• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to replay these recent arrivals to try to get a firmer perspective on them:

nblp75.jpg

LIVE IN LISBON - Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio & Peter Evans. NoBusiness LP.

When I first listened to this LP, I tended to focus on Peter Evans, not surprisingly since he is in top form here. Amado did not break through to me on that first listen. The problem is that Evans buzzes around Amado like a maddened hornet buzzing around the head of a hapless picnicker. A couple of times, Amado tries to close the distance with Evans, then decides to go with the ground game; a fairly sensible decision. Amado is fine, I just don't think he does anything that stands out.

malus.jpg

MALUS - Nate Wooley, Hugo Antunes, Chris Corsano. NoBusiness.

"Malus" failed to knock me out on first or second listen. On this go-round, my reaction was the same. A good record, but for some reason it never quite gets off the ground. It almost comes off like a lower-case performance. There's a dark and doleful atmosphere throughout. Biggest surprise--I'm really tempted to say disappointment--is Corsano. Probably the flattest performance I've heard from him.

1394822018_front.jpg

DASHES TO DASHES: Boots Brown- Mats Gustafsson (as), Johan Berthling (b), Magnus Broo (tp), David Stackenas (g). Hapner LP.

I didn't realize it when I picked it up at the Swedish Azz show, but the vinyl is a cool chocolate brown color. But to be perfectly blunt about the music, I found it rather a bore. It's Mat in quiet mode, so if you like that kind of thing, this might work for you. I kept thinking of paint drying.

$T2eC16F,!y0E9s2S5V4gBQMR8UoYG!~~60_57.J

had that many moons ago. good memories.

now off to hear roscoe and mike reed.

1394822018_front.jpg

DASHES TO DASHES: Boots Brown- Mats Gustafsson (as), Johan Berthling (b), Magnus Broo (tp), David Stackenas (g). Hapner LP.

I didn't realize it when I picked it up at the Swedish Azz show, but the vinyl is a cool chocolate brown color. But to be perfectly blunt about the music, I found it rather a bore. It's Mat in quiet mode, so if you like that kind of thing, this might work for you. I kept thinking of paint drying.

i hate that cover.

had that many moons ago. good memories.

now off to hear roscoe and mike reed.

1394822018_front.jpg

i hate that cover.

Pseudo-Magritte I suppose. I wish I was off to see Roscoe and Mike Reed!

85256.jpg

I HEAR YOU JOHN - Walt Dickerson (vibes) & Jimmi Johnson (perc). Live, Oct 2, 1978. SteepleChase LP.

and:

John_Coltrane_Interstellar_Space.jpg

INTERSTELLAR SPACE - John Coltrane (ts, bells), Rashied Ali (d). Rec. Feb 22, 1967. Impulse! LP.

One of my desert island albums.

That Dickerson's been sitting in my 'to buy' basket for far too long. I need to buy it - thanks for the reminder