Clean Feed new releases

Clean Feed

I already preodered the Gonzalez disc directly from Dennis and hope to have it soon. Really looking forward to hearing that one. I was at the Tonic gig by the quartet and it was a great show.

I am probably going to pick up the Dickey and Lehman discs eventually.

I already preodered the Gonzalez disc directly from Dennis and hope to have it soon. Really looking forward to hearing that one. I was at the Tonic gig by the quartet and it was a great show.

I am probably going to pick up the Dickey and Lehman discs eventually.

Lehman's Trio is a Great record, I was really suprised with the intensety that cames out of that sax you should realy try to listen to it.

where do you live?

"NY Midnight Suite" by Dennis Gonzalez's NY Quartet is, on the basis of two listens, quite a good disc. A three part suite and three other tunes with 5 of those over 10 minutes. Lots of trio sections with sparse, but driving, rhyhtm section. Good blowing by both Gonzalez and Eskelin and some open ears accompaniment by Helias as well. I like it, as in here, when you can hear the contrast in the way the front men solo. More later maybe.

Edited by gnhrtg

we are trying to solve the on line sales directly from us. but we are not ready to have a secure way of doing it.

But you have a distributor in Switerland it´s called

plainisphare

the email is info@plainisphare.ch

and there is a spanish based on line store that sells our records.

To buy

This is a label to watch. Gerry Hemingway's superb "Devils Paradise" was my introduction to it. The new Gonzalez looks like being an essential buy. More of the same please Clean Feed.

Devils Paradise was one of my favorite releases last year. EXCELLENT!

• 4 years later...

This label is fast becoming one of the best imprints for new improvised music. In particular, check out:

• Kirk Knuffke Quartet: Big Wig

If you're exhausted by all the new Dave Douglas releases but are still a fan, you really need to hear this disc. (It's also on eMusic.) Trumpet, trombone, bass, drums — and the quartet finds a way out of the usual Ornette trappings. Recommended.

• Empty Cage Quartet: Stratostrophic

This quartet (alto saxophone, trumpet, bass, drums) works within the Ornette "trappings" and finds new things to say. They've played together for a while, and it shows in all the best ways.

• Harris Eisenstadt: Guewel

This is a good record in a very unexpected way. Taylor Ho Bynum's on it, and perhaps it's he who brings the Braxton "march" influence to the proceedings. Just when you think the music devolves into aimless noodling, it snaps right back into something organic and organized.

Hemingway, Dresser, Lehman, Mahanthappa, Gonzalez, and Eskelin are some of the "bigger" names on the label, but I've found that some of the more rewarding discs are those by relative "unknowns."

For the seven-degrees-from-Blue-Note angle, for those that want to have some kind of connection: think Jackie circa 1967, or Ornette circa 1968, then throw in a healthy dose of Braxton from 1975 (OK, not Blue Note) — and take all those musics and push them forward a notch or two.

• Harris Eisenstadt: Guewel

This is a good record in a very unexpected way. Taylor Ho Bynum's on it, and perhaps it's he who brings the Braxton "march" influence to the proceedings. Just when you think the music devolves into aimless noodling, it snaps right back into something organic and organized.

I'll state my vested interest here, in that I'm a mate of Harris and Taylor and have a band with both of them in, but just to say: I think all of Harris' leader dates are fantastic. I haven't heard this one yet, but it's 'sister' date 'Jalolu' on CIMP is an absolute killer. Harris is a real master of playing as free as you like, and as in-the-pocket as you like - if need be, at the same time.

Another great one on Clean Feed: 'The Diplomats' with him, Steve Swell, and Rob Brown.

• Harris Eisenstadt: Guewel

Actually, the martial stuff is based on traditional music of Senegal, and the more singsong themes are Mbalax-derived. So there you go. Emusic doesn't have liner notes, does it? ;)

Great record.