Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

zzjazztimeusathebesto_101b.jpg

Jazztime U.S.A. (MCA). Sides two & three, which are, of course, both on record two. (See JSngry's explanation above.) This record has 1952-53 live recordings by Hot Lips Page with the Marian McPartland Trio, Mary Lou Williams, Oscar Pettiford on cello with the Billy Taylor Trio, Terry Gibbs, Coleman Hawkins, Stuff Smith, and more.

Hot Lips Page is one of those musicians who just makes me feel good. I thought of The Magnificent Goldberg when his tracks were playing. Are you a Page fan, MG?

I'm going to be, but haven't got a round tuit yet.

round_tuit_mug_original.jpg

MG

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey and His Inter-Reformers Band (Obey/Decca (West Africa). For some reason, 1970s West African pressings rarely turn up at Half Price Books in Dallas, but this one did.

If it's on Obey, it's an eighties pressing. SOme LPs on Obey appear to have been original issues, but most bear the catalogue number of the original Decca release, but the Obey trademark.

Which have you got?

Here's a link to Obey's enormous discography.

http://biochem.chem.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~endo/EAObey.html

MG

The Ray Charles band of the time had a distinctive ensemble intonation, always a little sharper than the piano, although internally, I don't know if everybody tuned sharp. But it was a very distinctive sound that made those voicings speak in a unique way.

Hmm. Never noticed that before but then I haven't studied those records in depth and know the music only casually. But I'll ask Marcus Belgrave about this when I have the chance.

Well, according to Marcus, he was aware that the band played sharp in relation to the piano but it wasn't anything they consciously decided to do. He more or less thinks it was just an outgrowth of some of the lead players in the group and where they put the pitch and then everybody went with it. Once it ended up being part of the sound of the band, it kinda stuck. He did say, there was a point when the band was pretty loose about pitch and ensemble but he started bringing a tape recorder around to gigs and when the cats started hearing the nightly gig tapes, they tightened up quickly.

As I think about it, I wonder if the fact that the band typically played a 30-40 minute set before Ray would come out. Since that would have been without piano, perhaps that accounts for the pitch not centering on the piano as a guide. Marcus also said, Ray in those days typically started his part of the show by playing alto ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey and His Inter-Reformers Band (Obey/Decca (West Africa). For some reason, 1970s West African pressings rarely turn up at Half Price Books in Dallas, but this one did.

If it's on Obey, it's an eighties pressing. SOme LPs on Obey appear to have been original issues, but most bear the catalogue number of the original Decca release, but the Obey trademark.

Which have you got?

MG

It's this album: 1974

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey & His Inter-Reformers Band

Iwalka Ko Pe (Decca WAPS 218)

[A] Iwa Ika Ko Pe / Gbogbo Bi A Ti Nse / Maa Se Niso / Ninu Odun T'awa Yi Edumare Jeki A Lowo Lowo / Ori Mi Ma Jeki Nte

Motun Gboro Agba De / Imole De / Ilu Mi Ko Kere / Egba National Anthem / Lai Ku Ekiti / Jinadu Isale Eko / Eyo O

It is on Obey and has the designation WAPS 218, so it must be the reissue. The vinyl is in near mint (or close to it) condition. The address below the trademark photo is 7A, Shipeolu Street, Onipanu Palmgrove, Lagos, Nigeria.

61pRhBu6gpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

George Shearing - The Shearing Spell (Capitol). Maybe all the talk around here today of easy-listening Shearing affected me. And after two gigs and a rehearsal yesterday, I'm beat today. At this point in the evening I find that I no longer have much ability to actively listen to music - so time to let some music wash over me. It sounds pretty good to my tired brain.

41j2BY8BzuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This afternoon:

Cootie Williams - Original Hit Recordings (Phoenix). That's "Hit" as in the 1940s record lable. Young Bud Powell is pretty amazing on "Floogie Boo" and "My Old Flame."

A WONDERFUL LP!! Cleanhead and Jaws are fabulous on it, too.

And 'Hit' as in hit record, too. "(Cherry) Red blues" spent 9 months on the R&B top 15. "Somebody's gotta go", the A side of "Round midnight" made #1 on the R&B chart. "Is you is, or is you ain't" was a smaller hit, too.

MG

Which have you got?

MG

It's this album: 1974

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey & His Inter-Reformers Band

Iwalka Ko Pe (Decca WAPS 218)

[A] Iwa Ika Ko Pe / Gbogbo Bi A Ti Nse / Maa Se Niso / Ninu Odun T'awa Yi Edumare Jeki A Lowo Lowo / Ori Mi Ma Jeki Nte

Motun Gboro Agba De / Imole De / Ilu Mi Ko Kere / Egba National Anthem / Lai Ku Ekiti / Jinadu Isale Eko / Eyo O

It is on Obey and has the designation WAPS 218, so it must be the reissue. The vinyl is in near mint (or close to it) condition. The address below the trademark photo is 7A, Shipeolu Street, Onipanu Palmgrove, Lagos, Nigeria.

Nice find! West African LPs in that condition are very hard to come by.

MG