Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

170569.jpg

Lionel Hampton meets early/mid 1970s Chicago R&B tracks (presumably assembled by Willie Henderson?). Lionel Hampton sounds perfectly at home and totally like Lionel Hampton.

Has this ever not been the case?

I nearly bought that when it came out, but the guy in the shop was such a hard-sell guy that I refused to buy anything from him. Oh well... Glad one copy has found a good home.

MG

170569.jpg

Lionel Hampton meets early/mid 1970s Chicago R&B tracks (presumably assembled by Willie Henderson?). Lionel Hampton sounds perfectly at home and totally like Lionel Hampton.

I nearly bought that when it came out, but the guy in the shop was such a hard-sell guy that I refused to buy anything from him. Oh well... Glad one copy has found a good home.

MG

New reissue copy available here: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=6d2qk3g5fj&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dlionel%2Bhampton%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

That's where I got mine.

%21Bb%21Ul%21Q%212k%7E%24%28KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlzKDlBKt9ZvbDiQ%7E%7E_35.JPG

Lione Hampton - Made In Japan (Glad Hamp)

Big band including - and featuring - Thomas Chapin, Paul Jeffrey, Ricky Ford, Glen Wilson, Barry Ries, Johnny Walker, John Gordon, Todd Coolman, and many others, none of whom play guitar or are named Billy Mackel.

Tunes include James Williams' "Minor Thesis" Gig Gryce's "Sans Souci", Ricky Ford's "Interpretation, Opus 5", as well as "Jodo", Evidence", and one Johnny Walker original called "Advent".

Apparently this one has also seen issue on Timeless, so interested parties could probably find it without too much trouble? I'd rate it not quite as fascinating a document of Hamp playing "contemporary" material as the Timeless date where he plays "Lazy Bird" & "Moment's Notice", but the band is better here and the other soloists get a lot more space here than there. Still nothing really "essential", but that's certainly not a knock.

The band sounds nice, tight, and modern. Lionel Hampton again sounds perfectly at home and totally like Lionel Hampton.

Has this ever not been the case? I keep waiting for it to be, but I don't know that I'll live that long..

Edited by JSngry

170569.jpg

MG

New reissue copy available here: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=6d2qk3g5fj&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dlionel%2Bhampton%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

That's where I got mine.

Thanks Jim - got it.

This evening's vinyl

James%2BBrown%2B(1963)%2B-%2BPrisoner%2BOf%2BLove.jpg

James Brown - Prisoner of love - King (Polydor France)

0000791690_350.jpg

Florida Mass Choir - Live in Miami - Malaco - now on disc 2

next

115049106.jpg

Melvin Sparks - Sparkling - Muse

MG

Today's vinyl started off with two that the happy postman brought this morning

!B1B3RF!!2k~%24(KGrHqV,!jME)pbmFsUGBMcyjqJV,g~~_3.JPG

Al Grey - Shades of grey - Tangerine

%24(KGrHqZ,!jQE4pImgIiUBOL,vBgGRQ~~0_3.JPG

Al Grey - Struttin' and shoutin' - Columbia

Then continued with some gospel and not quite gospel

bass_martha_itsanothe_101b.jpg

Martha Bass - It's another day's journey - Checker

IMG_4618_edited.jpg

Charles Kynard - Where it's at - Pacific Jazz

(Side 1 is all gospel tunes)

0cefca57-ee01-4926-b3cc-02de9865458f-0.JPG

Dixie Hummingbirds - Ye shall know the truth - Peacock (MCA)

MG

the-last-medicine-show.jpg

Peg Leg Sam & Chief Thundercloud: The Last Medicine Show (Flyright 2 LPs)

A fascinating document which probably sold a handful of copies and will probably never be reissued.

I love Peg Leg Sam, so I hope you're wrong about the reissue, since I don't have a copy.

Now playing:

davis.JPG

Richard Davis - Fancy Free (Galaxy). OK. Davis is one of my favorite bassists, but his own albums are often kind of disappointing.

Edited to say that I shouldn't whine, since Joe Henderson absolutely smokes on this record.

Edited by jeffcrom

511lLkb4YYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

R-2630735-1294092204.jpeg

Ok, let's pretend that there were Frankenstein Olympics and the first even was the 100 yard (sic) dash (sic). Now let's pretend that all the Frankensteins were in their set position, the gun is sounded, and OFF THEY GO. Oh, the lunging! Oh, the stumbling-yet-not-quite-falling-down of all the Frankensteins as they tried to stay in the pocket necessary for a good run while at the same time feeling their overwhelmingly natural urges to get all Frankensteiny about the act of sprinting. Oh, the gutteral grunting as the lactic acid challenges their will!

And just for fun, imagine asking yourself why this is all happening, and who thought it would be a good idea to put money into it, and, especially, why is it being recorded for posterity.

Now, imagine a band with a three horn front line of trombone, bass trumpet, and (mostly) bari sax whose collective time feel sounds like all that sounds.Especially on solos.

Well, guess what? You don't have to imagine!

You'll come for getting both records for a combined $1.50, but you'll stay for the rhythmic spectacle that is The Frankenstein Olympics.

But not for long.

Edited by JSngry