• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was reading the thread here on the board about the new BN LT CD reissues (already seemed to have disappeared from the usual sources) and thought I'd give one of the original LPs from that series a spin. I think I have most of them but would be curious to compare one of the CD reissues to the LP. This one has fluff-less liner notes from our own Larry Kart.

Jackie McLean - CONSEQUENCE

mclean_jack_consequen_102b.jpg

615IsimilML._SL500_AA280_.jpg$%28KGrHqIOKo0E5kdoV3OUBOntNsYR%29g~~60_

Last night, back to back:

Paul Bley - Solemn Meditation (GNP Crescendo)

Ornette Coleman - Coleman Classics 1 (Improvising Artists).

The latter is really by the Paul Bley Quintet, of course, with Ornette and Don Cherry, recorded at the Hillcrest Club, about six months after the GNP Crescendo date. Solemn Meditation seemed pretty good until I played the Hillcrest record - it's on another level.

For anyone who hasn't read this interview of Bley by Bill Smith, here's the part that describes how the Hillcrest date came about; it always makes me smile:

The Hillcrest Club was a club on Washington Boulevard, which is in the black section of Los Angeles, right in the middle of it. That area had a tradition of live performance. Les McCann played our Monday night jam sessions. When I arrived in Los Angeles after along college tour with a trio that I brought from New York we added the vibraphone player, Dave Pike, and went into the Hillcrest Club and stayed roughly close to two years; six nights a week. (This is the band that made the record Solemn Meditation - Gene Norman GNP 31). And over that period of time some of the players went back east and were replaced. Billy Higgins replaced Lennie McBrowne, Charlie Haden replaced Hal Gaylor, the Montreal bassist.

One night Billy Higgins said, “a friend of mine, Don Cherry, brought a saxophone player and wants to sit in”. I normally never let anybody sit in, we sent them all to Monday night and gave them to Les McCann, but because it was somebody in the band and they almost never made any recommendations for somebody to sit in we said “no problem”. After playing one set with them Charlie and I went out in the back yard and had a confrontation. We said. “Look, we have been working in this club for a long time and most probably could stay here as long as we wanted. If we fire Dave Pike and hire Don and Ornette we won’t last the week. We’ll be lucky to last the night. What shall we do?” And we looked at each other and said — “Fire Dave Pike!”

615IsimilML._SL500_AA280_.jpg$%28KGrHqIOKo0E5kdoV3OUBOntNsYR%29g~~60_

Last night, back to back:

Paul Bley - Solemn Meditation (GNP Crescendo)

Ornette Coleman - Coleman Classics 1 (Improvising Artists).

The latter is really by the Paul Bley Quintet, of course, with Ornette and Don Cherry, recorded at the Hillcrest Club, about six months after the GNP Crescendo date. Solemn Meditation seemed pretty good until I played the Hillcrest record - it's on another level.

For anyone who hasn't read this interview of Bley by Bill Smith, here's the part that describes how the Hillcrest date came about; it always makes me smile:

The Hillcrest Club was a club on Washington Boulevard, which is in the black section of Los Angeles, right in the middle of it. That area had a tradition of live performance. Les McCann played our Monday night jam sessions. When I arrived in Los Angeles after along college tour with a trio that I brought from New York we added the vibraphone player, Dave Pike, and went into the Hillcrest Club and stayed roughly close to two years; six nights a week. (This is the band that made the record Solemn Meditation - Gene Norman GNP 31). And over that period of time some of the players went back east and were replaced. Billy Higgins replaced Lennie McBrowne, Charlie Haden replaced Hal Gaylor, the Montreal bassist.

