• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a3949417406_2.jpg Jamison Williams - Disney Classics, Vol. VI (Vantage Bulletin). Okay, this is weird. Jamison Williams is a Florida avant-garde saxophonist who is seemingly obsessed with all things Disney. This is the sixth extremely-limited-edition 7" record of solo soprano sax deconstructions of Disney songs he has put out. Each one is hand-lathed and comes with a "read-along storybook," as shown here. This one has "A Spoonful of Sugar" on one side and "When You Wish Upon a Star" on the other. I also bought a similar limited-edition cassette (with storybook) of two duets with Dan Kozac: "Zip a Dee Doo Day" and "The Bare Necessities." The package (which arrived today) was full of all sorts of freebies, including several CDrs and another cassette. It's all intriguing and fascinating, but I need to do some further listening to decided how good it actually is.

I find that whole idea oddly intriguing and tempting. I don't know why but maybe because it harks back to early childhood music/book packages, some great tunes and combuines that with a cottage-industry/craftsman, self production ethos.I'd love to hear and see one in the flesh Do you know this: Hal-Willner-Stay-Awake-Album.jpg Brilliant (though high production) set of completely varied Disney interpretations. Imagine the Disney songbook up to the late 60s played by the houseband on Pinocchio's Pleasure Island. A rather disturbing listen.No I don't but I'll look it up. There's the Sun Ra Disney on Leo Records too

I remember seeing Ra and co singing 'Zipedee Do Da' about 20 years ago..

2jr7.jpg

Liz Gorrill/Lenny Popkin/Eddie Gomez - True Fun (Jazz). I found this 1984 LP today. It's on the label dedicated to Lennie Tristano and his followers, discussed recently I'm really glad I picked this up - it's Tristano-influenced, but goes pretty far afield. Popkin's "True Fun," based on "There Will Never Be Another You," and parts of Tristano's "Lennie's Pennies" sound the most Tristano-ish, but Gorrill's "Astral Projection" is a modal vamp tune, and the three-part "Suite for Vincent" is apparently totally improvised by the trio. Gorrill is more aggressive and hard-edged than Lennie, and even plays the first head of "Lennie's Pennies" as a boogie-woogie(!).

A little poking around the internet reveals that Gorrill later had a health crisis, followed by a spiritual experience, and is now known as Kazzrie Jaxen. The quality of True Fun is so high that I just might set aside my aversion to new-age spirituality and check out some of Jaxen's music.

Edited by jeffcrom

This morning, Things Ain't What They Used to Be (Coleman Hawkins, Al Sears, Pee Wee Russell, etc.) (Prestige Swingville), and Bunky Green, Testifying' Time (Argo).

Curiously, Joe Goldberg's liner notes to Things Ain't ... talk about Buddy Tate, rather than Al Sears, who is actually the leader of half of the album.

Edited by kh1958