Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Great heavy vinyl original copy I plucked off amazon for less than 6 dollars total. . . just a bit of crackle. Listening to the Condon side. Don't have to tell anyone here how great these fifties Columbia records sound.

ColumbiaCL-547.gif

Yes they do, though apparently we are imagining it. I think their sixties records also sound great.

32 minutes ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Joe Henderson "our thing" (blue note, NY mono ear) absolute pristine copy but alas the dreaded pressing bubble...3 distinct little pops in like 5 seconds or so disturb an otherwise sublime playback :(

Good thing I have the recent Japanese SHM CD as well!

I own this one sans bubble (sorry) ... bought it mail order when I was in college in the early 80s.  I adore this album.  My copy has some very unique drawings on the back ... discussed in this thread (towards the bottom of the first page) if you are interested:

Edited by Eric

26 minutes ago, Eric said:

I own this one sans bubble (sorry) ... bought it mail order when I was in college in the early 80s.  I adore this album.  My copy has some very unique drawings on the back ... discussed in this thread (towards the bottom of the first page) if you are interested:

Cool!  My stereo ear copy of "in n out" has Joe's autograph on the back.

the pressing bubble is a bit of a bummer, but the record is like brand new and has tremendous fidelity..so I'd almost rather have this then more consistent surface crackling or groove distortion.  So tough to find blue notes dead clean!

12 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Cool!  My stereo ear copy of "in n out" has Joe's autograph on the back.

the pressing bubble is a bit of a bummer, but the record is like brand new and has tremendous fidelity..so I'd almost rather have this then more consistent surface crackling or groove distortion.  So tough to find blue notes dead clean!

Not so hard to understand when you realize what most people were using to play them back in the 50's & 60's.

I still remember stacking several LPs for playback at my parents' parties. By the time the 4th or 5th LP fell, the playback started back slow as the record slid a bit on the stack below it. We really abused LPs back in the day.

6 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Not so hard to understand when you realize what most people were using to play them back in the 50's & 60's.

I still remember stacking several LPs for playback at my parents' parties. By the time the 4th or 5th LP fell, the playback started back slow as the record slid a bit on the stack below it. We really abused LPs back in the day.

I was lucky in that when I grew up in the 'fifties and 'sixties my Dad had an AR turntable (and Dynaco system) given to him by a parishioner of his who was transferred to England and decided not to take his stereo with him. Never had a changer, never got to stack records. And when I got systems I never bought a changer either. So his records (which I now have) and mine from when I first bought records near the end of the 'sixties are in really good shape, luckily. But yeah, many got trashed on those changers.

7 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Explains why my parents meager record collection looks like someone took a quarter and went to town on the grooves!