*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i sold lanquidity a long time ago. when it comes to music i really like style-wise (like lanquidity), i tend to be a tougher listener. i am not sure why i like strange celestial road better. i have soured on disco 3000, actually. i would have preferred the original album with less music. as a double disc set it doesn't hold up for me. i wanted more of the crumar.

Opinions on this one? I can snap it up for about $30. How's the lecture?

I wouldn't pay anywhere near $30 for this... unless you're completist and have everything else the money could be better spent on other Ra items - there's so much being issued and re-issued at the moment. The music disc is solid. But the lecture is the kind of thing you'll listen to once and never again.

I'll add my kudos for the ArtYard re-issue of Disco 3000 - very nicely done. I can't wait for them to release the others... those small group recording from Italy (Disco 3000, Media Dreams, and New Steps (which isn't on the reiisue list)) are amongst my favorite Ra and On Jupiter is excellent. It'll be nice to retire the LP dubs of these I've been living with for years.

Has anyone picked up the Transparency "Live At The Horseshoe Tavern" CD-R box set yet? ...any thoughts?

I'll add my kudos for the ArtYard re-issue of Disco 3000 - very nicely done. I can't wait for them to release the others... those small group recording from Italy (Disco 3000, Media Dreams, and New Steps (which isn't on the reiisue list)) are amongst my favorite Ra and On Jupiter is excellent. It'll be nice to retire the LP dubs of these I've been living with for years.

Has anyone picked up the Transparency "Live At The Horseshoe Tavern" CD-R box set yet? ...any thoughts?

I got the Horsehoe Tavern box Saturday in the mail. Sound is nice. You'll like it.

I got the Horsehoe Tavern box Saturday in the mail. Sound is nice. You'll like it.

Is the Detroit Jazz Center Residency box still available? And are y'all getting these sets directly from Transparency, or through third-party vendors?

I don't have nor have I really looked for a digital image anywhere of the Horsehow cover; it comes in a black binder that has cdrs in sleves two ring bound, with a color photograph on the front. No booklet for this. The two discs I've listened to are both "one track discs," i.e. no indexing of titles. Which is okay with me. Disc ten is an interview disc. As disconcerting as I find his interviews, I may skip that one!

I think Vol. 4 is very good, and I also really like Vol. 1's music.

Edited by jazzbo

Is the Detroit Jazz Center Residency box still available? And are y'all getting these sets directly from Transparency, or through third-party vendors?

blake:

I'm with you, Disco 3000 is pure pleasure. I got my Horseshoe set yesterday and have been listening to it today. I think both the audio and musical quality are excellent. Lon is right, there is no book or song listing. But on the first three discs (as far as I've gotten) there are versions of (as best as I can tell):

Discipline 27

Calling Planet Earth

(a blistering) Take the "A" Train

Love in Outer Space

King Porter Stomp

I'll Wait for You

Stardust from Tomorrow

Springtime

Outerspaceways Inc.

We Travel the Spaceways

...among others

I particularly like Sonny's little snippet of "As Time Goes By" on a very stream of consciousness (but then what Ra isn't) "I'll Wait for You". The band personnel seems pretty standard for the time: Gilmore, Allen, Thompson, Michael Ray, June Tyson, Eloe Omoe. Luqman Ali, etc. with a conga player. There's a really nice vibe on these discs: joyful, relaxed, fun. I've really enjoyed what I've listened to so far...

I ordered this directly from Transparency. I also ordered the Detroit set from them as well, almost a month ago now, but haven't received it. I emailed Michael to check on the status of that but never got a response. The few people I've spoken to about it seem to think there was some kind of production glitch in the second batch of the 28-cdr set and that more are coming soon. Chuck at DMG said they are supposed to get a bunch more. If anyone has any more info on this, please post.

Best,

Tony

What do you think is the best Transparency release? What about this?

511w6zA4BpL._AA240_.jpg

I found this one used a couple of weeks ago. I like it. Supposedly the tapes were mis-labled as a concert in Mexico in '74, but they are actually rehearsal tapes. By and large the music is intereseting, but there is the occasional tuning, talking and stopping mid-song, but there are several instances where the tunes will go on for 7-10 mins at a time. Not essential but worth it for a decent price. I think there are 4 or 5 2cd volumes in the series as of now.

What's the verdict on the legitimacy of the Lost Reel series? I ask because they've apparently been branded as boots and have popped up on at least one trading site.

My understanding is that the Transparency sets do pay royalties to Marshall Allen (and maybe others). Not sure about the Lost Reel series specifically.

