• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kell(e)y Great- Wynton Kelly. Veejay. There are some wild solos on here by Wayne Shorter particularly on Wrinkles and Mama G. 1959. Wayne is way out there. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:49 PM, sidewinder said:

Sonny Rollins Quintet 'Plays For Bird' (Esquire)

Great record. I can remember when these Esquire issues used to be well thumbed, cheap and generally passed over in London record shops in favour of US issues or UK reissues. I can also remember a massive dump of Esquires, 10”, 78s etc in Rays, a lot sleeveless, going for peanuts.  

3 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Great record. I can remember when these Esquire issues used to be well thumbed, cheap and generally passed over in London record shops in favour of US issues or UK reissues. I can also remember a massive dump of Esquires, 10”, 78s etc in Rays, a lot sleeveless, going for peanuts.  

Not for many a year now, sadly. Nor were they ever available in any significant quantity, especially the earlier ones.

I don't remember seeing any if these in Ray's, although I do recall they held a warehouse load of Dial 78s and the like but that would be in the 1980s.

Playback quality usually trounces Prestige originals as (unlike Prestige) they don't use recycled vinyl.

Edited by sidewinder

Mosaic 'The Complete Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura & Flip Phillips Studio Sessions' - First 3 LPs of Ventura material.

Very rich sounding, glad I went for the LP option all those years ago when it was on 'last chance'. The Ventura tracks are interesting and full of beans !

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, Niko said:

That's been on my wishlist for a long time, never saw it so far...

I found my copy on Discogs a few years ago.  I got lucky because the reseller was based in the U.S. -- so shipping costs were reasonable.