• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing:

reece_dizzy_bluesintr_102b.jpg

Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity (BN reissue)

Recorded in Paris, which I suppose explains the lack of the usual Blue Note sound balance, even though according to the notes RVG was on hand. Wonderful music, though.

Now playing:

reece_dizzy_bluesintr_102b.jpg

Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity (BN reissue)

Recorded in Paris, which I suppose explains the lack of the usual Blue Note sound balance, even though according to the notes RVG was on hand. Wonderful music, though.

I thought Rudy re-recorded it when the tapes got back to the states? No idea what "re-recorded" means though.

What are those Mike Taylor records like? Have they been reissued on cd?

Clifford ... What's the "overhang party" like? Is it well recorded? I have the NORD duo lp on ALM.

The Takagi disc is great....don't have the original(yet haha) but have a pristine copy sourced from an audiophile so I presume it sounds even better then the PJL cd which Ive read has some mastering issues...

Last night I played "distant voices" by Steve Lacy...my own personal holy grail quest ended very recently when I finally got ahold of an original vinyl of this :)

Sidewinder I love so many of those lansdowne sessions...Denis Preston was a genius..they all sound so great! Can't afford "shades of blue" right now but do have the other 4 rendell/carrs although my "dusk fire" is a Japanese issue in stereo(!). "hum dono" is also a bit out of my range at the moment but I am fortunate enough to have "integration" which to my ears is actually the better of the two...

Would love to hear your thoughts on those mike Taylor records...

Yeah, the Mike Taylor records are great. Both are on CD - the Trio on Giles Peterson's Impressed:Repressed and Pendulum on Sunbeam. The latter reminds me of early Cecil crossed with Andrew Hill. Trio is a little harder to define, more atmospherically knotty in my estimation, if that makes any sense. If my CDs weren't mostly in storage I'd throw these on tonight...

Overhang Party is well recorded. I actually have two LP copies though the second is a little crackly in places for some odd reason (looks M-). It's really weird! Abe plays guitar, harmonica and piano as well as reeds, all in a rather unhinged manner. Indeed, Mosura Freight is a heavy disc. I have a pretty much "as new" record and it sounds really good. I saw Mats Gustafsson was repping it on his website, which makes sense as parts of it are definitely rather "Thing"-like, at least in my experience of their concerts.

Distant Voices is pretty neat - I have it on CD. There's a funny story around a copy of that LP I'll have to share sometime...

Sidewinder I love so many of those lansdowne sessions...Denis Preston was a genius..they all sound so great! Can't afford "shades of blue" right now but do have the other 4 rendell/carrs although my "dusk fire" is a Japanese issue in stereo(!). "hum dono" is also a bit out of my range at the moment but I am fortunate enough to have "integration" which to my ears is actually the better of the two...

Would love to hear your thoughts on those mike Taylor records...

Both of them are really great. Hard to choose between them to be honest - 'Pendulum' has that fine, quirky reed work by Dave Tomlin whereas 'Trio' has an incredible atmospheric feel of great concentration on tracks like 'Abena'. It was not for nothing that they opened the 2005 'Jazz Britannia' concert at The Barbican with that very number - played solo by Matthew Bourne - and played pretty well verbatim. It stunned the house (well - it stunned me, for sure).

As for parallels - I think Jan Johansson in Sweden was covering similar ground - possibly with more of a 'folk' angle. The Nordic connection is an interesting one ! 'Atmospherically knotty' - spot on, Clifford !

The one album major Lansdowne I don't have and am looking for is Amancio D'Silva 'Integration' :) (although I have it on CD - if you see a nice copy let me know). Have all of the Rendell/Carrs and 'Hum Dono' on LP, although the vinyl on my 'Shades of Blue' is far from mint. It's a beautiful album though and fortunately the sleeve is immaculate. I just need a mint LP with a gash sleeve now..

Edited by sidewinder

Do share! I've had both CD issues and have been after the LP for many, many years. Once passed on a nice copy for $250 around 10 years ago because at the time money was a lot tighter. Had to pretty much pay more then double for the copy I have now but that's how it goes... It's a meeting between two of my favorite musicians from different musical realms...

I'll hunt down those mike Taylor CDs...

Thanks sidewinder...

Bill - that's a myth ! It was recorded by Tony Hall at Decca studio used by Tempo (CTS Wembley, I suspect...)

Do share! I've had both CD issues and have been after the LP for many, many years. Once passed on a nice copy for $250 around 10 years ago because at the time money was a lot tighter. Had to pretty much pay more then double for the copy I have now but that's how it goes... It's a meeting between two of my favorite musicians from different musical realms...

I'll hunt down those mike Taylor CDs...

Thanks sidewinder...

$250 for 'Shades of Blue' (or either of the Mike Taylors) would be a bargain. 'Shades' goes for upwards of $1k now.

evans_gil~~_parabola~_101b.jpg

Gil Evans - Parabola (Horo); sides one and four. What I've always loved about this album (and the bootleg record from the same tour), besides the great solos, is the level of imagination Evans reached in scoring for just four horns (Lew Soloff, Earl McIntyre, Steve Lacy, and Arthur Blythe). On "Up From the Skies," he gives the alto sax the lead, with the trombone up high, the soprano sax low, and the trumpet as the lowest voice, in its absolute lowest register. It's a striking, unique sound.

Capers.jpg

Steve Lacy - Capers (Hat Hut), record one.

Then celebrated Sun Ra Arrival Day with some Saturn vinyl. (Now follow closely here):

"Hiroshima," an amazing organ solo recorded on the huge Fox Theater organ right here in Atlanta. This is side two of Saturn 10-11-85, Stars That Shine Darkly. My copy is in a plain white sleeve, with handwritten labels. Part one of the title tune is on the other side; part two of "Stars That Shine Darkly" was issued on another album. Except that:

Sun Ra collectors are familiar with Saturn "hybrid" pressings, which pair side one from one album with side two from another. So now I'm spinning a hybrid Saturn which makes more sense than the original issues - it's "Stars That Shine Darkly" by the Sun Ra All Stars, with part one on one side and part two on the other - in a Ra to the Rescue sleeve!