• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The-Hour-Glass-The-Hour-Glass-19-346969.jpgHumilityFT.jpg

Two very different hunks of vinyl:

The Hour Glass - Power of Love, from the 1967-1969 double LP reissue (UA). For those who are unsure, this was Duane and Gregg Allman's band before the ABB. Power of Love was recorded only a year and a half earlier than The Allman Brothers Band, but is worlds away. A few nice moments, though - I spin this one every once in awhile.

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre - Humility in the Light of the Creator (Delmark)

Edited by jeffcrom

51Xv33JArCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lionel Hampton - Made in Japan (Timeless). I found a copy just a couple of days after JSngry posted about it. Incidentally, I have an autographed 45 RPM single of "Advent" (edited) on the Glad-Hamp label. I don't remember what's on the other side right now, and I'm too lazy to pull my jazz 45 box off the shelf, but I think the flip side was a studio recording, not another piece from this concert.

live_at_jilly%27s_Chiles%2B%2526%2BPettiford_mybrownbaby.jpg

A Trenier-ish piano/bass trio with Al Harewood on drums, whose presence answers the question,"how DO jazz musicians make a living?"

A family remembrance from the daughter son of Mr. Chiles can be found here: http://mybrownbaby.b...ny-rollins.html

Those who get pissed off about historical inaccuracies daring to be served up in family remembrnces, just...stay away. But it's kinda nice to find out what happened to at least one half of this duo, just because, ya' know, there's a lot of people go into the factory, and more often than not, you never hear how they end up, or even if they make it out.

Edited by JSngry

cover%2Bb.jpg

Tony Scott - Boomerang

Tony Scott playing with a Czech Trad band in 1977 (yes, there's banjo, and yes, the "swing" is more often than not indeed "swing", although sincerity of intent is never an issue). There's more than a few moments where Scott channels the spirit of Lester Young in his phrasing unlike I've ever heard anybody else do it...eerie. Then there's times when he applies his more extreme clarinet techniques to the tenor and sounds not too unlike Albert Ayler taking over the body of Bud Freeman...equally eerie.

All in all, it's a curiosity, albeit a weirdly fun one. I got mine for forty-nine cents, and would gladly have paid 10x that for it.