, I think).

I never felt like checking him out really... just didn't convince me, really. The one other non-AEC disc of his I have is a duo with Marilyn Crispell (on Music&Arts), which again is ok but not much more. It's been a while though since I played this or "Song For", maybe it's time for a re-evaluation?

A couple of years ago I had the privilege of seeing Joseph and Henry Grimes play together at a house in West Hollywood... they played for a couple of hours (I think that's about how long they played), and it was one of the most intense, beautiful, and spiritual things I have ever experienced.

I guess it's true that Joseph has probably showcased himself less than some of the other members of AEoC, but as an individual he is an amazing musician and person. His music (and compositions) floats, soars, stings, rumbles, illuminates... and leaves no doubt that his is a beautiful soul!

Joseph Jarman? Oh HELL YEAH!

Cheers,

Shane

'song for' is a great classic and not to missed and is one of the first delmark recordings.

a very unusual, and one of my favorite jarman led groups is 'out of the mist,' on ocean records, with jarman on perhaps a dozen different instruments, leroy jenkins on several instruments, jeffrey schanzer on guitar, myra melford playing piano and prepared piano, and lindsey horner playing bass and pennywhistle.

this 1997 recording is at once one of the most creative, meditative, and beautiful recordings i own.

here's a review from the all music guide:

Free blowing often inspires traffic and automotive metaphors -- all those horns -- and these 14 cuts suggest one more: five musicians playing as if respecting a four-way stop. This album was released on a Vermont label, and is the packaging ever misleading. Melanie Powell's cover painting is as serenely vague upside down as it is right side up, while the album title (in large type) evokes the new age racks or a movie soundtrack. But before you pass it by, check the fine print for the artists' names. Joseph Jarman's tenor saxophone and Leroy Jenkins' violin are better known from two important jazz outfits, respectively, the Art Ensemble of Chicago and the Revolutionary Ensemble. This time, Jarman's other axes include ceramic flutes, bass flute, "hands" (sic), some rather useless chimes and gongs, and the mysterious Isan. Jenkins swaps his violin for a harmonica on a few cuts, as well as playing kalimba, but that violin makes a great foil for the rather stiff timbre of Jarman's ceramic flutes. And a little stiffness proves to be a virtue this time. For one instance, the long cut "Rain Forest" is both more insidious and more pleasing than mere hypnotic, mellow, ethnic jazz. There's a ceremonial feel to the playing; a stateliness that focuses the improvisations as surely as a handy stopwatch, cordiality co-exists with chaos. There's no woodwind squawking from Jarman, no behind-the-bridge squeaking from Jenkins, and even the prepared piano played by fellow jazz workshopper Myra Melford's is pretty. Elsewhere, bassist Lindsay Horner doubles on the fleshiest-sounding penny whistle ever heard. Jeffrey Schanzer's guitar contributes gentle plucked harp dischords to "Prayer at Sea," though he's surprisingly underused even there. The closing "Chanting" sounds like Georgi Lygeti's vocal work "Atmospheres" performed at the humble level of a barbershop quartet, with everyone joining the chant. Melford, Jarman, and Jenkins have since recorded under the name of Equal Interest, releasing a self-titled album in 1999.

~John Young, All Music Guide

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Guest Bill Barton

...The...other non-AEC disc of his I have is a duo with Marilyn Crispell (on Music&Arts), which again is ok but not much more. It's been a while though since I played this or "Song For", maybe it's time for a re-evaluation?

I've been thinking about purchasing a copy of the Crispell duo CD (which has been on sale at Berkshire Record Outlet for a very reasonable price for quite some time). If it "grabs" you next time around, please let us know...

The Magic Triangle on Black Saint with Don Pullen and Famoudou Don Moye kicks some serious butt.

Edited by Bill Barton

A couple of years ago I had the privilege of seeing Joseph and Henry Grimes play together at a house in West Hollywood... they played for a couple of hours (I think that's about how long they played), and it was one of the most intense, beautiful, and spiritual things I have ever experienced.

I guess it's true that Joseph has probably showcased himself less than some of the other members of AEoC, but as an individual he is an amazing musician and person. His music (and compositions) floats, soars, stings, rumbles, illuminates... and leaves no doubt that his is a beautiful soul!

