What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

13 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Mode Records  MOD_LP # 127 - "Leonard Feather Presents Bop" - The George Wallington Septet - rec. 1957 - Engineer: Dayton Howe

45323492cf.jpg

45323494xw.jpg

45323493qx.jpg

Great song list !

I have heard sometimes the name George Wallington but never heard him play. 

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-6939.jpg
IMG-6940.jpg

Probably my favorite Clark. Lovely Japanese issue but I forgot it has an issue on side A. Anyone around here knows what this is? If you take a close look you see small white spots on the vinyl. Unfortunately they are hearable as small glitches in the sound. They do ruin the listening a experience a little…

15 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-6939.jpg
IMG-6940.jpg

Probably my favorite Clark. Lovely Japanese issue but I forgot it has an issue on side A. Anyone around here knows what this is? If you take a close look you see small white spots on the vinyl. Unfortunately they are hearable as small glitches in the sound. They do ruin the listening a experience a little…

They might be a pressing fault. Are they raised? If so might be worth very gently seeing if they're just something stuck on. I've had success removing such detritus a few times but it's not normally as much as I think I see in your photo.

I'm now playing 'The Angels of Atlanta' because you mentioned it elsewhere. What a great album

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

They might be a pressing fault. Are they raised? If so might be worth very gently seeing if they're just something stuck on. I've had success removing such detritus a few times but it's not normally as much as I think I see in your photo.

I'm now playing 'The Angels of Atlanta' because you mentioned it elsewhere. What a great album

I did wash it one time. Maybe I should try that again. But I am afraid it’s in the grooves…

Thats a lovely album by Hannibal. The choir really ads something like it did with Max Roach records as well.

Now playing:

IMG-6942.jpg

Edited by Pim

8 minutes ago, Pim said:

I did wash it one time. Maybe I should try that again. But I am afraid it’s in the grooves…

Thats a lovely album by Hannibal. The choir really ads something like it did with Max Roach records as well.

Yes, it is really good.

Looking again and I think that's pressing faults on the Clark.

I'm really enjoying your old copy of Archie Shepp at the moment!

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re: George Wallington

Great song list !

I have heard sometimes the name George Wallington but never heard him play. 

Another fine album:

VERVE MV 2539 (Japan) - George Wallington Trio & Eddie Costa Trio

45729316kc.jpg

45729318zp.jpg

45729317hu.jpg

2 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-6939.jpg
IMG-6940.jpg

That's a pressing defect. It's underfill and when it looks like that, it's normally called stitching. It is almost always audible and usually results in a ripping sound as the needle traverses those damaged areas.

55 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That's a pressing defect. It's underfill and when it looks like that, it's normally called stitching. It is almost always audible and usually results in a ripping sound as the needle traverses those damaged areas.

Thanks Kevin. I wish I had seen it right away. Normally I always check the records after buying but I remember I did not with this one…

The Cars - Heartbeat City (Elektra). I haven't spun these old Cars LPs in years. Fun 80's pop. Lousy band to see live back in the day. Doesn't mean I didn't go several times though. :)

Heartbeat City - Wikipedia

I actually have this gatefold cover. I never realized that there was more than one cover for this LP.

The Cars - Heartbeat City (1984) : r/vinyl

Ah... the top one is the CD gatefold and the bottom one is the LP.

Don Elliott & Rusty Dedrick - Counterpoint for Six Valves (Riverside, mono)

"Featuring the modern jazz compositions of Dick Hyman."

My parents were in the biz and they frequently worked with Don Elliott.

Rusty Dedrick is the Uncle of The Free Design.

My copy of this LP was previously owned by Saul "Sandy" Feldstein of Freeport, NY, who was a percussionist.  

https://www.pas.org/about/hall-of-fame/sandy-feldstein

The house Sandy lived in was built in 1953, but judging from Zillow, someone tried to turn it into a McMansion.  How sad.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

Ni03ODUwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Mose Allison - S/T (Prestige, 1972, 2 LPs)

This album collects Allison's first two LPs: Back Country Suite and Local Color, both of which were recorded in 1957.

:D 👍  like both albums very much when they were issued.

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Timeless All Stars, Timeless Heart (Timeless)

Max Roach Quintet, The Many Sides of Max (Mercury)image.jpeg.06b14f8e267206b372e43999716c66b2.jpeg

image.jpeg.d4d98d64d8c42ec7b310ae3facc1ceba.jpeg

The strange thing is that when I was at the jazz festival Wiesen in 1983 the Timeless All Stars were scheduled and to my astonishment and delightment it was Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. One of the best bands of acoustic jazz I ever heard. So it was "only" Hutch and Higgins from the "All Stars". Of course I heard the others separately, those artists were touring Europe pretty much in that period. Heard Harold Land with Diz the same year in autumn too. I saw also Max Roach very often, he was one of my first idols on drums and on music in general. 

58 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The strange thing is that when I was at the jazz festival Wiesen in 1983 the Timeless All Stars were scheduled and to my astonishment and delightment it was Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. One of the best bands of acoustic jazz I ever heard. 

This was an excellent concert ....