But my take on these issues of legitimacy is this: First is __________(insert title here) available from another, "legitimate" source. In the case of some of our Andorran friends' work the answer is yes and I try to seek out other, proper releases. Second, is there a reasonable chance __________(insert title here) will/might otherwise be released. Now that we're down to almost one record company the answer to that question is increasingly no. In those cases, the music lover in me overpowers any other rational arguments and it becomes about the music -- listening to it, appreciating it, sharing it, having it out there for those few others who are also appreciating and listening. As unfair as it may be, it would seem better to have the music out there (even if no royalties are being paid) than to have the music not out there with still no royalties being paid. And maybe there is a kind of interest in the music that carries over into the enthusiasm for (and purchase of) those other "legitimate" releases by a particular artist.

Again, I don't say this is fair. The omniverse ain't fair. But I look at it this way, in the case of an outfit like Transparency, is this really a way to exploit or make a quick buck? Finding/remastering/packaging/selling obscure (even by Ra standards!) videos, music, concerts, lectures, etc. cannot be thought of as the road to riches. Be smarter to buy a bridge or start a war somewhere. This is material that would NEVER otherwise see the light of day. With the aforementioned Monolith Records Corp ascending this is only going to get worse. I think the guerilla (or gorilla, if you like) approach is going to be the way of the future for those of us who may be comfortable with MP3s but still need that physical object and nothing else will do. Yet one more way Sonny was light years ahead of the game...

And clifford, thanks for the kind words...

Good way to start off yr relationship with the board, in the Sun Ra thread!

One post in and you've already managed to do your part to stimulate the economy… OK, I was going to buy the Horseshoe set anyway but you did manage to further whet my appetite.

My understanding is that the Transparency sets do pay royalties to Marshall Allen (and maybe others). Not sure about the Lost Reel series specifically.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Transparency's CD-R sets were done in collaboration with Marshall Allen but maybe I'm thinking of the Art Yard re-issues instead. As for the Lost Reel series I really am just curious. If royalties are being paid to the El Saturn folks then I'll advise the trading site that has approved their distribution as boots that they need to remove them. If not, then let the downloaders eat cake. Either way it isn't likely to impact my decision to purchase any of these releases in the future.

Good way to start off yr relationship with the board, in the Sun Ra thread!

One post in and you've already managed to do your part to stimulate the economy… OK, I was going to buy the Horseshoe set anyway but you did manage to further whet my appetite.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Transparency's CD-R sets were done in collaboration with Marshall Allen but maybe I'm thinking of the Art Yard re-issues instead. As for the Lost Reel series I really am just curious. If royalties are being paid to the El Saturn folks then I'll advise the trading site that has approved their distribution as boots that they need to remove them. If not, then let the downloaders eat cake. Either way it isn't likely to impact my decision to purchase any of these releases in the future.

FWIW..... According to this site Transparency is NOT a bootleg outfit.....

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/sun-ra-o...1987/4180997442 (Scroll down to the bottom)

IMPORTANT NOTE: TRANSPARENCY works directly with the Arkestra's management, so a percentage from their DVD sales ACTUALLY GOES TO THE SUN-RA ARKESTRA, unlike many of the DVD providers of their material!

So I picked up the Freedom box set today and I am quite pleased that contrary to the Amazon reviews, the sound is of pretty decent quality. Needless to say the music is fantastic. I really find Sun Ra's transitional music of the mid to late '60- early '70's pretty interesting. FWIW, I did not know that Pat Patrick doubled on electric bass, at least that's what the liners say for the 12/71 set.

post-5045-1201837924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holy Ghost

Sound Sun Pleasure

Holiday for Soul Dance

Super-Sonic Jazz

Jazz In Silhouette

Languidity

Greatest Hits

Stay Awake - "pink elephants..."

Question: The tune "Where Pathways Meet" on Languidity seems the odd duck of the Sun Ra I own and I dig dat duck. Any recs as to cuts or albums that have the overt skwank and funk reminiscent of them elephants enjoying a slurp at a late night watering hole? Seems I'm missing some essential mid seventies for this sound.

That's a great song, one of my favourites too. An album that really grooves is "On Jupiter". It will be released by ArtYard in a 2 CD-version:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=dwr...ef=upcoming.php

Now it's available on vinyl:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=37847

And that "Intergalactic Motion" on this set(also on the previously mentioned 3 disc set) is a real groover!

31JN7Zc0azL._AA240_.jpg

So I picked up the Freedom box set today and I am quite pleased that contrary to the Amazon reviews, the sound is of pretty decent quality. Needless to say the music is fantastic. I really find Sun Ra's transitional music of the mid to late '60- early '70's pretty interesting. FWIW, I did not know that Pat Patrick doubled on electric bass, at least that's what the liners say for the 12/71 set.

Good move, Ghost. SONG OF THE SPARER on the first disc is a real favorite of mine...

not trying to cause trouble, but is there anyone else here who, when listening to Sun Ra, after, say, 1965, can almost never get through an entire track?

my mind wanders to another place, let us say, as I listen (to the land of boredom?) - love his piano playing, by the way, and have the Bley-produced solo album -