What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Affinity was certainly a cheap label but it would be quite wrong to say they all sound poor. I've a number of examples which sound very good with very quiet surfaces. Material culled from Vee Jay, Bethlehem, BYG etc. Crap covers with nasty cover "art" but often with a thoughtful essay by Brian Priestly.

Clunky, I`ve edit my post.

Cool, I'd only add that they're worth going for to hear the music for not much money ( up to £4)

• Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul that's a great Marion Brown/Mal Waldron album...I should pull that out myself to play again.

Clifford how would you compare that Braxton to the other one on BYG? I have that one but for some reason never did get around to buying "this time"...is it drastically different?

Tonight's playlist:

Terumasa Hino "taro's mood" (Japanese enja/victor)

Dave Liebman "first visit" (Philips, Japan)

Alexander Von Schlippenbach "the living music" (Germany, quasar)

blue_bogey.jpg

Blue Bogey by Wilton "Bogey" Gaynair

Japanese reissue by Atelier Sawano ( very, very good fidelity )

That one (like all of the Sawanos - including the ones by Tubby Hayes) sounds great. The best way to hear those Tempos that is out there !

Edited by sidewinder

blue_bogey.jpg

That one (like all of the Sawanos - including the ones by Tubby Hayes) sounds great. The best way to hear those Tempos that is out there !

I agree on that and a much more cheaper way to buy these albums. ;)

blue_bogey.jpg

I agree on that and a much more cheaper way to buy these albums. ;)

The original Tempos sound better - but we don't want to go there. The Sawanos are more than good enough !

Clifford how would you compare that Braxton to the other one on BYG? I have that one but for some reason never did get around to buying "this time"...is it drastically different?

Homefromtheforest, it was me that posted the Braxton - unfortunately I don't have the other BYG to compare but "This time..." is very strong - a nice contrast between the two sides between two long compositions and a selection of great short compostions which even had me thinking that they sounded like early distant relatives of Ghost Trance Music. I can't see anyone who enjoys Braxton of that vintage not liking this.

I suspect Clifford will indeed be able to make a comparison between the two as may other Braxtonphiles amongst us

_lmusby_1325176430full.jpg

Ornette Coleman - Live In Beograd !

2011. Pressed on a clear yellow vinyl housed in a clear plastic sleeve with black lettering and limited to 500 :shrug[1]: copies, this record presents Ornette's classic quartet recorded live in ex Yugoslavia.

I'm intrigued, how does it sound?

Homefromtheforest, it was me that posted the Braxton - unfortunately I don't have the other BYG to compare but "This time..." is very strong - a nice contrast between the two sides between two long compositions and a selection of great short compostions which even had me thinking that they sounded like early distant relatives of Ghost Trance Music. I can't see anyone who enjoys Braxton of that vintage not liking this.

I agree, the short compositions and the one solo vocal piece are really interesting. The long form pieces on both LPs are really nice - McCall is a great addition to the core trio - and there are some beautiful melodies on Actuel 15 (the other LP). I think the music is pretty accessible, actually, though the BYG pressings don't do it any service.

Arman Ratip 'The Spy From Istanbul' (Regal Zonophone)

150772800127.jpg

Free session from 1973 by the Turkish pianist, with Marc Charig and Harry Miller.

Wow, never seen or heard of that!

Talking of Charig, does anyone know Charig/Fisher/Floridis ‎– Amore [jnd]?