• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lawrence Marable 4tet w/James Clay "tenorman" (jazz west/Toshiba, Japan mono). An older friend of mine has two(!!) original pressings of this album.  I didn't feel like paying him $700 for his VG+ spare so I bought this nice reissue for $25 instead!

George Otsuka 5 "Go on" (three blind mice, Japan). Great 1972 session.

Jackie McLean "live at Montmartre" (steeplechase, Denmark). A rare local record store find; $6 (that's like $3.75 usd now) for a NM laminated Danish original..gives me hope local stores aren't entirely pointless.

On 12.1.2016 at 3:58 AM, jeffcrom said:

http://bird.parkerslegacy.com/dialSPlist/guildedujazz1245a.jpg

Festival du Jazz Moderne (Guilde du Jazz). An interesting hodgepodge of tracks, including a rare Steve Lacy appearance from 1956, "Indian Blanket" by the Joe Puma Quintet. I had been looking for this for awhile, since "Indian Blanket" was the only track from the first ten years of Lacy's recording career that I did not have in physical form.

This is the French version of a Jazztone album called Modern Jazz Festival, but that one must be extremely rare - I see Jazztone albums all the time, but have never come across that one, and I've been looking for many years. This French LP, which I recently found online, is in nice condition.

Intersting to see you mention this compilation. Time to spin it again, maybe. I've no idea if it really is that scarce. Maybe Stateside but over here?  (I found my copy two years ago at a weekly fleamarket during my holidays in Southern France - used but not totally abused, and at 1 EUR what can you say? ;) ) At any rate, I am far from sure if qualifying this sort of V.A. jazz album from that period as "hodgepodge" really does this kind of albums justice in each case. Remember many V.A. albums (particularly in the "Jazztone" market segment) were intended as "introductions to jazz" at a time when 12in LPs were comparatively expensive, at least over here. Not many would purchase jazz 12in albums by the armload.

Quite apart from that, I find this particular compuilation even less of a "hodgepodge". On the one hand, a lot of the tracks seem to come from the Dawn label, so it might actually serve as an introduction to the catalog of that label, much like their own "Critics' Choice" album (DLP 1123). And what is more (much more IMHO) is that in additin to the tracks you highlighted this album contains more rarities as it rounds off the ACTUAL sessions for Dawn. I haven't checked all the tracks but at least the tracks by Gene Quill (Rubbin' The Genie), Zoot Sims (When The Blues Come On) and Paul Quinichette (If I'm Lucky) were not included on their respective featured LP releases on Dawn but were additional tracks (or "leftovers" or whatever) assembled here. Much like some of the "Jazz West Coast" series and other samplers on the Pacific Jazz label. Not the worst kind of album compilation to satisfy discographically minded vinyl completists, don't you think? ;)

On 1/12/2016 at 1:04 PM, alankin said:

Coincidentally, I just listened to "Winner's Circle" on Coltrane's "Bethlehem Years" CD.  Alas, it doesn't include "Strictly Instrumental".  However the track was a bonus on two Japanese CD issues: COCY 78660 (from 1995) and COCY-80698.

Thanks for the info.

And Steve, I also think that it's a very musically valuable and interesting collection of tracks. My use of the word "hodgepodge" was prompted by somewhat random nature of the collection - besides tracks from Dawn, there are tracks from Bethlehem, Roost, and Dial. I get the impression that some producer shopped around a bunch of tracks which were unissued or out of print at the time, resulting in this record and the Harmony album of the same title (Modern Jazz Festival). The Harmony has a bunch of tracks from some of the same sessions and is an equally interesting album.

As far as rarity, part of me thinks that the American Jazztone Modern Jazz Festival never actually existed - or at least that it was pressed in extremely small quantities. In any case, I'm glad to have both records.

Edited by jeffcrom

41 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

As far as rarity, part of me thinks that the American Jazztone Modern Jazz Concert never actually existed - or at least that it was pressed in extremely small quantities. In any case, I'm glad to have both records.

"Modern Jazz Festival" on (American) Jazztone, you mean?

I don't know about your copy of this guilde du Jazz pressing but mine has the record title in French on the front and in English on the back of the cover. But Jepsen's discography marks the Dawn tracks explicitly as being released on EUROPEAN Jazztone J-1245. Maybe an indication to confirm your suspicions?

18 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

"Modern Jazz Festival" on (American) Jazztone, you mean?

I don't know about your copy of this guilde du Jazz pressing but mine has the record title in French on the front and in English on the back of the cover. But Jepsen's discography marks the Dawn tracks explicitly as being released on EUROPEAN Jazztone J-1245. Maybe an indication to confirm your suspicions?

Corrected in my post.

Same with the English title on back of my copy. And, yes, my suspicions that the American issue doesn't actually exist are based on the fact that I found so much incomplete and contradictory information about it.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Lacy/Puma contained on a 2-CD Fresh Sounds issue, but that's probably not what you mean by "physical form".

I was aware of that, but didn't want to go there, partly because I had every other track on LP. I've had a download in my iPod for years, but due to my age and inclination, it never seemed "real."

5 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Sorry yes you're right it's a matte flip back sleeve; confused it with the laminated "ghetto lullaby" I also picked up...strangely priced at $12!  Guess the store liked that album more..

I am pretty sure I've only listened to "Ghetto Lullaby" once. Need to revisit...