• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Milt-Jackson-At-the-Kosei-Mank-404928.jpg

Wonderful session!!!

So is vol 2, 'Centerpiece at the Kosei Nenkin'

Reading the Vocalion thread about British reissues put me in mind to play this, by some old friends from the Sussex jazz scene

2021.jpg

Benny Simkins - Linger awhile - Flyright

then

Ernest Franklin - Nobody but you, Lord/Sermonette - Jewel

Sermonette is the Adderley Brothers song.

MG

1036495716.jpg

1959/1961 sessions (produced by Herb Abramson...was this material ever released before this?). Used to like all of this type stuff, now like just some.

Interesting is the frequent use of James Moody & orchestra, written (and tuned) to resemble the Ray Charles group of the time.

E00000089.jpg

Eddie does "Bitches Brew", "Freedom Jazz Dance", Sly's "Thank You..." (as a tribute to all the beboppers?!?!?), as well as some of his usual bits, and...it's all good, because the rhythm section is totally locked into that late-60s/early 70s Newark-ish bag, meaning that...it's all good. Between Mickey Tucker & Eddie Gladden...life is sustained and nurtured.

Where does Eddie Jefferson fit into all this? It's his date, and he don't get in the way, which would be easy enough for a singer with less of a natural pocket to work out of.

Edit to add - Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!! Eddie Gladden!!!

Eddie Gladden!!!

Edited by JSngry

114144835.jpg

Not even Richie Cole nor Bob Porter's weirdass mix can fuck up the power of Mickey Tucker & Eddie Gladden! Not even nary a one bit!

And Rick Laird ain't Sam Jones, but he knows how to not make that a problem.

Eddie's lyrics have grown to often seem embarrassingly fanboyish to me, but his lyrics to "Ornithology" kinda crack me up, even with the weak payoff at the end:

Said all the dudes are standin' on the corner

A-waitin' for their chicks to get off their slave

So they can holler whatcha' know babe

I've got a Cadillac if you want to ride

Hey, you would look real pretty by my side

I'll take you where you want to go

As long as you have got the bread

There's nothing more that need be said

So run across the street and cash your paycheck

And I'll be waitin' here 'til you make it back

I couldn't move if I wanted to

I'm out of gas and babe it's up to you

Bebop and swingin's all I ever do

Except for maybe lovin' you

And Ornithology's my tune

Also kind of...uncomfortable to hear Eddie singing they lyrics of "Zap! Carnivorous!", dealing as they do about fearing for one's life in an environment of urban crime, but....Mickey Tucker & Eddie Gladden!

jeffer_eddi_liveliest_101b.jpg

All these years, I remember Eddie Jefferson being a staple of AM jazz radio in this area (and he certainly was), and I remember really digging Eddie Jefferson (and I still do, more or less), but what I didn't realize was that I was really digging was Mickey Tucker and Eddie Gladden.

Don't misunderstand, a singer without a deep groove could screw this groove up, it's happened too many times in too many places, so still full kudos to EJ for being able to ride this groove the way he did. But also don't misunderstand - one helluva groove it is to begin with!

R-2936024-1308080048.jpeg

Interesting lineup, from 1972:

Kinda predictive of Jeffrey's arranging work for/with Mingus. Not a particularly badass album, but a document nevertheless.

1036495716.jpg

1959/1961 sessions (produced by Herb Abramson...was this material ever released before this?). Used to like all of this type stuff, now like just some.

Interesting is the frequent use of James Moody & orchestra, written (and tuned) to resemble the Ray Charles group of the time.

What do you mean by "and tuned" to resemble Charles' group?

The Ray Charles band of the time had a distinctive ensemble intonation, always a little sharper than the piano, although internally, I don't know if everybody tuned sharp. But it was a very distinctive sound that made those voicings speak in a unique way.

Hmm. Never noticed that before but then I haven't studied those records in depth and know the music only casually. But I'll ask Marcus Belgrave about this when I have the chance.

Since you are on an Eddie Jefferson kick, are you hip to this video made in Chicago just a few days before he was killed here in Detroit? Poor reproduction here, but a fantastic young accompanying trio -- pianist John Campbell, bassist Kelly Sill, drummer Joel Spencer. (All good friends of mine.) Eddie is out there ... sometimes I really dig it when it's focused; sometimes I think it's ridiculous. But it's something else, and that's usually worth celebrating.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6781312547407999306

Edited by Mark Stryker

The Ray Charles band of the time had a distinctive ensemble intonation, always a little sharper than the piano, although internally, I don't know if everybody tuned sharp. But it was a very distinctive sound that made those voicings speak in a unique way.

Hmm. Never noticed that before but then I haven't studied those records in depth and know the music only casually. But I'll ask Marcus Belgrave about this when I have the chance.

Since you are on an Eddie Jefferson kick, are you hip to this video made in Chicago just a few days before he was killed here in Detroit? Poor reproduction here, but a fantastic young accompanying trio -- pianist John Campbell, bassist Kelly Sill, drummer Joel Spencer. (All good friends of mine.) Eddie is out there ... sometimes I really dig it when it's focused; sometimes I think it's ridiculous. But it's something else, and that's usually worth celebrating.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6781312547407999306

Thanks for the video. I didn't know about the circumstances of Eddie Jefferson's death and found his Wikipedia entry interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Jefferson

Yeah, Eddie really was a part of the soundtrack of AM jazz radio here in the DFW area all throughout the 70s. Those Muse records always hit the air, frequently, and they always sounded good. You'd be driving along in your car, and this swingin'g mf-er comes on the radio with these hipass grooves (Tucker/Gladden!!!!) talking about this and that and it's all "about jazz" and, yeah, you drive a little more pleasantly, a little prouder, and a little happier. AM radio doing what AM radio did best. And still maybe what jazz did best. That kind of jazz anyway.

I've cooled a bit on the lyrics themself, but not on Eddie's spirit, which was certainly infectious, nor on his groove, which always pretty intense. And, much like Gene Ammons, he appears to have had an intensely loyal bond with his live audience. That's something I admire about anybody, especially now that, in terms of jazz, it's almost a vanished thing.

09992385362.jpg

Vonski

Got this second hand in '76. "Hey! That's George Freeman's brother! Must get it."

I wonder how many people got to Von through George?

MG

I actually came to Von first, although entirely by accident...there was a Sunday night AM jazz show out of Des Moines, Iowa that would fade in and out down in Texas, and one night they played "Portrait Of John Young". Fortunately, the signal was coming in instead of fading out, and fortunately it stayed in for the duration of the song and the back-announcing.

I was 16 or so, and to say that Von's tone caught my attention immediately and kept it forever after would be putting it mildly!

J.J.-Johnson-Dial-J.J.-5.jpg

Hello? J.J.? Hey, how goes it? Quick question for you if you got a sec...you do? Beautiful! Here it is...

Did Elvin ever not sound like Elvin?

Short answer: no. Folks who heard Elvin at the Blue Bird here in 52-53 say he basically already had his unique approach in embryo.

Edited by Mark Stryker