Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23752.jpg

Harold Vick- Straight Up (RCA Victor) stereo DG- pretty different from Steppin Out. As the title suggests it's a more mainstream date but it's not too smooth despite there being two Bossa tracks. Vick probably ought to be better known. Here he sounds as if Dexter's playing influenced him a fair bit.

Pepper Adams & Barry Altschul 'Be-Bop?' (Musica)

113892475.jpg

not your average Pepper Adams session, pretty energetic with Altschul moving things round nicely. Pianist Siegfried Kessler is excellent

I've been trying to find an affordable copy of this LP for years and years. They rarely show up, especially on this side of the pond.

Pepper Adams & Barry Altschul 'Be-Bop?' (Musica)

113892475.jpg

not your average Pepper Adams session, pretty energetic with Altschul moving things round nicely. Pianist Siegfried Kessler is excellent

I've been trying to find an affordable copy of this LP for years and years. They rarely show up, especially on this side of the pond.

I didn't realise this was uncommon, got mine for £8 - it arrived yesterday :)

Edited by Clunky

Think I paid about $20 for it from Dusty.

I just had some bad luck with grading from Dusty. An LP they graded as "Very Good" came in with both sides having rice crispies throughout & had several large, visible scratches that showed up as clicks and pops, some of them very heavy. I'll be a little less likely to use them for used vinyl in the future. I've had better luck with Euclid.

Let me know if you want to sell it someday. :)

I just had some bad luck with grading from Dusty. An LP they graded as "Very Good" came in with both sides having rice crispies throughout & had several large, visible scratches that showed up as clicks and pops, some of them very heavy. I'll be a little less likely to use them for used vinyl in the future.

If you're looking for something besides a play-for-fun copy ( I mean, $4.99 for some 30-35 minute pretty-good-at-best LP vs 3X more for a CD, yeah, I'll accept some "listening artifacts" :g), never buy anything from them that is not rated Very Good + or higher, and do know that the older the record is, the more liberal they are with the +.

As with their delightfully hyperbolic reviews, their grading system speaks a language all its own, and you gotta know what they're really saying in order to understand what they really mean.

I just had some bad luck with grading from Dusty. An LP they graded as "Very Good" came in with both sides having rice crispies throughout & had several large, visible scratches that showed up as clicks and pops, some of them very heavy. I'll be a little less likely to use them for used vinyl in the future. I've had better luck with Euclid.

Let me know if you want to sell it someday. :)

Yeah, I avoid "VG" like the plague. VG+ has generally been okay with them, as has NM-. Who knows, if I ever have a massive sell-off I'll let you know! I believe they graded it "VG+" and it's easily that, if not better (and I'm very, very anal about condition).

stankenton-artistryinrhthm.jpg

In full glorious electronically rechanneled DUOPHONIC sound, the same way it was when I bought it when I was 15, the same way it was when I sold it when I was 24, and the same way it is now that I've bought another copy 31 years later.

DUOPHONIC!

51KmfqQnTtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Need some deep blues tonight:

Okeh Chicago Blues (Epic); disc two. One side has the first commercial recordings of Johnny Shines and Muddy Waters, from 1946, but not released until this 1982 album. The other side is a great 1947 session by Big Joe Williams, with Sonny Boy #1 on harp.

093830.jpg

Bud Powells (sic) Moods (Verve Japan)

Bud...So much feeling in his music.

I wouldn't mind having Bud's "It Never Entered My Mind" played at my funeral. It sounds like a hymn to me.

Bud's "It Never Entered My Mind" is astonishing. For me it's one of the most moving jazz performances I know.