• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lennie Hambro Quintet--------The nature of things---------(Fontana UK)

Session mainly interesting for the excellent piano of Eddie Costa and guitarists Sal Salvador and Barry Galbraith. Well worth hearing. Hambro isn't the most fluent of players - sounds quite "jerky" on alto.

UJ&RE 'United Live - Opus Sechs' (Mood)

$(KGrHqZ,!iYE3dEG+c5nBOCPL-yPR!~~0_35.JP

Signed by Jon Hiseman, Barbara Thomson and Eberhard Weber

Nice record. Good band. Bought mine at a Barbara Thompson gig.

Yes, have it on CD but couldn't resist a vinyl copy when I saw it today. This one also came with a really neat Contemporary Music network colour tour brochure. Not bad for six quid !

Jackie McLean "one step beyond" (blue note, NY USA mono with ear) a stone mint and dead silent record...amazing fidelity! I love this band so much...killer music.

Too bad (at least imo) that Jackie McLean went back to more conventional hard bop. Perhaps he felt that was the better way to make a living, or perhaps he had other reasons.

Jackie McLean "one step beyond" (blue note, NY USA mono with ear) a stone mint and dead silent record...amazing fidelity! I love this band so much...killer music.

Too bad (at least imo) that Jackie McLean went back to more conventional hard bop. Perhaps he felt that was the better way to make a living, or perhaps he had other reasons.

I'm inclined to agree; to me this band was his artistic pinnacle even though I still enjoy "right now", "it's time" and many of his other mid to late 60s Blue Notes. They're just not as adventurous as this group that made this album and "destination out"(albeit different rhythm section).

107.jpg

The Beatles Anthology 3, I always thought the Beatles are just perfect for sunday mornings.

There are a lot of radio stations here (U.S.) that run "Breakfast with the Beatles" shows on Sunday mornings, and you're right, it's a good fit.

Edited by Leeway

Emcee 5 'Let's Take Five' (UK Columbia mono EP)

carrEmcee5.jpg

Newcastle hard bop's finest hour ! (or 15 mins)

:blink:

Just revisited that one on Spotify. Remarkable product for an English provincial city! Some ambiguity online about the lineup though. Do you know who's exactly on the record, Sidewinder?

carrEmcee5.jpg

Just revisited that one on Spotify. Remarkable product for an English provincial city! Some ambiguity online about the lineup though. Do you know who's exactly on the record, Sidewinder?

Bill - it is a remarkable artefact of British modern jazz. From a time when 5 guys from the jazz outpost that is Newcastle came from nowhere and blew the Londoners off the stand (Messrs Hayes and Scott excepted). Dennis Preston heard a demo disk and brought them down to Lansdowne ASAP for this Columbia EP. The band is Ian Carr (trumpet - his first major record date), Gary Cox (tenor), Mike Carr (piano), Spike Heatley (bass) and Ronnie Stephenson (drums). Hence the track 'Stephenson's Rocket' (also a local railway 'project' :cool: ). Side 1 has two of Mike Carr's originals (including aforementioned 'Rocket'). Side 2 has Gary Cox's 'Preludes' - which was apparently commisioned for an arts show on Tyne-Tees TV and to my ears is reminiscent of Rendell-Carr.

I've read that the great front sleeve design was done by one Eric Burdon Esq. but the credit on the back of the sleeve is to some other name. Must have been Eric working under an alias I guess.

I'm pretty sure that the line-up is as stated on the EP. This also lines up with the details in board member RogerF's Ian Carr discography and also the details on the 'Emcee 5 - Bebop From The East Coast' compilation.

Edited by sidewinder

carrEmcee5.jpg

Bill - it is a remarkable artefact of British modern jazz. From a time when 5 guys from the jazz outpost that is Newcastle came from nowhere and blew the Londoners off the stand (Messrs Hayes and Scott excepted). Dennis Preston heard a demo disk and brought them down to Lansdowne ASAP for this Columbia EP. The band is Ian Carr (trumpet - his first major record date), Gary Cox (tenor), Mike Carr (piano), Spike Heatley (bass) and Ronnie Stephenson (drums). Hence the track 'Stephenson's Rocket' (also a local railway 'project' :cool: ). Side 1 has two of Mike Carr's originals (including aforementioned 'Rocket'). Side 2 has Gary Cox's 'Preludes' - which was apparently commisioned for an arts show on Tyne-Tees TV and to my ears is reminiscent of Rendell-Carr.

I've read that the great front sleeve design was done by one Eric Burdon Esq. but the credit on the back of the sleeve is to some other name. Must have been Eric working under an alias I guess.

I'm pretty sure that the line-up is as stated on the EP. This also lines up with the details in board member RogerF's Ian Carr discography and also the details on the 'Emcee 5 - Bebop From The East Coast' compilation.

Thanks for the info Sidewinder. Bassist Danny Padmore who came from Newcastle and was at university with me in Leeds in the mid-60s used to speak of the Emcee 5 in tones of awe. Incidentally, he didn't do too badly himself, as he's on this one along with John Bunch and Jon Eardley:

2650414.jpg

Edited by BillF