Cheers,

Shane

I was at that show as well, and that wasn't just any house, it was the Schindler House, now called the MAK Center, designed & lived in by Rudolf Schindler.

And it was right after (or just before) Grimes's move back to NYC.

And it was a beautiful concert.

But I have a vague recollection of him saying that he had largely left music making (or at least recording) for a number of years, and was just returning to it. His concerns had gone in other spiritual and artistic directions. His spiritual concerns were an integral part of the music he played that night.

Edited by Adam

...The...other non-AEC disc of his I have is a duo with Marilyn Crispell (on Music&Arts), which again is ok but not much more. It's been a while though since I played this or "Song For", maybe it's time for a re-evaluation?

I've been thinking about purchasing a copy of the Crispell duo CD (which has been on sale at Berkshire Record Outlet for a very reasonable price for quite some time). If it "grabs" you next time around, please let us know...

I'll try to remember...

I've got another one, "Inheritance" - looks almost as cheap as a boot... it's got Geri Allen on piano with the great Hopkins/Moye rhythm section... got to play that one again soon, too!

I think 'Song For...' is extraordinary, well up there with the other early Delmarks, and as with those recordings, downright remarkable when one considers the recording date. I possibly enjoy the other, 'As If It Were The Seasons' a little more - some fantastic Muhal Richard Abrams on there...

I'd second the recommendation for 'The Magic Triangle' with Pullen and Moye.

Cheers,

Shane

This may be an internet listing for the concert you attended - http://www.soundnet.org/sound/mak/2003/september.shtml

Cheers,

Shane

This may be an internet listing for the concert you attended - http://www.soundnet.org/sound/mak/2003/september.shtml

Yep, that's it.

Your post motivated me to pull out Bright Moments: Return of the Lost Tribe. It is a very worthwhile album. It is more "inside" than one might expect from the personnel (Jarman, Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre, Adegoke Steve Colson, Malachi Favors, Kahil El'Zabor). Most of the compositions are in a traditional jazz song form, many with catchy heads. The solos are focused and compelling, including Jarman's. Jarman plays an absolutely lovely extended flute solo on his composition "Kudus". He plays alto sax on the other cuts, from the right channel. (The liner notes state that Kalaparusha is heard in the left channel on tenor sax, Jarman in the right on alto sax).

This is probably one of the most conventionally accessible albums which Jarman has played on.

I've been listening to some Art Ensemble recordings over the past week, and have been impressed with some of Joseph Jarman's compositions and by what he adds with his ensemble/background work - somewhat frustrating that he doesn't tend to solo as much as the other two horns.

I'll have to relisten to the Nessa box and check out some recordings under his own name.

There's a record of Jarman's I bought right as he was coming out of his break from music, and it is a community disc, really, and full of the spirit of discovery as well as beginner's playing. Brave of him to do that -- teach, sure, but document it for what it is without apology.

Has anyone heard "Equal Interest" with Jarman, Leroy Jenkins and Myra Melford?

Jarman's been difficult for me to get a handle on, too, as he's a kind of trickster: a gifted melodicist, a flame thrower; a gentle spirit, a committed fighter.

There's a record of Jarman's I bought right as he was coming out of his break from music, and it is a community disc, really, and full of the spirit of discovery as well as beginner's playing. Brave of him to do that -- teach, sure, but document it for what it is without apology.

Has anyone heard "Equal Interest" with Jarman, Leroy Jenkins and Myra Melford?

Jarman's been difficult for me to get a handle on, too, as he's a kind of trickster: a gifted melodicist, a flame thrower; a gentle spirit, a committed fighter.

I have "Equal Interest" with Jarman, Leroy Jenkins and Myra Melford. Each of them contributes compositions to the album. It is, for the most part, a restrained, celebral album, almost chamber music. Much of it has a dissonant sound to it. Jarman's flute playing on his "Poem Song" is very beautiful, but that is about it for conventional listening enjoyment. There are no rollicking moments on the album. I can appreciate it more than enjoy it.

It is probably really a stunning masterpiece and I am just too musically uninformed to understand why.