Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51rcTOVhfOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sammy Duncan and the Atlanta Jazzmen (Down Home Cookin'). The original issue of a 1976 album by the cream of Atlanta's once-thriving Dixieland scene. It's been reissued by Jazzology - their cover, shown above, is similar to the original, but not exactly the same.

The pictures of the guys on the back cover look like, well, 120 miles of bad road. The music is good, competent Dixieland, and clarinetist Herman Foretich is a couple of steps above that - he was really good.

I never played with Herman, but as a young man I did a few gigs with the drummer, Spider Ridgeway, who was every bit as scary-looking in person as he appears on the back cover.

Dave Tarras/Abe Ellstein - Jewish Melodies (Period). One of those great 50s/60s small-label Dave Tarras albums; can't find the cover online anywhere. Son-in-law Sam Musiker is on tenor sax, and there's a great version of "Second Avenue Square Dance." I always thought that Tarras wrote that one, but it's credited to Ellstein - I guess I just never noticed.

Edited by jeffcrom

087708.jpg

Saxes, Inc. (Warner Bros. stereo). From 1959 - Bob Prince charts for 12 saxes (13 when Coleman Hawkins is added), including Phil & Quill, Al & Zoot, Herb Geller, and Hal McKusick. Lots of fun, except that most of the solos are kept very short, except those by Hawk and a couple by George Auld.

032355.jpg

Anthony Braxton - For Trio (Arista)

When this album came out in 1978, it quickly became one of my favorite records. Then, as I started exploring Stockhausen's music, For Trio began to seem kind of derivative to me. Now I think I've come out on the other side. Yes, For Trio is influenced (perhaps in fairly superficial ways) by Stockhausen pieces like "Zyklus" and especially "Refrain," but it ends up occupying a very different space than those pieces - perhaps due in part to Braxton's jazz background.

And the passage played by Roscoe Mitchell and Joseph Jarman on bass saxes and Braxton on contrabass sax just flat-out kicks ass.