Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

zzgoldenrainbalineseg_101b.jpg

Haven't pulled this almost-NOT-underground Cult Classic out for more than 30 years, and wasn't sure if I'd respond with eye-rolling "oh, it all seemed so EXOTIC tehn", or more of the WTF?!?!?! impressions of back then. Ended up with none of the former and most of the latter, although not so much at the "different-ness" as at the sheer intensity.

Does this ever make any of those "Records That Changed The World" lists? Because back in the day, it seemed like those of a certain "experimental" musical bent either had it or were familiar with it. And although The Monkey Chant is kind of a World Must Greatest Hits, the other side, there is some shit in there that had me wondering if a Drum 'N Bass record had come on in the other room or something. THAT stuff I had forgotten about!

There was a lot of great and surprising music on that Nonesuch Explorer series.

Agreed. The gamelan titles are particularly heavy, though.

3685060.jpg

FOUR COMPOSITION (QUARTET) 1984 - Anthony Braxton, Marilyn Crispell, John Lindberg, Gerry Hemingway. Black Saint.

That's the one they printed with the wrong album title. Later re-released as "Six Compositions For Quartet." Great band. I need to pick this up one of these days--it's one of the few Braxton quartet albums I don't own

3685060.jpg

FOUR COMPOSITION (QUARTET) 1984 - Anthony Braxton, Marilyn Crispell, John Lindberg, Gerry Hemingway. Black Saint.

That's the one they printed with the wrong album title. Later re-released as "Six Compositions For Quartet." Great band. I need to pick this up one of these days--it's one of the few Braxton quartet albums I don't own

Wonder how that happened? ^_^

Some ferocious playing here:

coltra_john_jupiterva_101b.jpg

THE MASTERY OF JOHN COLTRANE, VOL. III, "JUPITER VARIATION" - Impulse LP.

22116.jpg

I like the original America cover better, but that was not available to me then, and besides, same music, and if you snuck it onto somebody's changer at a party, they'd see the green label and think, oh, Miles? Coltrane? Charles Earland? and you'd feign inattentiveness and say...huh? Oh, yeah, uh-huh, uh...right.

Some parties that worked better than at others, but it did work some!

MI0002042971.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

LOST IN L.A. - Bobby Bradford and the Mo'Tet: Bradford (cornet), James Kousakis (as), Roberto Miguel Miranda (b), Marl Dresser (b), Sherman Ferguson (d).

Does anyone know anything about James Kousakis? This appears to be the only record he appears on; rather unusual for someone playing with this type of ensemble.

A.Braxton-Five-Compsitions.jpg

FIVE COMPOSITIONS (QUARTET) 1986 - Anthony Braxton (as, ts, sopranino, C melody sax, cl, fl), David Rosenboom (p), Mark Dresser (b), Gerry Hemingway (d). Black Saint LP.

Here is part of David Rosenboom's "vita" from his website:

• Rosenboom holds the Richard Seaver Distinguished Chair in Music in The Herb Alpert School of Music at California Institute of the Arts, where he has been Dean of the School of Music since 1990, a conductor with the New Century Players, Co­Director of the Center for Experiments in Art, Information and Technology, and member of the Center for New Performance. In 2011 he also served as Acting Co-President for CalArts. He taught at Mills College from 1979 to 1990, held the Darius Milhaud Chair, was Professor of Music, Head of the Music Department, and Director of the Center for Contemporary Music. His independent career outside institutions has spanned international performance and composition, consulting, recording, writing, instrument design, interdisciplinary research, and multi-media production.

LOST IN L.A. - Bobby Bradford and the Mo'Tet: Bradford (cornet), James Kousakis (as), Roberto Miguel Miranda (b), Marl Dresser (b), Sherman Ferguson (d).

Does anyone know anything about James Kousakis? This appears to be the only record he appears on; rather unusual for someone playing with this type of ensemble.

He seems to have Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/people/James-Kousakis/100002298000454

For me, his playing is the weakest part of that record.

He seems to have Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/people/James-Kousakis/100002298000454

I think that might be the son. Looks a little too young based on the photo on the back of the jacket, and the 1981 recording date. But I agree with your assessment. That was why I was kind of wondering who or how someone with so little--actually none-- recording experience could be selected to play with veteran musicians. I might ask Bobby Bradford when I see him this week.

FIVE COMPOSITIONS (QUARTET) 1986 - Anthony Braxton (as, ts, sopranino, C melody sax, cl, fl), David Rosenboom (p), Mark Dresser (b), Gerry Hemingway (d). Black Saint LP.

• Rosenboom holds the Richard Seaver Distinguished Chair in Music in The Herb Alpert School of Music at California Institute of the Arts, where he has been Dean of the School of Music since 1990, a conductor with the New Century Players, Co­Director of the Center for Experiments in Art, Information and Technology, and member of the Center for New Performance. In 2011 he also served as Acting Co-President for CalArts. He taught at Mills College from 1979 to 1990, held the Darius Milhaud Chair, was Professor of Music, Head of the Music Department, and Director of the Center for Contemporary Music. His independent career outside institutions has spanned international performance and composition, consulting, recording, writing, instrument design, interdisciplinary research, and multi-media production.

Rosenboom put out some interesting albums in the 1970s. I recommend the two-piano one with J.B. Floyd.

He was also on the Mike Douglas show when John Lennon and Yoko Ono were co-hosts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OaumT8w8o

Rosenboom put out some interesting albums in the 1970s. I recommend the two-piano one with J.B. Floyd.

He was also on the Mike Douglas show when John Lennon and Yoko Ono were co-hosts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OaumT8w8o

That's some heeeaaaaavvvvvyyy sheeeat man! Haha...

I used to own a few David Rosenboom albums...still have his "Brainwave music" CD reissued on the Japanese EM Records label. Interesting stuff for sure...

Touch-1024x1024.jpg

Nice one! :tup:tup

Sticking with Mr. Anthony Braxton for the moment:

Anthony-Braxton-Six-Compositions-Quartet

SIX COMPOSITIONS: QUARTET - Antilles LP- Anthony Braxton (as, ts, B-flat soprano, E-flat soprano, contrabass cl, Anthony Davis (p), Mark Helias (b), Ed Blackwell (d).

back at ya with :tup:tup for that Braxton

I think that might be the son. Looks a little too young based on the photo on the back of the jacket, and the 1981 recording date. But I agree with your assessment. That was why I was kind of wondering who or how someone with so little--actually none-- recording experience could be selected to play with veteran musicians. I might ask Bobby Bradford when I see him this week.

His playing ability on that record might be why we haven't heard more from him.