Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the_all-star_marching_band-new_orleans_p

The All-Star Marching Band - New Orleans Parade (Dixieland Jubilee/GNP Crescendo). The unpromising band name was given to 1978 pick-up recording band, but it's a pretty glorious ensemble. I don't know know how many of the names would be familiar to most people here, but they were, young or old, New Orleans brass band veterans, and they play fabulously together.

hurricanemb-lp.JPG

Leroy Jones and His Hurricane Marching Brass Band of New Orleans (LoAn). Had the urge to spin this one after the last brass band LP. This is a rare album, and a pretty amazing musical document. The band is basically Danny Barker's Fairview Baptist Church Brass Band (which started the New Orleans brass band revival several years before the Dirty Dozen) after Danny stepped back and Leroy Jones took over the leadership. This is the (1975) recording debut of Leroy Jones, Gregg Stafford, Darryl Adams, and Tuba Fats, among others. Most of the tunes are traditional, but the beat is funkier, the ensemble is more riff-oriented, and it's just raw and full of youthful energy. A wonderful thing.

Edited by jeffcrom

Reverend Edmond Blair - I Don't Need No Doctor (Nashboro). Couldn't find a picture online. I hadn't listened to a sermon record for awhile; this 1967 sermon was a stunningly timed performance.

While searching for a picture, I found a Jet magazine column with the information that Rev. Blair was found in his car, dead from a gunshot wound to the head, on the southwest side of Chicago in 1980.

The_High_And_Mighty_Hawk.jpg

Coleman Hawkins - The High and Mighty Hawk (Felsted stereo). Put on the turntable before I saw that The Magnificent Goldberg was listening to the new box set containing this album. On this spin I really noticed how locked in and intense the rhythm team of Ray Brown and Mickey Sheen is.