• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hank Mobley "roll call" (blue note, 47 w 63rd mono). After years of trying to find a reasonably priced copy, I was ecstatic when an older friend of mine let me "dig" through his collection a bit this afternoon.  This was a stamped review copy in pristine condition and he let me have it for a fraction of recent eBay prices :)

Also picked up a nice mono original of Booker Little's album on Time for a really good price so that's up next on the turntable!

12 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Hank Mobley "roll call" (blue note, 47 w 63rd mono). After years of trying to find a reasonably priced copy, I was ecstatic when an older friend of mine let me "dig" through his collection a bit this afternoon.  This was a stamped review copy in pristine condition and he let me have it for a fraction of recent eBay prices :)

Also picked up a nice mono original of Booker Little's album on Time for a really good price so that's up next on the turntable!

Congrats!

Took a day off from the day gig (needed) and now spinning:

Jackie McLean - Tippin' the Scales - (BN King Japan orig)

13 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

R-6938930-1429970159-3066.jpeg.jpg

Bought this album a few months ago. ( 200gr.  Japanese mono pressing )

IMHO a super pressing, ( all items out of this series )

Edited by tomatamot

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

As a bonus, I believe that these records were cut by RVG from his master tapes so they sound pretty good.

That whole Savoy twofer series was fantastic.  I picked up most of the UK/German issues when they came out. The later US-only issues such as 'Gong' were a bit harder to get hold of but they do crop up over here and I have most of them.

The UK issue of Coltrane/Harden 'Countdown' and Byrd 'Long Green' sound particularly good and full of 'umph'.

15 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

My favourite issue of that Booker Little was put out in the mid 70s by Richard Williams on Island Records as 'The Legendary Quartet Album'. 

Good haul on the Mobley - my 47W63rd mono copy has a deep groove on one side I think so the session must have been issued in the transitionary era. 'Soul Station' has deep grooves on both sides.

17 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That whole Savoy twofer series was fantastic.  I picked up most of the UK/German issues when they came out. The later US-only issues such as 'Gong' were a bit harder to get hold of but they do crop up over here and I have most of them.

The UK issue of Coltrane/Harden 'Countdown' and Byrd 'Long Green' sound particularly good and full of 'umph'.

My favourite issue of that Booker Little was put out in the mid 70s by Richard Williams on Island Records as 'The Legendary Quartet Album'. 

Good haul on the Mobley - my 47W63rd mono copy has a deep groove on one side I think so the session must have been issued in the transitionary era. 'Soul Station' has deep grooves on both sides.

Mine is deep groove side one too, but it exists as a deep groove on both sides too.  I know because another local friend of mine owns one.  He claims the DG both sides is a true original, but my copy is a stamped review copy so who's to know for sure?

Anyway the copy I bought looks like brand new so I'm a happy camper :)

I could not afford his original Tempo "progress report" unfortunately!