One night Billy Higgins said, “a friend of mine, Don Cherry, brought a saxophone player and wants to sit in”. I normally never let anybody sit in, we sent them all to Monday night and gave them to Les McCann, but because it was somebody in the band and they almost never made any recommendations for somebody to sit in we said “no problem”. After playing one set with them Charlie and I went out in the back yard and had a confrontation. We said. “Look, we have been working in this club for a long time and most probably could stay here as long as we wanted. If we fire Dave Pike and hire Don and Ornette we won’t last the week. We’ll be lucky to last the night. What shall we do?” And we looked at each other and said — “Fire Dave Pike!”

Great story! This is the version I have, which I think is the same as the "Coleman Classics 1" (which I have not seen previously).

260856399147.jpg

On the America label. Performed at the Hillcrest Club, Los Angeles, 1958.

Great story! This is the version I have, which I think is the same as the "Coleman Classics 1" (which I have not seen previously).

260856399147.jpg

It's from the same Hillcrest performances, but it's different material. The America material came out in the US on Inner City as Live at the Hillcrest Club 1958, credited to Coleman, but Bley put out other performances on his own Improvising Artists label as Coleman Classics 1. (There was never a volume 2.) I'm not even going to look, but I'll bet the one of the public-domain labels has a "Complete Hillcrest Club" CD.

Edited by jeffcrom

260856399147.jpg

It's from the same Hillcrest performances, but it's different material. The America material came out in the US on Inner City as Live at the Hillcrest Club 1958, credited to Coleman, but Bley put out other performances on his own Improvising Artists label as Coleman Classics 1. (There was never a volume 2.) I'm not even going to look, but I'll bet the one of the public-domain labels has a "Complete Hillcrest Club" CD.

I also thought they were the same - oh well, there's another one for the ever lengthening 'wants list'.

Thanks for posting the extract, Jeffcrom - made me laugh

now playing - Bill Smith 'Pick a Number' [Onari]

PICK-A-NUMBER-COVER.jpg

260856399147.jpg

I also thought they were the same - oh well, there's another one for the ever lengthening 'wants list'.

Thanks for posting the extract, Jeffcrom - made me laugh

now playing - Bill Smith 'Pick a Number' [Onari]

PICK-A-NUMBER-COVER.jpg

Learn something every day! I have to say that I like the cover on the America session more, but I'll keep an eye out for "Coleman Classics 1." It would be great to play them back to back and see how the session(s) shape up).

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Ovcacikova-Hlobilova-Wysoczanska-Chalabala/dp/B0007VY5JE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385397998&sr=1-3&keywords=rusalka+chalabala

A magical performance. Bought it (original LPs) on Friday at an estate sale. There seem to be a lot of those these days near where I live. I find them to be rather creepy but also hard to resist -- this ever since I stopped by one this summer and bought two fantastic Tim Horton coffee mugs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tim-Hortons-Restaurant-Mug-Gold-and-Cream-No-number-on-bottom-EUC-/221321911388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3387d05c5c

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Ovcacikova-Hlobilova-Wysoczanska-Chalabala/dp/B0007VY5JE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385397998&sr=1-3&keywords=rusalka+chalabala

A magical performance. Bought it (original LPs) on Friday at an estate sale. There seem to be a lot of those these days near where I live. I find them to be rather creepy but also hard to resist -- this ever since I stopped by one this summer and bought two fantastic Tim Horton coffee mugs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tim-Hortons-Restaurant-Mug-Gold-and-Cream-No-number-on-bottom-EUC-/221321911388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3387d05c5c

Larry, I used to live in the Chicagoland area, not far from where you are presently located. The area is great for estate sales, book sales, garage sales, etc. At the time I was pretty heavily into used and rare books and I put in a good deal of time at these sales. It can become quite an addiction, reinforced when one makes a great "score." I still find them hard to resist :w

FWIW, yes, there is a Gambit CD with all the Hillcrest stuff. You can tell what is sourced from where-- the Inner City/America tracks have much better fidelity. I always loved "The Blessing" best of all from these performances.

Thanks for mentioning the Gambit CD and for the additional information. I was always a little uncertain about that performance, so today I learned a lot.